Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

michiganfan317
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2009, 12:03 am

At this point in my life I seem to be very confused and conflicted when it comes to making friends. There are times when I could care less about having people around and then there are times when I feel a srong desire to have friends, even though it only lasts for a short period. Right now I have no friends but have a few aquaintances.

I just want to know the opinions of people on this site. How far do you go to make these friends. Do you just live life and let it happen or do you have to go for broke and try to iniciate everything. It would be good to know because I do not want to be alone for the rest of my life and I realize that the years in college are the best time for making friends and it does not get any easier after that.

It just seems that I put a ton of effort in to make a friend but I can never seem to sustain that effort to keep the relationship strong. I have made three to four good friends in the past but they all eventually petered out. Futhermore, I firmly beleive that even though relationships require work it shouldn't require a ton of work which it always seems to me. You should naturally have a need and want to make friends which makes it less work but for me it does not seem that way. Help me sort out this madness please.

WXDustin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2009, 12:22 am

michiganfan317 wrote:
At this point in my life I seem to be very confused and conflicted when it comes to making friends. There are times when I could care less about having people around and then there are times when I feel a srong desire to have friends, even though it only lasts for a short period. Right now I have no friends but have a few aquaintances.

I just want to know the opinions of people on this site. How far do you go to make these friends. Do you just live life and let it happen or do you have to go for broke and try to iniciate everything. It would be good to know because I do not want to be alone for the rest of my life and I realize that the years in college are the best time for making friends and it does not get any easier after that.

It just seems that I put a ton of effort in to make a friend but I can never seem to sustain that effort to keep the relationship strong. I have made three to four good friends in the past but they all eventually petered out. Futhermore, I firmly beleive that even though relationships require work it shouldn't require a ton of work which it always seems to me. You should naturally have a need and want to make friends which makes it less work but for me it does not seem that way. Help me sort out this madness please.

First off, don't sweat it dude, it is tough to make friends. Believe me I've been there many a times. :)

Friendships for me usually come with the effort from the other person to begin with. Someone with an ASD usually is not going to be the one who initaties a friendship, so it does take some luck for us though it happens. For me friendships usually just kind of happen, even if the person is very different from myself. In fact most of my close friends in college are very different from myself, but they at least try to understand my differences and help me when they can.

I may not be the most popular person or constantly invited to go places, but usually I feel like people care. Just be yourself man and join clubs.