Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

monastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 10:41 am

Do you ever feel like, “Why should I try?” - when it comes to school or your job or maybe life in general? I have heard about a program geared towards kids in school (that are considered “high risk”) but I think this program would be great for anyone that is struggling with life in general and especially for autistics that just can’t seem to get the hang of reaching for goals and using traits that perhaps we or most of the world see in a negative light, to achieve what we want out of life.

Just read what the founder of whytry.org, Christian Moore has to say about his own experiences in school. http://www.whytry.org/resources_just_think.html
It’s interesting to read that many of the same things he talks about, I too had problems with.

My oldest son went to a conference recently in which Mr. Moore was one of the speakers. Mr..Moore told the audience that his father is autistic and his mother struggles with anxiety attacks. I’m not sure if he has a dx of any particular kind but in school Mr. Moore himself was labeled with some sort of high risk / learning disability tag. My son said that his talk was very powerful and many of the applications talked about made a lot of sense for his own life.

If you are a teacher (or are involved in the school system, somehow) or a parent or just a person that would like to find better ways of achieving and thriving in a difficult world by using the skills and strengths we already have & at the same time boost self esteem a bit, then maybe you’d like to check out Christian Moore’s site, whytry.org.

I’d like to tell you about a book he has written, but alas, this hasn’t happened yet… although he does intend to write one, I hear. Just wanted to share the info…maybe you could ask if there is a whytry program at your school. I have a feeling we will be hearing a lot more from Christian Moore. I think I’ll write to Mr. Moore to see if he is considering a book for adults on basically the same subject matter. It’s never too late to learn new things, ya know.

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act. - George Orwell

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 11:26 am

great stuff, monastic - i'll be having a good look at that site.

thank you. :D

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 11:34 am

You have potential, that's why.

You shouldn't let anyone tell you different.

It's like this. You are like "a normal person," not, "a person labeled with social difficulties."

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 2:08 pm

I try because there is no good reason.