Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 12:20 am

I am going to try and explain a idea. Don't complain about it. If you do its probably cause i didn't explain it correctly or said some thing i wasn't intending to.

I was just thinking about how asperger minds may related to the world a posed to other minds. Maybe aspergers people are less bound by instinct like emotions hence alot of aspies don't understand emotions well. Some people with aspergers could show great signs of interlllect because of the severing of connections with emotion/insinct which would mean that they are less able to understand and do some things in some way because of this lack of emotional instinct and are less able to jump between subjects or thoughts with out the instinct to guide them.

So I was thinking could this lack of gudience from instinces help our consese mind be free to explore the world around us in ways others can not think of? So that aspergers simulates what another step up in intellegence for thought could be like with out truelly being a entire step up but just being a differen't step. Humans are above other speices because of the fact we are able to think for our selfs and are not ruled completely by instinct. Aspergers indivduals could be with out rule of emotions to a further extent than average humans and hence like the next step for some types of conceptual thought.

Ok this was a idea I think I have not been able to communicate at all what my idea was.... like always trying to order the chaos of my mind so you can see a slice of my mind. Unfortunatly every time I try and communicate any thing even remotely complex it doesn't work. :?

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 1:45 am

Well when you can think of additions please share it with us.

And i'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you. And i'm not necessarily disagreeing with what you actually mean, because i can't see that, i can only see what you wrote. And i might even be f*****g that up too. ^_^.

I think emotions are the building blocks of thoughts, and that it is truely impossible to simply seperate us from them. <-- ignorent opinion.
Also it is a little pet peeve of mine when the super genius character is illustrated to be "unwise" by them believing arrogantly(and they usually get proved wrong) that because they are so smart they can control or not be controlled by their emotions. God i hate that.

I do see in aspies that the way their apply their emotions is different, and i would be interested to understand that further, but however we work in relation to our emotions i doubt that we are literally, or even figuratively seperated from them.

And I think that at least in some cases aspies DO know how their supposed to act in social situations and in the precense of emotional situations but they can't BELIEVE that anyone else is serious about it, and they are amazed when other people dont think of it as all really silly and they should stop with the shanigans. I think this is not because we are seperated from our instinctive emotions but rather we invest our emotions in this world differently.

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

24 Jan 2006, 3:08 am

I think in some ways you're right. Sometimes a lack of certain instincts and intuitions can hold us back, but that isn't to say that we don't necessarily have other instincts that are to our advantage.

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 3:37 am

I was more trying to get at the point of that humans are more in control apposed to being rulled purely by instincts than animals and that some people on the spectrum are effected by these emotions and instincts to a lesser degree so this is what allows them freedom for them to think about abstract thoughts where normally there emotions and instincts would pull them in a differen't direction. I don't really think that cases where individuals are completely seperated would be that common at all and in those situations they would be serverly disabled most likely because of how intricate and important instincts and emotions are to the structer of the brain. Then again I guess allmost any thing is possible when it comes to the brain.

I was just trying to brain storm (very unsuccessfully) some ideas about how the brain mite function I didn't really start out with the intent of focusing on aspergers but as its a large part of my experience and I see how differently I think to others I added it in. because when trying to understand the brain understanding differen'tly wired individuals is important but then I guess understanding normal indivduals is just as important.

The mind is the most important thing on the world it is what creates wour views on existance and it is what allows us the ability to comprehend imagen and think. i wonder if any one else has and theorys on brain function that are in a more humanreadable format than the gibberish i am talking.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 4:00 am

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:
i wonder if any one else has and theorys on brain function

Neurologists, psychologists, that sort of thing? Sophist is in the psychology field, I think.

As I understand it, psychopaths are not influenced much by emotion.

