Dealing with a momentary lapse of creativty

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

mad_to_the_bone_tom_t
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jan 2006, 4:03 pm

Does anyone out there have information on how to deal with those unwanted moments when you try to think of something creative and nothing seems to come through when you want it to... as I do find it a little depressing when i can't expand my originality.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2006, 5:40 pm

Diversify! As I paint, sometimes poetry will come to me. As I play an instrument or simply bang a drum, the drawing appears in my head. Also, feed your head with the creativity of others by appreciating their work. Good luck!

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 5:54 pm

I am constantly plagued with these moments. I sometimes feel as if I have no original ideas or that I lack the intelligence/insight/willpower to adequately develop the ones I do have. I have learned one important fact, however. True inspiration for all things creative comes during the process, not before.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 10:20 pm

mad_to_the_bone_tom_t wrote:
Does anyone out there have information on how to deal with those unwanted moments when you try to think of something creative and nothing seems to come through when you want it to... as I do find it a little depressing when i can't expand my originality.

I remember that Thomas Jefferson couldn't write the Declaration of Independence until he played his violin...and then I remember that I tried to play a violin once but it hurt my ears...and then that causes me to remember other funny memories...and that makes me laugh...and I like to write down what makes me laugh...which means I am now writing where I had been unable to think of something to write about...and then I keep writing until I can't think of something to write about any longer...and then I go read a book.

Other times I just write down whatever comes to my head first, no matter what it is, and then eventually I get to what I meant to write about in the first place. (I really like the movie Finding Forrester because feel like both Jamal and Mr. Forrester, plus there is some really good information in that movie.)

And other times I just kick the stuffing out my punching bag, or take the dogs on a walk, or throw mud against the back of the house, or splat paint against blank canvas---pretty much I just do something, and that gets my subconscious mind working on what needs to be done.

But I am definitely a multi-draft person.