Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MU
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2006, 4:15 pm

Here's an idea I have for a graphic novel in which I might make one day. It's a story with the main character having AS and faces some of the same events I face in my life. This character suddenly finds that they have superpowers somehow related to having Aspergers. By focusing on their feelings of sorrow and rejection they transform into a new identity. This superhero becomes popular without anyone knowing it is an unpopular college student in real life. Eventually, this hero stops another AS powered character using his powers for revenge on society. What do you think? Got any plot ideas this hero must face?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 4:54 pm

I like that idea. :)

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2006, 6:21 pm

sounds good can u thank me in ur cover if ur going to be famous for this cause if u do that would be awsome.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 6:22 pm

Sounds like Spider-Man.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 7:32 pm

Sounds like Diana Wieler's RANVAN trilogy. It's not AS per se... but close enough.

RANVAN: The Defender

RANVAN: A Worthy Opponent

RANVAN: Magic Nation

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 8:51 pm

Five special rings were given to five "special" young people . . .

Perseveration!

Hand Flap!

Awkward Gait!

Over-Sensitivity!

Hyperlexia!

When your powers combine . . . I am CAPTAIN WRONGPLANET!! !! !!

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 8:58 pm

Sounds like Spiderman. What kind of AS powers? Stimming at the speed of light, it's Super WP! Awkwardly beating super villians with his shifty laser eyes of doom!! ! :D AWKWARD GAZE!! !

MU

23 Jan 2006, 10:17 pm

There's so many other superhero stories out there that it's hard to be entirely original. I also find that my plot ideas seem like the Spiderman movies. All powers I think of have already been taken. I want life with AS to be the theme of the story, the superhero part is there so the story has a little bit of everything. Maybe the superhero is just an imaginary character the hero thinks up for comfort in the face of real terrors. I'm not too good with real life stories without a ton of reference.

Nitz
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2006, 6:43 pm

A little bit of storytelling advice...

I think that there definitely needs to be an Aspie superhero, but I think you should make sure to develop the character as a person first and an Aspie second. If the character is just a collection of stereotypical Aspie behaviors, he won't ring true. I know that the influence of Asperger's Syndrome is profound, but even amongst the Aspie community, there's a lot of diversity. Your character shouldn't have the burden of representing the entire autistic spectrum, any more than any other minority hero should have to represent " their " people. They just become symbols, not people.

However, if the character is a unique human being who happens to have been influenced by his autism, but not always dominated by it, then he has a much greater chance of being a good character. He becomes less insular, appealing to just people familiar with the spectrum, and more universal. Though not everybody can relate to Asperger's, everybody can relate to a well-developed character. From that, the rest of the story trappings will come naturally.

I'm working on a similar project, a fantasy comic story that relates to Asperger's, so PM me if you want more feedback.

MU

28 Jan 2006, 12:12 am

Thank you for the advice. I have other school work to do, so I don't always have time to think about who this character should be. I'll try asking other classmates about it, and tell them about AS also.