Autism Theory #4,596,143: we're lacking in Vitamin D!

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2008
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,432

18 Jul 2009, 6:35 pm

I saw the following posted as a comment to a survivalist blog entry about swine flu.

Norcal said...
vitamindcouncil.org

This website explained so much to me--

Like so many parents, i thought my son's autism was only from the vaccines

After reading and studying this site and others, i think he was---

l. Vitamin D deficient
2. Reacted to the shots (due in part to Vit D deficiency)
3. Autism ensued

This website taught me so much. Now he's on Vit D supplements and doing so much better :)

July 17, 2009 6:58 PM

So there you have it. Vitamin D deficiency exacerbated by vaccines. So simply give your kid Vitamin D and he'll be all better! The thing I'm worried about is something called Common Sense Deficiency. It afflicts millions and there seems to be no treatment. It is really starting to impact public life, not to mention the suffering that the Common Sense Deficient people themselves endure, so obviously we need billions of dollars in research as well as Defeat Common Sense Deficiency Now! quacks everywhere to treat it by chelating stupidity out of people.



buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2008
Age: 82
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,662

18 Jul 2009, 6:41 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:



Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 683

18 Jul 2009, 6:44 pm

Well said. Voltaire said that common sense is uncommon. The vaccine claim simply won't die for a variety of reasons too tedious to detail, but the vitamin D claim is new to me. Even though the DRI for vit. D has been revised several times in the past decade, I've seen no literature linking a vit. D insufficiency to developmental disorders. Few people have a frank vit. D deficiency, but many, particularly at higher latitudes, may have an insufficiency. Supplementation may help such people. But that has nothing to do with autism or Asperger's in small children.

Did the blog entry happen to mention what form of vitamin D (D1, D3, etc.) was used? Just curious, and have a penchant for detail.



John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,456
Location: The shooting range

18 Jul 2009, 6:45 pm

I was completely healthy when I had the mmr shot, so the viatamin D theory doesn't hold up either.


_________________
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
- Unknown

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud


Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,775
Location: Ohio, USA

18 Jul 2009, 6:49 pm

Been taking Vitamin D (along with other vitamins) for years now. Result: One autistic person who does not have vitamin deficiencies.

Next theory, please?

(Supplementation isn't a bad idea, though. Your body will produce its own if you're out in the sun enough; but if you do it that way, you have to cope with icky sticky sunscreen or else risk skin cancer, so yeah. Go for the supplements.)


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com


ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jun 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,136
Location: New Bern, North Carolina

18 Jul 2009, 6:54 pm

Does this mean that NTs can be cured of Neurotypicality just by not feeding them Vitamin D? Interesting..



pezar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2008
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,432

18 Jul 2009, 7:03 pm

Aoi wrote:
Well said. Voltaire said that common sense is uncommon. The vaccine claim simply won't die for a variety of reasons too tedious to detail, but the vitamin D claim is new to me. Even though the DRI for vit. D has been revised several times in the past decade, I've seen no literature linking a vit. D insufficiency to developmental disorders. Few people have a frank vit. D deficiency, but many, particularly at higher latitudes, may have an insufficiency. Supplementation may help such people. But that has nothing to do with autism or Asperger's in small children.

Did the blog entry happen to mention what form of vitamin D (D1, D3, etc.) was used? Just curious, and have a penchant for detail.


That is the entire entry. I copied and pasted it all, along with the start and end stamps. People were talking about how humans may produce less vitamin D in winter because of lack of sunlight, and how this may help flu bugs activate. Apparently Argentina is having a horrible time with swine flu, it's mutated and become more like the 1918 flu, and they have virtually no functioning government so they didn't get on top of it, and now all the schools have been shut down and everybody is ordered to stay indoors unless absolutely necessary. It is winter in Argentina now, of course.



pezar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2008
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,432

18 Jul 2009, 7:03 pm

ColdBlooded wrote:
Does this mean that NTs can be cured of Neurotypicality just by not feeding them Vitamin D? Interesting..


We may have found the holy grail of ending office politics!



Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 346

18 Jul 2009, 7:10 pm

I am not sure if I agree with that theory. Only because people who lack Vitamin D also suffer from Rickets, which is a bone disorder caused by lack of Vitamin D. So, I think anyway, if it is true that we lack vitamin D, then we must have bone pain, deformed legs and arms, and we all must be in wheel chairs or have some bone problems. I actually for one do not lack it and am in the normal range,according to my recent blood test a couple of weeks ago.
But thank you for sharing your theory. I am not sure if others agree with my statement, but I am just saying what I think, or as what was told to me by many doctors.



SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,058
Location: Ohio, USA

18 Jul 2009, 7:17 pm

It's genetics...I think all of these theories are just a scapegoat, people's wishful thinking, and false hopes.



pezar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2008
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,432

18 Jul 2009, 8:05 pm

SilverStar wrote:
It's genetics...I think all of these theories are just a scapegoat, people's wishful thinking, and false hopes.


