Scandinavia, north Russia, Greenland or North Canada?

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 2:02 pm

Sue, I didn't know you were a writer! I write X-Files slash fanfic and some of the women, being Canadians, have written some beautiful fics located in north Canada, and that's where I got the idea from. Indeed, they say the things you say here. That's what got me wondering...is a society less focused on people better for Aspies?

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 2:03 pm

Greentea wrote:
Roman, what's the furthest north you've been?

The furthest North I went was here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Engozero
I was only 4 years old when my parents took me there, so I don't remember much.

Greentea wrote:
Sue, I don't know why, I have this idea that maybe a place that's sparsely populated is more tolerant because there are fewer people to choose from...

Don't you think NT-s are quite selfish, if thats true? I mean, because they have a lot of people to choose from their goal is to make the number of ppl smaller. Then, in order to attain that goal, they have to convince themselves they hate someone just so that they can cross that person off the list. And then they blame that person for being "unpleasant". Well, how was he unpleasant? They should thank him for giving them an excuse to make their list shorter, just like they wanted!

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 2:16 pm

Roman, I don't think it's a question of people wanting to cross others off, just that they have more people to choose from, so they can be more picky. I mean, maybe on an almost deserted island in the north of Canada there'll be less trilingual secretaries to choose from and they might cut me some more slack than in a great cosmopolitan area, I don't know...

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 2:25 pm

Greentea wrote:
Roman, I don't think it's a question of people wanting to cross others off, just that they have more people to choose from, so they can be more picky. I mean, maybe on an almost deserted island in the north of Canada there'll be less trilingual secretaries to choose from and they might cut me some more slack than in a great cosmopolitan area, I don't know...
]

Yeah, but in situations where NT-s are "picky" and they talk about aspies behind their back, what are they saying? Do they say "they are really nice people but unfortunately we are too busy to find time to talk to them"? No, thats what they would say TO an aspi, but not between themselves. Between themselves they say "what a horrible person, look what sort of thing they did". So it makes it sound like it is about an aspi and not them. But then when they are in lesser populated area where they don't have to be picky, then ooops, and these same aspi traits are not "horrible" any more ...

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 2:34 pm

Roman, it's just a wondering of mine, I don't know if it's realistic... I'm hoping for people who know sparsely populated areas to tell me...

Your English is so good for a Russian, isn't it?

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 2:38 pm

I have a Russian ex who thinks he might be on the spectrum. Apart from that, they all sounds like great places to travel....

Taking a break.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 2:42 pm

Greentea wrote:
Roman, it's just a wondering of mine, I don't know if it's realistic... I'm hoping for people who know sparsely populated areas to tell me...

I am sorry for going off topic. I guess I was hurt a lot by NT-s which is why it is hard not to bend my response in that direction ...

Anyway, to answer your question, my mom has been to North Russia a lot before I was born. Neither herself nor her friends suffer from AS or anything like that. But still from what she said ppl up North are more friendly in general. For instance, a lot of their backpacking trips depended on friendly people letting them stay overnight in their house and feed them -- something that would be unthinkable elsewhere. So I won't be surprised if you are right in terms of them being more tolerant, since they view everyone as part of their family.

So just curious: are you doing a school project, or are you thinking of travelling North yourself?

Greentea wrote:
Your English is so good for a Russian, isn't it?

Thank you. I lived in USA since 1994, so its been a long time for me to learn English. Also, all schooling I had since 9-th grade was in English as well.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 2:58 pm

Roman, you were perfectly on topic, no need to apologize. We've all been deeply hurt by NTs here, or most of us.

No school work, no. I like to research things that might be a solution to my problems. I've been thinking lately that if maybe I could get a job where I had less competition, bosses would fire me less quickly...

Zen, I'd certainly like to spend some time in a log cabin in the north of Canada. Are you in North America or Europe?

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 3:26 pm

No, Im in New Zealand. i would love to visit a Northern climate such as Scandanavia or Canada, or Russia, but I hate the cold... I would have to buy some really heavy woolens or arctic gear or something. :)

Taking a break.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 3:28 pm

Greentea, I am glad you are understanding about my rantings.

So where are you living just curious? Your profile says middle east, but what country? Have you considered that perhaps in the middle east they are more judgemental than most? I don't know much about it, but I guess thats just my instinct.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 3:29 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
No, Im in New Zealand. i would love to visit a Northern climate such as Scandanavia or Canada, or Russia, but I hate the cold... I would have to buy some really heavy woolens or arctic gear or something. :)

Going to New Zeland or Australia has always been my dream. Somehow it always felt that Southern Hemisphere = Magic, simply because I never been there. Do you have similar feelings about Northern Hemisphere?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 3:33 pm

Roman, I'm in Tel Aviv, this is not very different from any other state of the US... Lots of competition for money and prestige, status and connections. Group politics at their highest in the workplace, the family, any groups...even in voluntary work!

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 3:36 pm

I was born and lived half my life in South America. I disliked it so much that I came to live on the other side of the world...

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 3:40 pm

So are you Jewish, or Arabic or neither?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 3:53 pm

Jewish

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 3:59 pm

I am Jewish too ethnically, although I secretely became Christian (but I continue to keep Jewish law and such).

Were you trying to go to Israel because you thought they would be more tolerant to your differences? That is what my mom was bringing up whenever I was going on a next step school-wise, that may be I should apply somewhere in Israel for that very reason. I always refused to do taht out of principle -- the very act of doing that would amount to admitting that I am incapable of surviving under normal circumstances. But then again, that might be just my rebellure against my mom; down inside I am so desperate that I am willing to do anything and everything that might help -- as long as I don't have to tell it to my mom of course.

As a side thought, my mom seems to be more comfortable herself among her own kind. Is it a Jewish thing to be less confident than others, just like they are less physically fit than others? Do you think that is part of why they insist on sticking together so much?