Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 12:50 pm

I talk to my very ASish friend sometimes about our various traits...but I don't always like to say the actual word "Asperger's" or autism....and I abbreviate it to "'tistic"....or sometimes I say I have the "'tisms"...When he gets on my case over some behavior that he doesn't understand....I also use the word addlepated a lot.

Anyone else do something like this?

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 1:07 pm

no, but I like your words. I don't like saying I have aspergers. I tried saying my brain is wired differently, but people take it figuratively.

when my husband and I talk about our peculiarities, we say "people like us" - although we're very different, it seems to come down to that brain thing.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 1:21 pm

I usually speak in a funny roundabout way and have funny nicknames for just about everything.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 1:53 pm

In my household, we've basically reduced Asperger's Syndrome to "AS", but indeed it sometimes takes on self-mocking, "cute" nicknames. Like sometimes I get: "Are you in 'Aspie-Land' right now?" Or it's variation, "Anxiety-Land". Occasionally I'll get a general, totally put-on: "You's craaazy".

We've found that humor and mockery are really helpful ways of getting through the problems that Asperger's Syndrome causes for us. We just make fun of it, and it seems less severe.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 1:58 pm

I think being neurologically disturbed is a rather funny way to talk about it. Just... others don't usually agree. So I guess I don't use anything cute.

I like kanner cutie, but that's something to call kids and I can't call them that in German.

Autie works wonderful in German, but I've yet to use that word in a conversation.

I don't have that much nice conversations about it.

People usually get all defensive when I say that I have autism and I'm too annoyed to deal with people being prissy cissies about me saying the word autism.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 2:02 pm

We call ourselves JELIBEANS!!
See why here!
http://www.jelibean.com/ladder/index.ph ... &Itemid=28

this is what I told my kids. Imagine a sweet shop, you know, one of those really old fashioned ones, the ones with a bell that rings as you open the door, the shopkeeper with his white pinny on, standing behind the counter, guarding the array of jars that line the shelves - the smell, colour and variety of those jars, scores of different types. Standing proudly in the centre are two jars, side by side, one full up to the rim of the lid with jellybeans, and the other full of marshmallows. Both jars are appealing and eye-catching for different reasons.

Jellybeans are a rainbow of colours, different sizes and shades, but more importantly very different flavours (pina colada is a personal fave of mine). Jellybeans are renowned for their brittle outside shell, but with that soft melting chewy bit in the centre. They're unpredictable, you never know quite what you have till the flavour has taken over your taste buds, by which time, it's too late, if you find you don't like it and want to spit it out.

Marshmallows, however, all appear similar, pink and white fluffy neat shapes that don't really taste of very much except a comforting sweetness. Marshmallows are enjoyable and they're squishy, popping back into shape easily. Dip your hand in a bag of marshmallows and you're pretty sure of what you're going to get. You can eat them for ever.

Likening people to jellybeans and marshmallows is easy and fun. It takes a very personal issue and makes it impersonal, therefore eliminating any blame, and any of those confusing labels that these experts pin on us and our children. I felt my Type One children were like little jumping jellybeans, colourful, tasty, and different. They each had their shimmering shells, and there were surprisingly jelly-like and uncertain little hearts and minds inside that bright thin shell.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 2:05 pm

I like the idea.

How about Cryptnates (cryptic & alternate- type of thinking/people), or Recluants (reclusive & pleasant- or people who get pleasure from solitude or who work/do best alone)? Just some ideas that I thought sounded better than the cliche` anti-social :roll:.

Last edited by Peko on 12 Aug 2009, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 2:07 pm

I like "Ass burger".

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2009, 2:16 pm

CaroleTucson wrote:
I like "Ass burger".
That's exactly why people don't like saying Asperger, it doesn't sound good in English. I don't want to be an ass burger. I usually just go with Aspie. It works well for me. It also makes me think of asps, which are cool. Much better than sandwiches made from posteriors.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 2:16 pm

Asparagus.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 2:21 pm

Malsane wrote:
CaroleTucson wrote:
I like "Ass burger".
That's exactly why people don't like saying Asperger, it doesn't sound good in English. I don't want to be an ass burger. I usually just go with Aspie. It works well for me. It also makes me think of asps, which are cool. Much better than sandwiches made from posteriors.

It all depends on how seriously you take it :)

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 2:24 pm

Me and my friend have little nick names and codes when mentioning AS (I hardly use the word aspergers, don't like it).
We say "A-dar" meaning when we know if someone has it our A-dar has gone off, or if we say some has an A-dar they have AS, or just could mean AS itself. And we also put our hands above our heads and close and open our hands like it's a flashing light and that is an impression of of our "A-dar" going off.
Another one we sometimes use is "hamburger/s" that comes from "ass-burgers" but we altered it slightly.
When we talk about our A-dars and hamburgers only we know what we're on about.

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2009, 2:27 pm

CaroleTucson wrote:
Malsane wrote:
CaroleTucson wrote:
I like "Ass burger".

It all depends on how seriously you take it :)
Which I understand, but I've been mercilessly mocked my whole life. I obtained my diagnosis 3 years ago, and I don't really want to give people any more fodder. People are not nice to me, so I try not to leave myself too open. But whatever suits you, I'm not going to have a cow unless people are actually mocking me.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 2:30 pm

Malsane wrote:
I'm not going to have a cow unless people are actually mocking me.

Oh believe me, I understand what you're saying. I hope it didn't sound like I was mocking you. I would never do that.

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2009, 2:31 pm

CaroleTucson wrote:
Malsane wrote:
I'm not going to have a cow unless people are actually mocking me.

Oh believe me, I understand what you're saying. I hope it didn't sound like I was mocking you. I would never do that.
Oh no, you're fine. I think we're understanding each other.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 2:43 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I usually speak in a funny roundabout way and have funny nicknames for just about everything.

me and my husband also have nicknames for everything but surprisingly we have no nick for AS
We really should have that because to mention it in full as it is feels somehow too naked
Because when we mention it then it means something serious is going on and I got myself into trouble due to AS...
so we really need a cute and funny name for it. Thanks for bringing on the idea!