Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jul 2009, 7:59 pm

What are some jobs where you research stuff all day?

I think some of the obvious ones would be a librarian and a teacher/professor. The only problem is I don't have a Ph.D. and I don't have a M.L.S.

Basically, what I do all day (I don't have a job yet) is search for things on the internet about things that interest me. I also locate information for my family if they have questions about things or need help with investigating things. In all of my courses in high school and college I earned marks that were B's or better. I really don't feel that I excelled in a certain subject over the other. I thought computers I excelled in but after taking the C.S. degree path I quickly learned that it was way over my head.

I applied to be a concierge at a resort but I don't think I had the personality they were looking for. I think that job not only requires you to be resourceful but a person with a fun and outgoing personality.

What do you guys think?

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2009, 5:26 am

There are numerous jobs in research that don't necessarily require a PhD or an MA/MS/M.Ed/M.Phil/etc...

Many hard science/medical research assistant type positions require only bachelor's degrees in those fields.

In libraries there are usually many paraprofessional positions which require only a bachelor's degree or less. Yes, if you want a career in librarianship you'll need the MLS... and the job market is somewhat over saturated with MLS grads.

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2009, 9:38 pm

What about in the business field?

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 2:58 am

Jaydog1212 wrote:
What about in the business field?

If you have a degree in mathematics, statistics, economics (with heavy emphasis on the math/theory), or a similar discipline, it's possible. If you get a bachelor's in business admin (the fluffiest degree offered at most unis, IMO), you will probably not get in to research.

It would depend very much on what kind of business research you wanted to do. You might need an MBA or an advanced degree in another subject for some of the positions.

If you want to post a little more detail, I'd be very happy to point you in the right direction research wise.