Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 9:31 am

Batz wrote:
Depends on what you think and what your needs are.

Absolutely. I see no point in buying a device like that that is more than you need. However, it's when people inflict their personal needs onto another person's situation, telling them not to buy it for those reasons, not even knowing what their needs actually are. IMO, that's the biggest problem with those who bash Apple and the Mac/iPod world.

Anyways, this thread is getting pretty off-topic, so I'll stay out of it for a while. :P

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 10:21 am

Meh, it doesn't matter if you are up to date on technology or not. I've still got all the 'old' games consoles, a VCR, a 3510i mobile phone (I've had it for about 6 or 7 years) and a portable CD player. I had a MuVo Creative for a long time which works just fine (although it kinda fell apart after a little while...) so I saw no reason to update to an i-pod which I thought was just too expensive. I was then given an i-pod shuffle as a birthday/christmas/birthday present (yeah, my uncle forgot...) which he picked up in America dirt cheap! I love my i-pod shuffle as it is easy to get tunes on and off it, it is tiny so fits in my pocket and the headphones which came with it are awesome (although I see no reason not to buy these for another player!). The downsides are that it is tiny (yeah I know I have contradicted myself...) and I am always losing the darned thing despite it being bright pink, it has no visual display so I don't know what song it is playing and it needs to be charged on a computer which seems a bit of a waste of electricity to me! I wouldn't get rid of the i-pod now I have got it but I probably won't get another one when this one gives up. I'm only 21 and I don't bother keeping with the times!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 6:12 pm

I REALLY have no time to read all of this , and I still was not " Notify "d...I have NOTHING , if I had an Ipod/etc. I couldn't load anything onto it anyway , it looks like I will NEVER have a computer , even a DVD player or even a TV , the lost stuff includes PERSONAL stuff that CANNOT be replaced by " an E-Bay spree " which I don't have money for anyway , it's beginning to look that I will NEVER te\ravel , NEVER accomplish anything , NEVER " go to college " , my female cousin appears to have stolen my inheritance money successfully and poisoned people against me...That's things that I could kill myself over :cry: :(

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 6:32 pm

...More...Also , I will NEVER , likely , even have a computer ! !! !! !! !! !!
And , whenever I've asked for help ( Help that DOES NOT INVOLVE ASKING FOR MONEY , just to make this CLEAR ! !! !! !! !! !! ) about trying to apply for college and clear up my lost/f****d up records , try to clear them up...People say " Oh , go see some officer , they'll do jiffy split " .
NO THEY DO NOT !
I HAVE THE EXPERIENCE , YOU DO NOT , AND ADMISSIONS OFFICERS TYPES SIMPLY f**k ME OVER . IF SOMEONE WOULD HELP :cry: ...........
No-one will help :cry: ........... :(

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 6:38 pm

ASS-P wrote:
And , whenever I've asked for help ( Help that DOES NOT INVOLVE ASKING FOR MONEY , just to make this CLEAR ! !! !! !! !! !! ) about trying to apply for college and clear up my lost/f**** up records , try to clear them up...People say " Oh , go see some officer , they'll do jiffy split " .
NO THEY DO NOT !
I HAVE THE EXPERIENCE , YOU DO NOT , AND ADMISSIONS OFFICERS TYPES SIMPLY f**k ME OVER . IF SOMEONE WOULD HELP :cry: ...........

You don't have a single computer? You could always buy an old one (I have many). Granted, it's horribly obsolete, but it's better than no computer. 8O

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 2:25 am

I only have an iPod (mini) because my rich friend found it in the street and he already had one so he gave it to me, LOL. And the non-iPod MP3 player I had before that, I won in a drawing. :B I'd probably still just have a CD player (which I only got when I was a teenager, which wasn't that long ago really) but for these occurrences. I don't spend much money on tech, but it seems that it's so prevalent these days, it just falls into my lap.

blink
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2009, 11:53 am

I don't know too many people who have any expectations of any kind of inheritance. I know I'll get nothing from anyone myself. Working class people rarely do.

What happened to your records, ASS-P? Are there any local advocacy groups where some do-gooder will try to help you get things ironed out? Or maybe a former teacher would be willing to try to help? The financial aid office at my local university has a much-deserved terrible reputation, so I know how awful it can be to try to deal with office difficulties. It's like if you don't know the exact words you are supposed to use, they won't help. And even if you know the words, they aren't in a big hurry to do what you need. Frustrating!

