Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

bikermark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2009, 9:57 am

I have been elected by my Union sisters and brothers to be among the representatives sent by Local 506 of United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America, or UE, to our biannual national convention. One of my assignments is on the Resolutions Committee, which helps set policy for our Union.

This is a link to the Resolutions put forth at the last National Convention and adopted as policy, at least three of which were related to equal rights:

http://www.ueunion.org/policy_tc.html

If you were going to write a resolution urging Neurodifference as Neurodiversity as opposed to a disability model, what would you include? How would you write it? Would you approach it differently?

Bikermark is an ID I have had since before my awareness of my AS. I am also know as Mentatmark, for you Dune fans.

Mark

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2009, 12:43 pm

I just spent several hours researching this. I found out that lots of NDs complain, but you are one of the few who are taking a proactive stance - I applaud you!! !

Self-advocacy is a very important step, but group advocacy is how we will achieve notable changes in our world. My experience with organizing ASDs to group advocacy is that it would be easier to herd cats. As you move along in writing the resolution, I would be honored to edit, offer ideas, etc. Once you have a completed document, I will encourage you to publish it to inspire others. So often these documents are written by well meaning NTs. I am excited that an ND is doing so!! !

You might find some ideas to bounce off of at:

www.brainhe.com/resources/documents/Josep.doc (Self knowledge and disclosure: key issues for neurodiverse people in the workplace)

http://ballastexistenz.autistics.org/?p=564 (Michelle Dawson won her human rights case)

www.hmie.gov.uk/.../6HMIEDisabilityEqua ... ch2009.doc (SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT DISABILITY EQUALITY SCHEME 2008-2011 - HMIE ACTION PLAN 2008-2009: PROGRESS REPORT)

as a side note:
http://neurodiversity.com/weblog/article/60/

Good luck :P

bikermark

07 Aug 2009, 1:16 pm

I was afraid that my post was an instant thread killer. Thanks for a studied reply. I was hoping that others here saw this as an other way to address the problems we have with getting out the message.

My convention is in the middle of September, so there is time to have a cooperative effort on this. I will start on a rough draft after I do some research, including following your links.

Mark

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2009, 2:12 pm

That's not much time. I will be happy to help - and maybe others will wander by and give us a hand too.

If I find more info, I will send it to you! If there is something in particular you want, just let me know. This is an important project - I don't need much encouragement to be your assisstant!! :P

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 4:28 pm

My resolution would be that everybody on this planet, disability or not, has a beautiful mind. Brains are like snowflakes, they are all beautiful, and no two are alike.

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2009, 10:02 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
My resolution would be that everybody on this planet, disability or not, has a beautiful mind. Brains are like snowflakes, they are all beautiful, and no two are alike.

Could you please run for public office so I can vote for you???

Doublefrost
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2009, 1:21 am

This union seems to be in a general field of work that would inherently promote employment of non-neurotypicals, particularly aspies in the higher technology branches of manufacturing and maintenance. What's the objective of the resolution? Is it publicity and recognition or is it to curb any noticed discriminatory practices or attitudes within it?

bikermark

13 Aug 2009, 10:19 am

The Union itself is not the problem. My Local of UE has been supportive. Neurodiversity (ND) is a new concept to them, but they are a very inclusive union, and they could be a crack in the NT wall through which society is introduced to ND. We both are very much for social justice, my Union as their belief and I as my nature.

The objectives of the resolution would be: to educate the Union about Neurodiversity; have the Union encourage companies they deal with to see Neurodiversity as a diversity to welcome, just as different races, genders, sexual orientations, etc. are (supposedly) welcome in the workplace because differences make us stronger; and to strengthen the Union's position on this by having a policy on record.

My company is the impediment. I have tried to get them to recognize AS/Autism as a Neurodiversity difference, just as left handedness is accepted. Come to think of it, would not handedness, right or left, be a ND issue also? They see it as a "ploy" to "get away" with "stuff."

For the last two years, that has been the situation. I told them that recognizing ND as a diversity issue is in their own best interest, because as an ADA issue, they lose a LOT of say. If I have to pursue it as an ADA issue instead of as a diversity issue, I become handicapped in their eyes.

I am not the first to go through this at work, nor will I be the last, but charting a course for others to follow is always a contribution to humanity. If we can craft a resolution that would make it easier for the ND employees to contribute to society, and get more ND employed and valued, we all gain.

I plan to go to my Union Hall this afternoon to pick up a copy of our National Constitution. There is language in it that I will need to reference for this resolution. No, the Constitution is not online, although I did email the webmaster about that oversight.

Mark

PS thanks for checking into my Union, I am proud of us.

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2009, 1:11 pm

bikermark wrote:
The Union itself is not the problem. My Local of UE has been supportive. Neurodiversity (ND) is a new concept to them, but they are a very inclusive union, and they could be a crack in the NT wall through which society is introduced to ND. We both are very much for social justice, my Union as their belief and I as my nature.

The objectives of the resolution would be: to educate the Union about Neurodiversity; have the Union encourage companies they deal with to see Neurodiversity as a diversity to welcome, just as different races, genders, sexual orientations, etc. are (supposedly) welcome in the workplace because differences make us stronger; and to strengthen the Union's position on this by having a policy on record.

My company is the impediment. I have tried to get them to recognize AS/Autism as a Neurodiversity difference, just as left handedness is accepted. Come to think of it, would not handedness, right or left, be a ND issue also? They see it as a "ploy" to "get away" with "stuff."

For the last two years, that has been the situation. I told them that recognizing ND as a diversity issue is in their own best interest, because as an ADA issue, they lose a LOT of say. If I have to pursue it as an ADA issue instead of as a diversity issue, I become handicapped in their eyes.

I am not the first to go through this at work, nor will I be the last, but charting a course for others to follow is always a contribution to humanity. If we can craft a resolution that would make it easier for the ND employees to contribute to society, and get more ND employed and valued, we all gain.

I plan to go to my Union Hall this afternoon to pick up a copy of our National Constitution. There is language in it that I will need to reference for this resolution. No, the Constitution is not online, although I did email the webmaster about that oversight.

Mark

PS thanks for checking into my Union, I am proud of us.

Have you had a chance to start the resolkution you plan to submit? I will be happy to see what you have started in order to contribute.

I will help in any way I can.

I think it is very important to have a two-prong approach; both grass roots and national.

Right-on bikermark!