Do you?
Yes 47%  47%  [ 18 ]
No 53%  53%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 38

idle
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jul 2009, 11:02 pm

software piracy is theft which does the software developer and paying users a disservice.
If some software provides utility it's worth paying for, even if it doesn't provide everything you want, If you use it and get utility from it, you should pay for it. Software after all doesn't write itself, it's clearly cost someone a lot of time and effort to develop it, even if it's offered for Free.

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2009, 7:09 am

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 8:22 pm

I just thought i'd add with all the rediculous DRM systems nowadays in computer games, CD-checkers and cd-keys you can have a game you are purchased not working!. I'm not surprised people pirate games, it's less hassle and actually easier than getting the actual purchased game to work.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 8:30 pm

Negative - I am a software ninja.

...and now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 10:20 pm

Didn't an owner of a big software company have a server of their pirated software available for download awhile ago? I think it was like business/server software mainly.. on the theory that if people get it for free at home, use it, and get addicted to it, that's what they'll buy when it comes time to get software for a business. Wouldn't be so much true of non-commercial applications, but for expensive software someone would use for a business, it makes sense.. it's far more dangerous to use pirated software for anything commercial.

I usually stick to open source stuff for exactly that reason.. a lot of it is just as good, and I'd rather be familiar with something that's legally free. I got used to The GIMP before I ever tried PhotoShop.. and when I tried out PhotoShop, I couldn't stand it.. I was already acquainted with doing everything on GIMP.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 6:29 am

Hell yes. I will rip off anything that isn't nailed down.

Do you have a spare $1000 to buy Photoshop? I don't.

As for "theft", no I wouldn't take a candy bar from the corner shop.

How about those warnings on DVD's? "Would you steal something?"
No I wouldn't.

What if your friend called you and said "I just bought a new car. Would you like me to make a copy for you?"

My wife goes to the library and borrows music CDs. When she puts them in the computer Itunus pops up and says "Would you like me to rip these songs and add them to your Ipod?"

She goes.. "Well now that you have mentioned it.."

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 9:42 am

As I said on another thread, no.

theimperiousdork
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 9:53 am

Yes, and happily doing it. For as long as it's for my personal use alone; I don't sell pirated content, and I don't allow those whom I freely give the content I use to sell it to others.