People really, really seem not to want to hear that autism is genetic, and that Weird Uncle Bob was simply autistic, and that grandma who had the crazy mood swings contributed too. How else to explain all these kooky theories? It's as if people would fall apart emotionally if they learned that their child was born autistic. All the hints about genocide of autistic people, talk of conspiracies involving millions of pediatricians and the government, I mean people are really starting to wig out about this. We've already had a number of cases of moms killing their autistic kids, and the courts let them off easy. We seem to be the new Jews.

Will we be exterminated under the Obama health care plan that wants to let millions of seniors die early so as to save medical costs? One rumor is that the old will be "counseled" every five years, and given tips on how to commit suicide so as to save money. Since most medical care is given with terminal and chronic illnesses, the Democrats seem to be leaning towards simply not treating such, "saving" millions of dollars at the expense of lives. Will they decline to treat symptoms of autism, leaving millions of autistic time bombs who are ready to explode, since we seem to have fits of rage? We've all done stuff while enraged that we've later regretted.



Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,775
Location: Ohio, USA

18 Jul 2009, 8:19 pm

I think you're catastrophizing...


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com


SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,058
Location: Ohio, USA

18 Jul 2009, 8:56 pm

pezar wrote:
SilverStar wrote:
It's genetics...I think all of these theories are just a scapegoat, people's wishful thinking, and false hopes.


People really, really seem not to want to hear that autism is genetic, and that Weird Uncle Bob was simply autistic, and that grandma who had the crazy mood swings contributed too. How else to explain all these kooky theories? It's as if people would fall apart emotionally if they learned that their child was born autistic. All the hints about genocide of autistic people, talk of conspiracies involving millions of pediatricians and the government, I mean people are really starting to wig out about this. We've already had a number of cases of moms killing their autistic kids, and the courts let them off easy. We seem to be the new Jews.

Will we be exterminated under the Obama health care plan that wants to let millions of seniors die early so as to save medical costs? One rumor is that the old will be "counseled" every five years, and given tips on how to commit suicide so as to save money. Since most medical care is given with terminal and chronic illnesses, the Democrats seem to be leaning towards simply not treating such, "saving" millions of dollars at the expense of lives. Will they decline to treat symptoms of autism, leaving millions of autistic time bombs who are ready to explode, since we seem to have fits of rage? We've all done stuff while enraged that we've later regretted.


Parents don't want to deal with autistic kids, and will go to extremes trying to "fix" them. They also are in denial, and refuse to believe that they could have had anything to do with their kids autism. There's also a fair bit of ignorance going around as well. Jenny McCarthy comes to mind here...

I don't really see us being the "new jews" anytime soon, but people do need to be better educated about autism though.



Willard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,647

18 Jul 2009, 9:32 pm

pezar wrote:
It's as if people would fall apart emotionally if they learned that their child was born autistic.


Well, yes - that's precisely the problem. Knowing it was passed on through the genes would make them feel responsible, as though something were wrong with them, too - and God forbid they should feel odd about themselves (ew - that might make them feel like their damaged child). Not to mention the feelings of guilt that might ensue. Hell, you'd have Mom and Dad spending years researching family genealogy just so they could 'blame ' each other. "It wasn't me that made the kid defective." So blame vaccines and vitamins instead. They can't point accusatory fingers back at you.

pezar wrote:
Will they decline to treat symptoms of autism, leaving millions of autistic time bombs who are ready to explode, since we seem to have fits of rage? We've all done stuff while enraged that we've later regretted.


Hooollld on thar, Baba Looey! In the first place, there is no treatment for autism, and I honestly doubt there ever will be. And I for one have never had 'fits of rage' unless someone spent endless hours intentionally tormenting me. Please do not reinforce another negative stereotype that will only be used against us, to incite fear and to abuse us in legal actions.



Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Mar 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,130
Location: Wonderland

18 Jul 2009, 11:47 pm

ColdBlooded wrote:
Does this mean that NTs can be cured of Neurotypicality just by not feeding them Vitamin D? Interesting..
:lol:



Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Mar 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,130
Location: Wonderland

19 Jul 2009, 12:01 am

Autism is genetic. I do also believe that too much mercury in the brain can display autistic like symptoms, but in order for it to be autism, it has to be genetic, so the vaccination theories would just add a new diagnosis off the spectrum. I also believe many NT parents like the idea of giving their kid a cure all pill for things. But with autism, it isn't that simple, and I think we will go further to something that resembles more of a cure through means outside of pharmaceuticals, like therapy and mainly just teaching. It's really a compromise that you have to teach autistic kids differently in order to get them to behave in a socially acceptable way. However, I also believe nutrition plays an important role in helping our bodies in general (with any disorder as well as beyond that). Vitamin D is a much better option than something like Ritalin. Being it is a safe supplement, I see no problem with trying.