Barring that, there are groups that help people they consider disabled to become more independent. It's not great, but it would give you more control over your own life and less dependency on family.

The only way my family has shiny electronic gadgets is that we purchase them with what's left of our tax refund after paying bills and stuff. One of our three computers was purchased in 2000 and my iPod Nano is a 2nd gen. But we have a cheap house and only one vehicle for our family of six, we rarely go out, don't smoke or drink (expensive habits). My husband works 60-70 hours a week delivering auto parts, which is a job he is ridiculously overqualified for, but it pays the bills and he doesn't have to deal with people very much. That is a big plus, lol.

But anyway, do not think you are the only one who has a difficult life. Many people do and I think that if you keep trying, something will come through for you eventually.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 1:46 pm

[quote="blink"]I don't know too many people who have any expectations of any kind of inheritance. I know I'll get nothing from anyone myself. Working class people rarely do.

What happened to your records, ASS-P? Are there any local advocacy groups where some do-gooder will try to help you get things ironed out? Or maybe a former teacher would be willing to try to help? The financial aid office at my local university has a much-deserved terrible reputation, so I know how awful it can be to try to deal with office difficulties. It's like if you don't know the exact words you are supposed to use, they won't help. And even if you know the words, they aren't in a big hurry to do what you need. Frustrating!

Barring that, there are groups that help people they consider disabled to become more independent. It's not great, but it would give you more control over your own life and less dependency on family.

The only way my family has shiny electronic gadgets is that we purchase them with what's left of our tax refund after paying bills and stuff. One of our three computers was purchased in 2000 and my iPod Nano is a 2nd gen. But we have a cheap house and only one vehicle for our family of six, we rarely go out, don't smoke or drink (expensive habits). My husband works 60-70 hours a week delivering auto parts, which is a job he is ridiculously overqualified for, but it pays the bills and he doesn't have to deal with people very much. That is a big plus, lol.

But anyway, do not think you are the only one who has a difficult life. Many people do

...You're not British* , are you ?????
The point is , the inheritance - such as it was - and I had not much else , " family-wise " - was there , she took it !
If ( If . ) you're trying to " guilt " me , I could point to some things in my life...
It was one particular source of money , that I NEED , that has been ( I believe ) SNATCHED away from me .
Really , I could point out some things about my background/past...
Also , it seems that people here have been a little fascinated with my comment about the lack of an Ipod - I said that it wasn't just that , that was something of a symbol !
Granted , it's the header , presumably that helped attract people's attention , and that I am rarther " on the outside " of our shiny new cyber-world , the Ipod lack being just one thing , rather symbolizing...I DID say that " it's a symbol " .
After all this time , hearing about " the shiny new world " and being on the outside of it... :cry: Fine , it's self-pity .
Perhaps your family is so working-class that any estate that you may have , you leave it to the international class struggle ! :lol: Perhaps . Ha ha ha ha .
The amount I referred to is , in its initial amount , quite minimal .
And , I could talk about some problems of mine...
The relative has resorted to announcing that all 3 semi-relevant relatives died intestate - without wills , which is absurd - in her attempt to take the - tiny , essentially - amount of money from me .
I could ( And , obviously , am now hinting heavily . ) about my situation even directly at the time of the what-I'm-referring-to will situation happening...
Anything might could be seen as " not working-class " ( or whatever , including Aspie ) enough " . You may have some good suggestions , but my poverty/age/situation - Even , to a certain exrent , not having some of the " universal " things of to-day ( Not including Zuems/similar . ) really may make them non-do-able in my case , at least now .
Including , thirty years later and not having had much of a " school life " in the first place , the idea of there being any " favorite teacher " left/contactable .
I don't feel like re-reading my earlier posts now .
Again , I think I did say it wasn't JUST the shiny item...
Is going to a " university " sufficiently working-cless enough ? Shouldn't it at least be " a redbrick university/working-class " or similar ???????????
Hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah hah .
*-Or , an academic .

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 9:42 pm

gramirez wrote:
ASS-P wrote:
And , whenever I've asked for help ( Help that DOES NOT INVOLVE ASKING FOR MONEY , just to make this CLEAR ! !! !! !! !! !! ) about trying to apply for college and clear up my lost/f**** up records , try to clear them up...People say " Oh , go see some officer , they'll do jiffy split " .
NO THEY DO NOT !

