Eating in a restaurant social etiquette

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 784
Location: OR

19 Aug 2009, 2:27 pm

No one in my family practices proper etiquette, and we don't eat too terribly fast. I know someone who does, and it trips me out. He always eats as if he's never had food before. But this guy trips me out about a lot of things. He has a nerve disorder and a case of echolalia (he'll repeat the last word or two that he just spoke). He also makes noises that I don't think he's even aware of.

Anyway, back on topic. One huge annoyance for me, when eating, is double-dipping. If I see someone do that, I won't use it anymore. I also hate it when people pick food off of my plate, or put food on my plate that they've touched.


_________________
"Occultism is the science of life; the art of living." - H.P. Blavatsky


fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,821
Location: The Autistic Hinterlands

19 Aug 2009, 3:50 pm

idiocratik wrote:
One huge annoyance for me, when eating, is double-dipping. If I see someone do that, I won't use it anymore.

It's generally not acceptable to do that, anyways, at least not here in the U.S. Personally I have no issues with it at all. If it's just my wife and I eating, then we do it all the time. We share everything anyways... :lol:


_________________
"That leap of logic should have broken his legs." - Janissy


idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 784
Location: OR

19 Aug 2009, 4:57 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
If it's just my wife and I eating, then we do it all the time. We share everything anyways...


Yeah, between me and a sig. other I generally don't mind. Weird how that works.


_________________
"Occultism is the science of life; the art of living." - H.P. Blavatsky


sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,766
Location: The Castle of Shock and Awe-tism

19 Aug 2009, 7:10 pm

Minding manners topic

In the old days, food would come in courses and not just on one plate so that eventually every body would be eating the same thing at the same time (soup would be first and the next course would not be served until a certain time interval would pass).

Nowadays, good ol' Micky D's gets everyone's orders at once (as a group) and then you sit and eat it roughly at the same time. Things get tricky when people go to a regular sit down eatery and order separately at the same table. Things would be easier if a bunch would order common pots of food to be delivered to the table that would remain hot/cold until all the food is at the table. Buffets are such that people get their victuals and then sit and chow down. :)

I would just be considerate and ask if anyone minds if the person who gets served first can eat if he /she is that hungry.


_________________
Radiant Aspergian
Awe-Tistic Whirlwind

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo


Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Dec 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,317

19 Aug 2009, 7:13 pm

pensieve wrote:
Don't start eating your meal until others have all received their meal.

I failed. I was second to receive my meal and just wolfed it down. Then my mum set me straight.

Do any other people wait until everyone has received their meal?


I am prohibited from eating steak in public.

I absolutely despise fat or gristle on my meat. So if I get a steak I will pick it up with my hands and "gnaw" around the fat and then leave the remains on my plate.

my husband said it looks like a rabid chihuahua attacked it.

Also do not talk about Soylent Green or masturbation or cannibalism or mad cow disease or Dirty Jobs or a long list of other topics at a restaurant...

... it makes the waitresses go away.


_________________
ADHD-diagnosed
Asperger's Syndrome-diagnosed


laseywerecat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 3 Aug 2009
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 22

19 Aug 2009, 7:26 pm

I have food rituals. I takes me an hour to properly cut, arrange and eat my food so no one ever minds if I get a head start on it.



fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,821
Location: The Autistic Hinterlands

19 Aug 2009, 7:49 pm

Shiggily wrote:
I am prohibited from eating steak in public.

I absolutely despise fat or gristle on my meat. So if I get a steak I will pick it up with my hands and "gnaw" around the fat and then leave the remains on my plate.

I still have a huge aversion to boogly, boogly gristle or chicken fat in my mouth. It makes me gag big time.

Shiggily wrote:
Also do not talk about Soylent Green or masturbation or cannibalism or mad cow disease or Dirty Jobs or a long list of other topics at a restaurant...

... it makes the waitresses go away.

If you can help it, don't sit next to a table of doctors at a restaurant, either. They can talk about anything over dinner, including some of the most disgusting things I've ever heard in my life.


_________________
"That leap of logic should have broken his legs." - Janissy


zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2009
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,784

20 Aug 2009, 6:15 am

Shiggily wrote:
Also do not talk about Soylent Green or masturbation or cannibalism or mad cow disease or Dirty Jobs or a long list of other topics at a restaurant...

... it makes the waitresses go away.


You and I would make great dining partners. I can talk about corpses while eating and not be disgusted.



dadsgotas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2009
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 94

22 Aug 2009, 4:37 pm

b9 wrote:
Quote:
Eating in a restaurant social etiquette


i do not have any idea of dining etiquette. i am not bothered to learn. i can not be arrested and charged for for having any dining etiquette misdemeanors so i care not to bother learning it.

pensieve wrote:
Don't start eating your meal until others have all received their meal.


when me and tammy are at the tavern to eat, we order our respective meals.
if my meal arrives first, then that is her bad luck.

usually i order something light like king prawns, and she orders something heavy like steak in mushroom sauce.
my meal is usually ready first, and i start eating it as soon as i can. i dislike to let the food cool off before i eat it. it tastes like "left overs" after about 5 minutes so i must eat
fast.

there is no chance that i will let my freshly served meal sit steaming in front of me unattended for the sake of "protocol".

moreover, after i have finished my meal, i leave the table. i can not remain sitting at the table if i am not eating because there is no reason to.

tammy often has her dish served up after i have finished mine, and i tell her where i will be when she finishes.
i do not stay to accompany her while she is eating because i just have no desire to.

once i am fed i move on from the table no matter who is there.

i do not care for "protocol" and "decorum" because my mind is not very exquisite.

if people have a problem with my manners they can ring the police.



