Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 8:35 pm

if, when I was a child and I played with elemental mercury, could it have effected me in some way?

I remember that my folks used to never really mind if I played with the mercury from broken thermometers and whatnot. Could it have caused various things like ADHD, Aspergers and such?

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 11:05 pm

digger1 wrote:
if, when I was a child and I played with elemental mercury, could it have effected me in some way?

Yes.

digger1 wrote:
I remember that my folks used to never really mind if I played with the mercury from broken thermometers and whatnot. Could it have caused various things like ADHD, Aspergers and such?

No.

The famous experiments with mercury simply said that it was possible to duplicate the effects of autism in rats with extended doses of mercury.... but what does that really mean...
- That rats didn't start lining things up or sorting them into colours.
- The rats didn't lose the ability to empathise with other rats...

nope... they just started stimming and rocking.... heck I could think of lots of things that could have that effect.

Arcanyn
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2009, 6:06 am

The whole mercury->autism thing is nonsense. Mercury is a fairly indiscriminate poison. Its main mechanism of action is governed by its high affinity for sulphur - mercury will bind to the SH groups in proteins, and in doing so alter the shape of the protein, and in the case of enzymes render them non-functional. When enough mercury is present in a cell, there will be sufficient inhibition of the cell's enzymes that the cell will no longer be able to function, and the cell will die. This will affect cells all over the body, including brain cells, which will result in the loss of brain cells. The effect of mercury poisoning is brain damage; it converts healthy neurons into dead and damaged ones. Contrast with autism, in which the neurons are there and healthy, but they are simply wired in a different way to those in the brains of neurotypicals.

To use an analogy; going from a neurotypical brain to an autistic brain could be considered to be akin to changing from a Mac to a PC (or vice versa, depending on your preference). Going from a neurotypical (or autistic, for that matter) brain to a mercury-damaged brain is akin shooting your computer with a shotgun.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 8:19 am

sorry. just lookin for a cause.

Arcanyn
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2009, 8:53 am

I didn't mean to cause offence. The mercury thing is mentioned a lot (it's a common myth resulting from some dodgy research), and I tend to be blunt when discussing claims of very dubious merit. If I came across as ridiculing you, that wasn't my intent.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 10:02 am

it's all good. I just remembered something the other day about me playing with elemental mercury as a kid.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 8:51 am

digger1 wrote:
sorry. just lookin for a cause.

Could be many things - genetics, birth trauma, etc. - but not mercury. Mercury can cause damage, but not autism.

flipflopjenkins
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2009, 2:30 pm

Bear in mind they used to use mercury in dental fillings! :o

I don't know how many studies they've done on people who have mercury fillings, but the US Food and Drug Administration say that they are safe.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNe ... I120090729

Arcanyn
Toucan
Toucan

14 Aug 2009, 8:34 am

Actually, they still do. I had to have a filling a couple of years ago, and I had to specifically tell them not to use an amalgam. They claimed that it was safe and the mercury would not be absorbed, but given that I know mercury easily forms a monatomic vapour which is easily absorbed through the lungs into the bloodstream, I was hardly going to take their word on things.

cc469
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2009, 11:20 am

mercury vapor along with organic mercury compounds are toxic that's a reason why they don't excavate certain tombs in china.
you can inject pure mercury into your arm and not die.
but have the same amount near you so you inhale it's vapor and you will since it is absorbed well through the lunges.

If yo played with it once the difference is probably negliable it can't cause things like ADHD and ASD it basically destroys neurites(synapses) it can't account of the cellular organization seed in aspergers and autism.