Fiat_Lux
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2006, 5:28 am

There are some very interesting ideas being put forward here. I’ve thought about the distinction between conscious and unconscious thought for some time, although I’m not an expert in this field. We must all have some instinctive unconscious thought processes – self-preservation must be the main one. Beyond that, I’m not sure whether we have the same range of emotional thought processes and responses as NTs; I don’t think that I do, but I can’t use a sample of 1 to confirm this hypothesis. As aspergians, perhaps we are obliged to use our conscious minds more, in order to make sense of our environment? Therefore, we may get used to thinking in a more active, structured manner. NTs may use emotion and the fact that they can empathise with each other more, as their way of interacting with their environment. To me this is a more passive type of thought and leads to many NTs being susceptible to group-think, and simply ‘going with the flow’. Again, I’ve no means of verifying such a hypothesis.
Personally, I distrust opinions put forward in an emotional manner. However, many NTs that I come across distrust opinions and arguments put forward in a logical, structured manner; I get the feeling that such things make them feel, somehow, trapped. All of these are my own opinions based on my own observations. Other aspergians may have had different experiences, and have different conclusions.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 6:47 am

I agree with basically everything mentioned so far. Someone mentioned pyychopathy; looking at the DSM, I'm only a symptom or two away from being diagnosed with it. A huge flaw I noticed in the way many people are is that they all over react, people look way too much into to things and use emotions too much. It almost disgusts me how emotional some people can be, why bother when logic works better and makes more sense? I'm supposed to be Hypersensitive, not the NTs. Then why is it that my emotional state is a lot less fragile? I guess it's more of a learned thing for me, I've been rejected and outcast a lot through the years and naturally supress emotion because of it. :? I still think people are too emotional.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 8:30 am

It's interesting. Ours all work in different ways.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 9:49 am

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:
i wonder if any one else has and theorys on brain function that are in a more humanreadable format than the gibberish i am talking.
here you have both adequately explained the issue and demonstrated a common AS trait. You are speaking English yet fear no one understands because there are too many similarities to English.
Mystified? Think code talkers.
Yes, we are not driven by emotion (things got confusing when you equated emotion with instinct). The mechanism is not well understood. Certainly we have them, but for some of us there is enough distance between our behavior and emotions that it could be called a split.
Psychopaths have emotions. What they do not have is empathy. People with AS have empathy; the mechanism is different but close enough that it looks like we are speaking a different emotional language.
When we put things forth in a logical manner we are not driven by the emotional need for approval from others; therefore we do not judge what to say on the basis of the response of the other person. The other person feels ignored, which ordinarily would be an aggressive move. Hence their defensiveness.
I berate myself all the time for not speaking English. To date, no one has berated themselves for not making an effort to understand me.
just guesses, no research to back it up.
however watch people resonate with what you have said once you refine it.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 10:10 am

Neuroman wrote:
Psychopaths have emotions. What they do not have is empathy. People with AS have empathy; the mechanism is different but close enough that it looks like we are speaking a different emotional language.

That makes more sense.

Neuroman wrote:
not driven by the emotional need for approval from others

Neuroman wrote:
watch people resonate with what you have said once you refine it.

Not a need for approval, but nevertheless a need for communication? Or a desire for others to understand? What reason? Is it a need for validation of one's logic instead of one's emotional state?

redvelvet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2006, 12:58 pm

I'm Nt and have led my life by emotions and have made some terrible choices because of them.

But Claire explained how she being an Aspie and her Aspie boyfriend view these emotions and urges, Because an emotion can lead to an urge, She said when she has an urge or emotion that's new she put's it in her hand and annalizes it, pokes it, prods it and then they discuse it some more, where it might lead and what to do about it, usually by that time the urge has gone. But they annalize everything, they do have emotions, but they are able to step to one side and look at it from a small distance.
I wish I had been able to do this, they are very logical. But they are also spontanous, He more then she.
So when they are spontanous is this emotions? I like to think so even to a small extent.

I'm sure that if more people were Aspies the world would be a less misunderstood place, because Aspies like to annalize everything. :D IMHO.