Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

audioeyes
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2009, 5:16 am

pensieve wrote:
I think it's if it's worn in certain areas it ok, like the grocery store. I hate supermarkets and often shut down, so wearing something like an autism badge might make people less impatient with me.
Because I'm too poor to pay $3.50 for a badge I made these:

If someone makes fun of you for being autistic they are the lowest form of human life and you should pity them not feel embarrassed or hurt by what they say.

Btw, many christians and gay people show their pride by wearing shirts or something that shows who they are. Jesus fish? Cross around the neck?

Amazing! Support everything you say there 100% :D :D

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 4:02 pm

I would prefer to wear one which says "I'm ignoring you, and I have Autism."

Taking a break.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2009, 7:06 pm

pensieve wrote:

If someone makes fun of you for being autistic they are the lowest form of human life and you should pity them not feel embarrassed or hurt by what they say.

Btw, many christians and gay people show their pride by wearing shirts or something that shows who they are. Jesus fish? Cross around the neck?

Point taken. If signs or badges work for you then good, but not my sort of thing.

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jul 2009, 8:10 pm

Personally, if I were to do that, then people would just assume that I was trying to be funny and confront me about it.

Then again, I don't get followed around in grocery/department stores. Apparently, I'm not giving off "theif/weirdo" vibes.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jul 2009, 5:49 pm

pensieve wrote:
pekkla wrote:
I can see where telling people that you're autistic might get a positive reaction in a store, because they will have an explanation for your behavior and stop following you around. But in a job, an employer might simply decide to fire you if they found out, and tell you that you're noy up to the job. Discrimination would rear its ugly head.

Isn't there a law that prohibits employers for sacking someone with autism? There's one in Australia, though I've never managed to get a job to be covered by it.

I was thinking about getting a badge for when I'm at gigs. People treat me like a kid or give me strange looks because I do appear to be quite slow and awkward. I can't buy off the internet so maybe a sticker would suffice?

They don't fire people for that. They make their lives hell, surround them with intolerable circumstances, then fire them for being unreliable or absenteeism or something.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 8:22 pm

Claradoon wrote:
I pinned to my baseball cap a button that says "I'm Not Ignoring You, I Have Autism" and went to the grocery store. It changed the whole experience for the better. Usually people are impatient with me and the staff follow me around like I'm a crook or something. I saw people notice the button and back off. When I got in line at the cash, there was a whole world of difference. People weren't impatient with me like they usually are. The guy behind me wasn't mad at me, like would usually happen. The cashier wasn't impatient. Best of all, I wasn't a wreck when I got home.

Comments, anybody? Especially re the words "autism" and "asperger's" ? Will telling the world about it eventually backfire?

I am sorry that store staff follow you.!? I am glad you did have a good experiance. 8) 8)

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 11:39 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
I would prefer to wear one which says "I'm ignoring you, and I have Autism."

Ha. I was thinking that; what if you are ignoring them? I usually do, but I think that's more of my personality.

Three years!

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jul 2009, 1:42 am

Cad wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
I pinned to my baseball cap a button that says "I'm Not Ignoring You, I Have Autism" and went to the grocery store. It changed the whole experience for the better. Usually people are impatient with me and the staff follow me around like I'm a crook or something. I saw people notice the button and back off. When I got in line at the cash, there was a whole world of difference. People weren't impatient with me like they usually are. The guy behind me wasn't mad at me, like would usually happen. The cashier wasn't impatient. Best of all, I wasn't a wreck when I got home.

Comments, anybody? Especially re the words "autism" and "asperger's" ? Will telling the world about it eventually backfire?

Personally, i would find doing something like that degrading. If i did it people would just point and laugh, and i don't think it's anyone's business if i have aspergers or not. It'd be the same if you were gay and wore a shirt which said Im gay on it, or if you were a christian and wore a shirt which said you were a christian lol. I am not ashamed of aspergers at all but i think you'd be asking for it waring something like that

I am worried about it backfiring but so far it's a definite improvement. I think if you're 22 you've had training, but I'm 59 and just plain weird. Maybe I spook people and they're relieved to find an explanation.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 2:03 am

Myself, I try not to show anything about me based on my appearance alone. That's why I wear 'neat' clothes that have no text or image.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2009, 4:14 am

Claradoon wrote:
Cad wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

Personally, i would find doing something like that degrading. If i did it people would just point and laugh, and i don't think it's anyone's business if i have aspergers or not. It'd be the same if you were gay and wore a shirt which said Im gay on it, or if you were a christian and wore a shirt which said you were a christian lol. I am not ashamed of aspergers at all but i think you'd be asking for it waring something like that

I am worried about it backfiring but so far it's a definite improvement. I think if you're 22 you've had training, but I'm 59 and just plain weird. Maybe I spook people and they're relieved to find an explanation.

arrgh! too many quotes!
Then if it hasn't backfired, I say go for it Claradoon :)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 11:56 am

Autism has me topic

I just want to learn to give people dirty looks when they say nasty things to me. :evil:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Alraune144
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2009, 2:14 pm

Yeah, and next you can wear a yellow badge and be like the jews, see how fast your rights really will be gone, as well as what little respect people will have for you.

I've been exiled, persecuted, left alone with no defense...

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 2:44 pm

Uuhmm...quite honestly, who ever told you that your avatar is a swastika....lied too you.

Alraune144

10 Aug 2009, 4:29 pm

DaWalker wrote:
Uuhmm...quite honestly, who ever told you that your avatar is a swastika....lied too you.

Its a confederate flag, I know what it ia...just bc my quote sounds german, translate it'll make sense then...if i was a nazi i'd support the marking of genetic anomalies, I am against it, the moment you start marking yourself diff from the majority you put yourself at risk of persecution, why would you want people to know you are an anomalie, so they can treat you like a "special person" where is your respect, or they can just discriminate against you, nothing good will come from telling people you are autistic.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 6:24 pm

Alraune144 wrote:
DaWalker wrote:

Its a confederate flag, I know what it ia...just bc my quote sounds german, translate it'll make sense then...if i was a nazi i'd support the marking of genetic anomalies, I am against it, the moment you start marking yourself diff from the majority you put yourself at risk of persecution, why would you want people to know you are an anomalie, so they can treat you like a "special person" where is your respect, or they can just discriminate against you, nothing good will come from telling people you are autistic.

Absolutely Negative...
Positively arrogant attitudes towards any stereotype can expect a negative reception. I am not responsible for the hatred others attempt to apply towards me. I am not responsible for what I am, nor am I responsible for when or how I got here in the first place. Those who attempt to blame me for their own emotions have a rude awakening coming their way. I am quite passionate about honesty and deception, this certainly is not a politically correct outlook on life, but it is me regardless of the acceptance or lack of by others. What I am responsible for is what I have and what I will become.

Negative political hype would have society believe that autism is a bad thing, like it is a limitation of human potential. I wholeheartedly disagree, in the opposite direction actually. Autistic characteristics are discriminated against by those whom have ran of directions to point their hatred. The autistic people that I do know, are more like an advancement in human evolution, not a limited version of it.

Though I may be limited in some areas, the others have no limits, other than social prejudice through preconceived ignorance. If I keep my mouth shut, like I am supposed to do according to their rules, then of course they win. However, I do refuse to be slandered and put down as the burden of society, truth is, I help others more than most, I don't charge those who cannot afford it and I don't put anybody down until they have attacked me more than once. Most aspies I know share these basic principles towards society as a whole, not any particular division thereof. So if the rest of the world more more like the majority of us as far as humanitarian principles go, the world would infinitely be a better place, Not the other way around.

Alraune144

10 Aug 2009, 8:27 pm

DaWalker wrote:
Alraune144 wrote:
DaWalker wrote:

Absolutely Negative...
Positively arrogant attitudes towards any stereotype can expect a negative reception. I am not responsible for the hatred others attempt to apply towards me. I am not responsible for what I am, nor am I responsible for when or how I got here in the first place. Those who attempt to blame me for their own emotions have a rude awakening coming their way. I am quite passionate about honesty and deception, this certainly is not a politically correct outlook on life, but it is me regardless of the acceptance or lack of by others. What I am responsible for is what I have and what I will become.

Negative political hype would have society believe that autism is a bad thing, like it is a limitation of human potential. I wholeheartedly disagree, in the opposite direction actually. Autistic characteristics are discriminated against by those whom have ran of directions to point their hatred. The autistic people that I do know, are more like an advancement in human evolution, not a limited version of it.

Though I may be limited in some areas, the others have no limits, other than social prejudice through preconceived ignorance. If I keep my mouth shut, like I am supposed to do according to their rules, then of course they win. However, I do refuse to be slandered and put down as the burden of society, truth is, I help others more than most, I don't charge those who cannot afford it and I don't put anybody down until they have attacked me more than once. Most aspies I know share these basic principles towards society as a whole, not any particular division thereof. So if the rest of the world more more like the majority of us as far as humanitarian principles go, the world would infinitely be a better place, Not the other way around.

Go ahead then just walk up and tell ten strangers you are autistic, if you think they are being nicer bc they are good people you are wrong, they are assuming you are "special as in ret*d", they don't care if its called aspergers or whatever, all they hear is autistic and assume you are stupid...its your loss if you insist on telling strangers more then they need to know.