Celebrity gossip - completely uninterested or not?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2006, 11:51 am

I've always thought being completely uninterested in celebrities and gossip was a very Aspie thing, but after seeing how diverse the group here is, I'm wondering if there are in fact Aspies who enjoy talking about/hearing about celebrities and the gossip surrounding them.

Personally, this kind of stuff doesn't interest me AT ALL. Unfortunately, it seems that everywhere I go, all anyone wants to talk about is the celebrity world and who's getting married to who... who's pregnant... who has an eating disorder... who's losing or gaining weight... I don't understand how people can be so fascinated with people who have no direct connection to them. At college and work, all I hear about is this gossip... I don't understand it at ALL. I don't understand how there can be entire MAGAZINES devoted to celebrity gossip. It bores me to tears, and I couldn't care less about it.

I wonder, if anyone DOES enjoy this kind of conversation, can you explain to me why? And if you're like me and can't understand the fascination at all, please post here too :)

Last edited by Tails on 22 Jan 2006, 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LeonSKennedy827
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2006, 11:54 am

Belive me, I sure don't dude, I've told you that before

They're just normal people like us, who cares what goes on in their lives?

I admit I do like to know how things are going with Dwyane Johnson (The Rock) but only to see if he'll return to WWE, Which doesn't seem to be likley ;___;

Nuntar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2006, 11:57 am

"Disinterested" means "unbiased", not having one's own interests at stake in a question.

I only bother to mention this because I am completely uninterested in celebrities and anything to do with them. So it's not entirely an Aspie trait. 8)

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2006, 12:03 pm

Nuntar wrote:
"Disinterested" means "unbiased", not having one's own interests at stake in a question.

You're quite right, of course. A lazy mistake on my part. Corrected now.

LeonSKennedy827
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2006, 12:08 pm

I too would like to know why it interests so many people though...

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2006, 12:20 pm

I am generally not interested at all. From time to time I might find out something about a 'celebrity' that I can relate to, or I find to be an interesting bit of trivia, but it never turns into the sort of hero-worship that most seem interested in. I don't ever care what they are wearing, who they are dating, and so on...

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 12:30 pm

Sometimes.

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2006, 12:56 pm

I couldn't care less about it.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 1:00 pm

Boring,crap,useless,pointless,stupid <-----------------------what I think of it.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2006, 1:03 pm

So far, pretty much what I expected on an Aspie forum :P

So... is anyone going to be brave and step forward and admit they like celebrity gossip? Anyone admit they read Heat, Hello, OK, or any of those magazines? Anyone actually care about who's making up and breaking up? Anyone? :wink:

Seriously... I would love to know why anyone cares about any of that stuff :?

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 1:19 pm

Yeah I agree. I do have a mild interest in what Elton John's doing, because I like his music, but not enough to read oddles of sappy gossip magazines. I think it's funny that he just got married and the Christians I know think this is terrible...but still they rant and rave about gays being promiscuous?!

Knasher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2006, 2:28 pm

Completly and utterly disinterested. In fact I wouldn't have even clicked on a thread that mentions somthing about celebrities if I wasn't so completly and utterly bored right now...

pad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 2:35 pm

While for one thing their are huge celebrities from various movies which we the viewers enjoys and are passionately devouted to. Why should people not be interesting to find out a big known celebrity star personal life? :wink:

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 2:42 pm

What do you mean by celebrities? There are some fantasy authors and film makers whose works I love, and I will read anything I can get my hands on in the way of their early biographical stories and what they're writing next. Hollywood, though, I couldn't care less about.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 2:45 pm

Tails wrote:
Personally, this kind of stuff doesn't interest me AT ALL.

I'll support that.

Two points of interest only:
An outsiders's study interest in how and why this celebrity circus works and fascinates people, (especially when the celebrity is only celebrated for being a celebrity).

And sometimes where someone celebrated for some reason is speaking on their area of expertise or achievement: what makes a great actor, as opposed to just a star, for example.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 3:15 pm

I try not to laugh when I see people buy those magazines. Stifling to the extreme.