High Pitched Tones...Pleasing or Annoying?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2006, 7:41 am

I am always more relaxed listening to higher toned music and sounds. They are more cleansing to my senses, clears the energy around me...I use a teacher-style bell to ring for dinner, and to bring the children in from outdoors. I'd rather do it this way,keeps things more tranquil...Rush 's music is what brings out the exhilirating rush, literally, just as those who are sports nuts feel. Deeper sounds drive me away,I just do not like hearing them. Anyone else prefer the higher sounds?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 8:26 am

I personally think it depends on the purpose.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 9:24 am

I'm just the opposite. I really dislike the high-pitched sounds.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 10:14 am

I, too, am the opposite. High pitched sounds make me jump right out of my skin! Alot of high-pitched singing really grates on my nerves. I acknowlege that the singer is talented and the song is beautiful, but I just can't stand it! However, low tones are stimulating and soothing to me. I prefer male voices, low female voices, music with a strong bass influence.

Astarael
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 10:23 am

I hate high-pitched sounds, I have to clench my jaw so my ears are cut off from the sound because it's so loud and overwhelming. If it's not that high-pitched and just higher then 'normal' then it's fine. My mum has a bell which she occassionally rings, and the noise of that reverberating around the house drives me mad if I'm not prepared.

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2006, 10:43 am

Hi, I agree with high sounds that resemble Bjorks' music-that is way too extreme. Too high IS too much, it has to have a nice balance. High shrills, yes, that does make me jump out of my skin, but a balanced higher pitch ,like high notes on a guitar, I just feel so happy to hear it..Does that make sense?

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 11:57 am

This may be a little off topic, but could this aversion to higher pitched sounds be the reason that I have always preferred male friends? Come to think of it, the female friends I have now, all have lower than average voices. Women who talk with a high voice just turn me off so badly that no matter how nice they are, I'm just repulsed! I know that this is not a good reason for rejecting someone, but what can I do? Ask them to speak lower? or wear a grimace on my face and have my hands over my ears everytime we're together? I realize that it's shallow to base your friendships on something so trivial, but the truth is I can't change it. Now I'm beginning to wonder if my AS son chooses role models and friends based on odd reasons. His favorite teachers last year were chosen, not because they were nice or liked him, but because they were "big and tall"!

Another thought to consider is that maybe these preferences, sensitivities, and the rigidity common to Autism and Asperger's Syndrome, is the reason that many of our infants and toddlers do not respond to Mom's voice or presence or anyone for that matter. These are reasons we need to explore and they will be different with each person.

This may seem like a no-brainer to some, but I've spent most of my life struggling to adapt and have come a long way but some things I think I'm just going to have to accept. It's frustrating watching other people achieve all kinds of things considered "common" and "ordinary" and I struggle in these areas and wonder why.

I have always understood my son better than my other kids and it's because we're alike in our "differentness" in many ways. I hope I can help him alot more than my parents helped me. I know I need to challenge him and push him to achieve new accomplishments, but I also need to learn where his limitations are and be accepting; a difficult balance.

So, no, I don't like high pitched sounds.

OmbooHankvald
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jan 2006, 1:21 pm

Actually, high and low does not matter to me. I guess I don't have that problem. The only sound I can't stand is the sound of Karen from "Will & Grace". She REALLY drives me nuts.

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jan 2006, 1:41 pm

Hi, Thanks for your feedbacks , it was very interesting to get your opinions, I enjoyed this.Peace....

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 3:27 pm

Piccolo's should be destroyed! :x :x :x

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 4:04 pm

Very high pitched osunds are excruciating to me. I can listen to some high pitched music- classical is usally OK. But other sounds, like T.V. on with volume turned down, are really irritating.

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2006, 5:21 pm

I could very easily do without high pitched sounds.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 11:48 pm

High-pitched sounds like police sirens and American Idol contestants grate on my nerves.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Women who talk with a high voice just turn me off so badly that no matter how nice they are, I'm just repulsed! I know that this is not a good reason for rejecting someone, but what can I do? Ask them to speak lower? or wear a grimace on my face and have my hands over my ears everytime we're together? I realize that it's shallow to base your friendships on something so trivial, but the truth is I can't change it.

What else can you do when the sound of them is agony? There are people that I actively dislike for no other good reason than the sound of their voice. If they sound that way, I more or less find other things to dislike about them...not something I like to admit, but true nonetheless.

I am the same way about people who smell offensive to me, too (usually due to perfumes or artificial scents).

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jan 2006, 6:12 pm

I don't like high-pitched sounds. they hurt my ears.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 6:32 pm

I don't mind high pitched sounds as long as they are "clean" sounds (not too many harmonics and no dischordant polyphony). I don't like high pitched voices, though. I can sleep when guys are talking within earshot, but a girl talking or laughing will keep me awake with raw nerves and a bad attitude.