Corny phrases/advice that make your blood boil

Page 8 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 4:18 pm

What got under my skin yesterday....

My AC is having issues, and my landlord has told me to turn it off. It's been off since Sunday, and it's hot and humid. I'm also pregnant and I have a one and two year old. This house seems to average 90 degrees and stuffy without the AC (and that's also at night). So we stayed first 2 nights at hotel thinking he would get the AC repair guy earlier in the week than Wednesday. Well, Tuesday night rolled around, and I'm trying to battle the heat, and it instigated some awful morning sickness. So after spending a good hour hugging a toiled vomiting non stop with a one year screaming the entire hour wanting to be held trying to sneak under me hugging the toilet and the 2 year old going crazy once she realized I couldn't do anything except throw up (including spraying random cleaning solutions at me and the baby, including bleach)...after all that, the next day, the landlord says,

"It's a pain in the ass, that's all. We just deal with it. As inconvenient as it is for you, it's worse for me."

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2009, 5:52 pm

"It is what it is."

I identified a personnel problem only to get this response from my supervisor. Right, there is absolutely nothing we can do about a situation because we're too afraid to try.

This expression is from the military and refers to situations in which you don't have the resources you think you need but have to make do nonetheless. In civilian life, this is never the case: you can always improvise if you have to.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 6:10 pm

its more than they get in africa

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2009, 6:23 pm

"All's well that ends well." To who? Something can end well for you, but it might not end well with a friend. It's like World War I.

"This is going to hurt me than it's going hurt you." I don't feel that fact is accurate, especially with spanking your child.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 10:13 pm

WoodenNickel wrote:
"It is what it is."

I identified a personnel problem only to get this response from my supervisor. Right, there is absolutely nothing we can do about a situation because we're too afraid to try.

This expression is from the military and refers to situations in which you don't have the resources you think you need but have to make do nonetheless. In civilian life, this is never the case: you can always improvise if you have to.

My father said "It is what it is" a lot, and I like it. It's great to use on people when they are like, "Why didn't you do this?", I respond with, "It is what it is." When it comes to me though personally, like when I get bad luck, I just say that to help me get past the injustice I feel with it. There are many things you cannot control, no matter how great your resources are. I personally can work around just about anything, but until I say, "It is what it is" sometimes I waste time trying to control something out of my control. Also, some things in my control are better left alone. And, I think it can go to I feel what I feel. Like I'm pro-life. I have my reasons. A pro choicer doesn't always care what they are and will argue it until their face turns purple, but in the end, I am who I am and I feel what I feel.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 11:00 pm

I happen to like "it is what it is" as well.

It sort of implies "$#!+ happens, and y'just gotta deal with it"

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:13 am

"Just be yourself" is one of my most hated ones, because people never realize that I WAS myself the last time in such a situation and it caused a big problem.

Another one: "Du siehst das viel zu negativ" ("you perceive that far too negatively") another one. Sorry, but DON'T argue with me about my perceptions. It's one of my hot buttons. In this manner: "You must be freezing/feel far too hot!" Just, NO! It is my body and I know its tolerances better than you!

"You need to go outside and meet people!" Especially annoying when I am perfectly happy being inside and meeting people on IRC. Also: I do not WANT to meet the ret*ds and bullies in my area.

"Go for a walk and you will feel better." Just no! Especially not since my parents seem to consider this a panacea.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:17 am

Yeah, those I definitely agree with.

"Be like us, and you'll be happy"

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight, is that why you're swillin' down beer more intensely than Christian Slater on New Years Eve? :lol: :lol: :lol:

hilofoz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2009, 3:13 am

Bright eyed and bushy tailed:

Everything I am not in the morning. Most probably because of the cortisol issue, but not checked. I have always had trouble getting up in the morning.
-----------------------

Clever little possum:

Used against me once, in a rather nasty sarcastic way, and hated it ever since.
-----------------------

Don’t worry, be happy:

The most vacuous expression yet.

----------------------

Level playing field:

No such thing

-----------------------------

Not a team player:

I was told more than once

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 9:35 am

Have a nice day-- Personally everyday is different however I try to go along with all days good or bad...

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 9:53 am

i got to thinking...

Sick as a dog...doesn't make too much sense to me

I also thought of another one that I didn't like a day or 2 ago, and now I can't remember it.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 10:00 am

Batz wrote:
"This is going to hurt me than it's going hurt you." I don't feel that fact is accurate, especially with spanking your child.

That reminds me of a poem, where a father said that to his son whom he spanked. And the son, who nearly was dying of pain, bit his teeth together and answered: "Then hit some more!" :lol: