The passing of a friend...

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2009, 9:02 pm

My lovely lab/boxer mix, Sheba, is at the end of her days. She will be put down very soon (7 days or less) after a three year battle with cancer. Right now she’s getting the run of the apartment and eating better than I usually do (ham and Swiss cheese sandwich). She deserves that tasty sandwich because she’s given me 14 years of companionship. She’s such a good dog and I though WP should know how she’s doing before she’s actually dead. I’ll let you guys know when she joins that big dog park in the sky. Bye.

Guardeleon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2009, 9:46 pm

Know the feeling, man. My best friend died last month (She was human, tho) and it bites balls. I'll keep your dog in my thoughts.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 11:34 pm

So sorry - really, just no words to say. I LOVE dogs (& animals), just connected & an animal is the best friend to have. Please tell Sheba 'hi' from Lab Pet and give her those ham & swiss sandwiches she likes. She'll remember that you love her. [Tears when I write this.....losing an animal is hard]. Lab/boxer is a hardy mix and lots of personality. Sorry SplinterStar...... :star:

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 12:31 am

I am sorry to hear that your dog is going to pass away. I have dogs and I love them and dread the day that they pass on.

I know that I should not feed my dogs loads of nice human food as treats as it is not good for them, but if I was you then I would concentrate on making the dog's last week as enjoyable as possible for her. If she can still go for walks, then walk her as much as she wants and feed her plenty of treats, as long as it is not an acute poison for dogs I would feed her almost anything she fancies.

So as long as it is not chocolate, I would give her almost any human food.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 1:27 am

I am so sorry for your loss, and I really am, Splinterstar. It is cats for me and I love them all. How sad and beautiful when a companion passes. What an ache in the heart. Thank you for sharing with your WP family.

(((((SplinterStar & Sheba)))))))

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 8:54 am

awhhh...too sorry for that,but atleast her suffering has ended

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 9:16 am

Sad to hear. I wish you strength for the time to come.

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2009, 6:13 pm

Deepest condolences. I'm sure she will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

ILoveMusic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Aug 2009, 10:07 pm

So sorry to hear about your dog. I know the feeling all too well - I recently had to put down one of my cats about a month ago when he disappeared for 5 days, then came back home with a broken spine. Rest assured that you are doing the right thing for your dog. I'll be thinking of you and your good friend.

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2009, 9:18 am

She's gone. She was hurting too much and I couldn't stand looking at that ****ing tumour anymore. It wouldn't stop growing, I had the damn thing removed three times and it never stopped. I held her paw and felt her heart slow down as the vet did her thing. I'm just so angry right now I could kick the walls down.

I ****ING HATE YOU CANCER! ARE YOU HAPPY? YOU TOOK MY DOG! YOU ****ING SUCK! I HATE YOU FOREVER YOU DOG KILLER! IF YOU WERE A HUMAN BEING, I WOULD RIP OUT YOUR INSIDES WITH MY BARE HANDS UNTIL YOU BLED TO DEATH!

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 4:13 pm

Im really sorry (((((((SplinterStar))))) for your loss.

Taking a break.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 4:37 pm

That just wrenches, SplinterStar - just so sorry. And you held her paw. Umm...hope this is ok but I found this online - poem about Sheba:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals that had been ill and old are restored to health and to vigour. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, someone who was left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together…

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 9:42 pm

SplinterStar wrote:
She's gone. She was hurting too much and I couldn't stand looking at that ****ing tumour anymore. It wouldn't stop growing, I had the damn thing removed three times and it never stopped. I held her paw and felt her heart slow down as the vet did her thing. I'm just so angry right now I could kick the walls down.

No words can express . . . none, no words and all I got is words, SplinterStar. I surprise myself because as I started typing these words I gave a great shuddering sigh and tears sprung to my eyes and are now just sliding down my cheeks. I hold your hand in a non invasive completely empathic way as I mourn my Slinky cat with you mourning your Sheba.

lavender35
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2009, 1:44 pm

I lost my beloved cat to an infection and he was only one year old, thats the sheer tragedy of it. I've got another cat now, which has helped, but I still miss him.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 3:22 pm

I am sorry to hear that your dog has passed over to the other side. I sincerely hope that your dog did not suffer. I am sure that your dog was comforted by being held by you when she was put to sleep.

I hate cancer also, I know one way to wipe the smile off it's face. Find a cure for it !

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.