Not knowing how other people feel is a symptom of Asperger's. Not caring how they feel is a symptom of something else.



SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 373
Location: Werewolf Country (Northern Canada)

22 Aug 2009, 11:42 pm

The only rules I follow are thus:

1. If you paid for your meal, you can eat whenever you damn well please.
2. If you can't pull off any formal dining grace (and you're not paying for your meal), lie, say you feel ill/full, and get it boxed up to send home, where you can eat like a slob that you are in peace and quiet.

I went to a wedding two years ago and couldn't remember the setting system for forks and knives, so ate a lot of finger friendly foods, then saved everything that was "messy" to eat for later in the evening at the hotel. A good simple system...



togda
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 9

23 Aug 2009, 1:35 am

I abide by the rule in formal situations out of respect, but in reality I would prefer that it be dropped.

If I am sitting with a friend at a restaurant and he receives his meal before mine, I feel most comfortable if he starts eating when he gets the food. I don't mean pigging out to the extent that he is almost finished eating by the time I receive my plate, but salting the food or slowly munching isn't anything offensive. If the food comes with sharable items like fries, chips, etc, the person who gets the meal first could offer to share those small things with the person who is waiting. It often happens that people leave a few fries/chips/tater tots on the plate at the end of the meal, anyway.

If I make my friend wait before I get my meal, I feel like I am holding him back from enjoying his meal. I don't like being in that position in general, and it would call for an especially silly situation if there happens to be a problem with my order, which may result in my meal being delayed for over 5 minutes.

While we are on the food topic, I have another pet peeve that I will mention because it comes up fairly often:

I went to Kazakhstan last summer, and that often becomes a topic of conversation with family friends at dinners. People are curious, so they ask about some of the more unusual foods one would eat in Kazakhstan. Since they are interested in the more unusual things, I go ahead and mention that in Kazakh tradition, horse meat is often consumed. When mentioning "horse meat" I see a few cringes and someone says something like "Oh let's not talk about that..."

At which point I want to say, "Well if you don't want to know the unusual things while we're eating, then don't ask me about it."



GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 529

23 Aug 2009, 3:13 am

It's considered polite to wait until everyone at the table has been served. I grew up with pretty traditionally WASP (very rigid) social mores being drilled into my head, and that's one that doesn't vary with the location/venue. I may refrain from opening doors for women in certain places, but I'll never rest my elbows on the table nor will I eat before everyone has been served.



b9
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,437
Location: australia

23 Aug 2009, 10:30 am

dadsgotas wrote:
b9 wrote:
Quote:
Eating in a restaurant social etiquette


i do not have any idea of dining etiquette. i am not bothered to learn. i can not be arrested and charged for for having any dining etiquette misdemeanors so i care not to bother learning it.

pensieve wrote:
Don't start eating your meal until others have all received their meal.


when me and tammy are at the tavern to eat, we order our respective meals.
if my meal arrives first, then that is her bad luck.

usually i order something light like king prawns, and she orders something heavy like steak in mushroom sauce.
my meal is usually ready first, and i start eating it as soon as i can. i dislike to let the food cool off before i eat it. it tastes like "left overs" after about 5 minutes so i must eat
fast.

there is no chance that i will let my freshly served meal sit steaming in front of me unattended for the sake of "protocol".

moreover, after i have finished my meal, i leave the table. i can not remain sitting at the table if i am not eating because there is no reason to.

tammy often has her dish served up after i have finished mine, and i tell her where i will be when she finishes.
i do not stay to accompany her while she is eating because i just have no desire to.

once i am fed i move on from the table no matter who is there.

i do not care for "protocol" and "decorum" because my mind is not very exquisite.

if people have a problem with my manners they can ring the police.



Not knowing how other people feel is a symptom of Asperger's. Not caring how they feel is a symptom of something else.


what? i do not understand your caption applied my post.

are you talking about sociopathy? are you implying tammy is a sociopath? are you implying i am one?

i never mentioned "feelings" in my post. i do not see how you glean a diagnosis about me based upon what you think is an inference in my post.

you are the inferer and what ever you see is contained within your eye.

i never mentioned how anyone reacts to my behavior.

no one reacts at all because anyone who knows me well enough to eat with me will know not to be "offended" by my behavior.

you are wrong.



dadsgotas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2009
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 94

23 Aug 2009, 12:32 pm

b9, please don't take it the wrong way if you really can't understand what I'm saying.

In terms of the words you wrote and what they convey to the reader, it's untrue to say that you didn't mention feelings in your post. I understood you to mean that you don't care because you wrote so many times that you don't care. You wrote:

i am not bothered to learn
i care not to bother
that is her bad luck
there is no chance that i will let my freshly served meal sit steaming in front of me unattended for the sake of "protocol".
i do not stay to accompany her while she is eating because i just have no desire to
i do not care


What you wrote is pretty unambiguously that you don't care what anyone, including Tammy, thinks or feels about your behaviour. If this is not what you intended, then this is exactly the kind of communication problem we have from time to time. If you did intend this, then I don't think it's typical of people with AS. I think that just as research indicates, while we may be insensitive to others' feelings, we're not largely uncaring about them.



sbwilson
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 187

23 Aug 2009, 1:20 pm

pensieve wrote:
Don't start eating your meal until others have all received their meal.

I failed. I was second to receive my meal and just wolfed it down. Then my mum set me straight.

Do any other people wait until everyone has received their meal?


I learned this lesson as a kid at my grandma's house for Christmas. It was a very strict regimen for Christmas dinner. However, as an adult, I usually just dive into dinner when it's on my plate. The rule in our house is much more 'get while the gettin's GOOD!'