Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2009, 10:53 am

visnofskygirl wrote:

what if all people around you cannot walk but you can?
would you consider that as a disability?The disability not to walk? >.<

Haha - great analogy, Visnofskygirl!

So why, folks - nearly a decade after this article was written (by a respected NT researcher, to boot) - has nothing moved forward for us? How do we coalesce in to a group so that we have a voice that will be heard? it is my goal that the entry for the next edition of the DSM for autism & asperger be written by – or at least heavily influenced - auties and aspies.

In analyzing the bios of people who have historically made significant break-throughs in in science and art to the benefit of the NTWorld, one sees the DSM IV criteria for ASD come to life. Most of these incredible minds were educated at home (b/c schools deemed them ret*d), encouraged in their interests, and many did not need to participate in the rat-race typical of today’s society to scratch out a living. I would LOVE to influence the DSM V!! !! !

By trying to “cure” autism, are we denying the world minds that have the capacity to intensely focus on a narrow interest while remaining relatively immune to the current popular perspective of an issue (i.e. open minded perspectives)? Do we want these minds distracted by seeking social events and relationships?

Are we going to nurture young minds already showing promise by their intense interest, if an albeit immature manner, by collecting bottle tops - or are we going to suppress them by imposing ordinariness on them?

What if Wolfgang Mozart, Maria Gaetana Agnesi, Isaac Newton, Ellen Swallow Richards, and Leonardo da Vinci had been stuck in self-contained classrooms with the poorest of staff who overtly and covertly saw them as poor disabled children, haphazard curriculum, and who are mandated to suppressed their obsessive interests? No wonder these kiddos stim!

This is NTWorld shooting itself in the foot in trying to rub out minds they do not understand

Last edited by Awiddershinlife on 09 Aug 2009, 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2009, 11:10 am

visnofskygirl wrote:
ASPERGER SYNDROME/AUTISM IS NOT DISABILITY.IT DOES NOT DIMINISH A PERSON AS A HUMAN BEING.IT IS ONLY A DIFFERENCE AND AS WE ALL KNOW,PEOPLE ARE ALL DIFFERENT(everybody is unique).AUTISM IS A GIFT. PEOPLE WITH "THIS ABILITY" and not disability ARE MORE INTELLIGENT AND COMPETENT THAN WE MIGHT REALIZE...

Right on, Visnofskygirl!!

What kind of pots are we to call the kettle black?

If we do to our brothers and sisters with autism what NTs do to us (mistake our differences for being stupid), we are just insulting ourselves.

Many of our adult auties have good minds, but do not have a way to communicate in place. Those of us who can band together to strengthen our voice need to listen carefully to those who cannot currently speak for themselves.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 10:39 am

Defining Disability topic

More like Difability.

All people Dx with AS must be analyzed on a case-by-case basis. Everyone's AS is a little different.

I have a difabilty vis-a-vis employment. I get help with this so I can obtain and retain employment--this is a difficult area for me due to co-existing conditions along with my AS.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo