Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 7:18 am

Greentea and others

So, your boss is making a big deal of how you sit? I don't understand what the big deal is.

In America, they make a big deal on how you carry your coat or jacket. You're supposed to carry it a certain way. I never knew that. When I try to ask about these things I'm either ignored or I don't get a straight answer. They will also answer in a strange way that makes no sense. Let's say a person is with their wife. They both rented a car from enterprise. The guy asks his wife where he is allowed to park the car to return it. The guy asks the wife 2 more times and gets the same answer of "put the car keys in the return slot." What does this mean?

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 7:29 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
"put the car keys in the return slot." What does this mean?

It is said with the assumption that one knows there is a place on the rental office building exterior or interior which is a box for depositing the keys of a car you've rented and are now finished with the use of.

Quote:
The guy asks his wife where he is allowed to park the car to return it. The guy asks the wife 2 more times and gets the same answer of "put the car keys in the return slot." What does this mean?
The wife probably pays just as little attention to what he says at home?
The wife has some kind of disassociative insanity?
He should get a new wife who listens to him?

There seem to be a lot of things in life where the answer makes no sense if you don't already know the answer to begin with.

studentM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2009, 7:44 am

I'm an American, and I've lived in the States all my life, and no one has every said a word about the way one should carry a coat or jacket. Models on a catwalk are the only people I know of who are required to wear, remove, and hold coats in a specific way. Maybe that's why it's hard to get a straight answer - because it's a non-issue or people don't understand the relevance of the question?

I'm constantly having to sort through miscommunication. In the NT world, clarity is hard to come by, and the more technology we incorporate into our lives, the worse it seems to get.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 8:00 am

studentM wrote:
Maybe that's why it's hard to get a straight answer - because it's a non-issue or people don't understand the relevance of the question?

Very interesting insight. I think it's definitely true that getting a meaningful answer requires asking the right question, which can be something very different to us compared to NT people.

studentM wrote:
I'm constantly having to sort through miscommunication. In the NT world, clarity is hard to come by, and the more technology we incorporate into our lives, the worse it seems to get.

Yes, and I think that's also true considering the number of choices and options we have. Sometimes I find myself nearly paralyzed with indecision because there are simply too many choices, most of which have very little actual difference between them.