You don't have a single computer? You could always buy an old one (I have many). Granted, it's horribly obsolete, but it's better than no computer. 8O

...No , NO money......... :(

LAEMapsie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2009, 6:30 am

I own an iPod Classic 80GB, though I think the phase has shifted from iPods to iPhones/iPod Touch.

Ill wait probably til my Classic brakes before buying an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:50 pm

Here is my "iPod" that I'm listening to as I type. :D

Seriously though, I don't currently have a portable music device. That will probably change if I get the car I've had my eye on, as it doesn't have a CD player in it. Just a cassette deck, which I can get an MP3/DiscMan adapter for. I used to have a portable MiniDisc player, but it no longer works. When I do get something, it won't be an iPod. I have no solid reasons for that, I simply don't care for Apple products and the way they do things.

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2009, 5:35 pm

I've been feeling out of step with times since I was a teenager. My decade was the '40s.

Regarding iPods, I would never get one. I'd have to use good noise-canceling headphones to hear distorted music. The audio has to be compressed to fit, and it sounds bad. I did a test with some Youtube videos: 2 contemporary and 1 Toscanini. The contemporary ones sounded terrible: either off or with artifacts. Toscanini sounded great because the recording wasn't compressed as the high frequencies were absent to begin with.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 7:42 pm

Blasty wrote:
Here is my "iPod" that I'm listening to as I type. :D

Seriously though, I don't currently have a portable music device. That will probably change if I get the car I've had my eye on, as it doesn't have a CD player in it. Just a cassette deck, which I can get an MP3/DiscMan adapter for. I used to have a portable MiniDisc player, but it no longer works. When I do get something, it won't be an iPod. I have no solid reasons for that, I simply don't care for Apple products and the way they do things.

...That could make me feel WAY , WAY , worse :( , thinking or MORE things I don't have :cry:...and have lost .

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2009, 9:48 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I don't know, I always hear people complaining about iPods and iTunes, and I've had an RCA MP3 player for quite a while and have had no qualms with it whatsoever (though it would be nice if it played OGGs, but I've heard that few portable music devices do).

If you use a PC, there's a freeware program called SUPER that will easily convert batches of .oggs to mp3s which you canfind out more about here.

(The download link is at the bottom of a very cluttered page, but the software really works and also can convert dozens of audio and video file types to other file formats.)

I don't want an iPOD because I'm not a fan of iTunes or Apple's DRM policies. Here's what I use instead to play mp3s:

I use a standalone PDA for productivity purposes and wifi which is glued to my side. For those with PDAs (or considering one) you can also play mp3s on them via SD card using inexpensive/free software.

I also use my Samsung Juke cellphone (not a smartphone...I already have a PDA) as an mp3 player which I got free as part of my 2 year cellphone renewal plan. Perhaps your cellphone company offers a similar plan.

I have one more way to play mp3s portably. I have a Coby 2GB Mp3 Player (which expands to 4GB when you insert a 2GB SD card) that I got on clearance for $15 from Buy.Com last year. It's not fancy, but the sound is good. Plus it's cheap enough to wear when I'm exercising (if it falls and breaks it was only $15). I signed up to get their clearance circular by e-mail, which is how I found out about it.

I use my mp3 devices to play music, audio books, as well as the audio from my favorite movies (you can also use SUPER extract the mp3 audio from movie files).

Keeps me from getting bored while washing the dishes, waiting in line, exercising, etc.

I do think many of the players by Creative Zen do look pretty tasty though.

ASS-P wrote:
Also , I will NEVER , likely , even have a computer ! !! !! !! !! !!

In that case, if I were you, I'd save my money to get a cheap netbook (my husband got one from Asus on sale for less than $200) or a used laptop (check Craigslist...also, some Goodwill stores have computer departments now) so you'll be able to pickup wifi wherever you are, then perhaps get a cheap clearanced non-iPOD Mp3 player down the road.

I know what it's like to get disinherited/have your college money yanked from you. I've had to question everything I felt about my expectations, plans, family, etc.

Bitterness is a natural stage. Once you pass through that stage, you tend to focus on becoming more resourceful so the b^stards won't wear you down.

I know you're probably feeling vengeful and frustrated, but don't turn it on yourself and let them win. The best revenge you can take is to live as good a life as you can in the long run and learn to think out of the box. If it helps, think of it as a logic puzzle.

INTJ.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 8:36 am

All the computers I ever had were free! Just old units family and family friends no longer wanted!

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 2:51 pm

I don't have an ipod and to be honest i don't want one.