Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 11:53 am

For those of you who did A/AS Levels and got their results today, how did you do?

Here are my AS results:

Mathematics - A (265/300)
Chemistry - A (254/300)
Geography - A (172/200)
Physics - B (234/300) - 6 marks off an A!

Very pleased overall, a bit annoyed with the Physics though. Geography was a complete surprise.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 12:37 pm

Congrats. I suppose you didn't really need to worry about your results then. I'm still waiting for when they give out the GCSE results. 8O

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 3:52 pm

^^ Very well done deep-techno! I believe I happily received my A-Level examnation results last year and I believe I also happily studied Chemisty, Mathematics and Physics. However, I believe as opposed to happy Geography, I studied Further Mathematics. ^^ These were indeed fun I believe however I was not very skilled.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 4:10 pm

Tomasu wrote:
^^ Very well done deep-techno! I believe I happily received my A-Level examnation results last year and I believe I also happily studied Chemisty, Mathematics and Physics. However, I believe as opposed to happy Geography, I studied Further Mathematics. ^^ These were indeed fun I believe however I was not very skilled.

Thanks! I'm going to pick up AS Further Maths next year and I'm dropping Geography (I already dropped it before the end of the year because I was certain that I didn't want to continue it). However, to have a competitive Maths application for Uni, is it a good idea to do the full A-Level Further Maths in Year 13?

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 4:33 pm

Good job, though I have absolutely no clue what an A/AS level is. Is it a US thing? I'm from Canada, so a lot of US school stuff (like SATS) don't happen here.

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 5:49 pm

ebec11 wrote:
Good job, though I have absolutely no clue what an A/AS level is. Is it a US thing? I'm from Canada, so a lot of US school stuff (like SATS) don't happen here.

A/AS Level is a UK term (IIRC England, Wales, and Ireland) while Scotland has Higher Learning Exams?

The SAT/ACT are US-based and are privately administered and completely optional for students leaving compulsory secondary education.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2009, 6:16 pm

GreatCeleryStalk wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

A/AS Level is a UK term (IIRC England, Wales, and Ireland) while Scotland has Higher Learning Exams?

The SAT/ACT are US-based and are privately administered and completely optional for students leaving compulsory secondary education.
Thanks :D We don't really have something like that in Canada, just a test in grade 12 English that's board-wide.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2009, 10:53 am

deep-techno wrote:
Tomasu wrote:

Thanks! I'm going to pick up AS Further Maths next year and I'm dropping Geography (I already dropped it before the end of the year because I was certain that I didn't want to continue it). However, to have a competitive Maths application for Uni, is it a good idea to do the full A-Level Further Maths in Year 13?

^^ Yaye I see deep-techno. I believe this would be very useful to study AS Further Mathmatics if you would wish to study Mathematics within a happy University. ^^ However, I believe this would be very happy for you to have only AS Level Further MAthematics A-Level. Within my particular University, York University, I am studying happy Mathematics and I believe no Further Mathematics is required for this. ^^ However, I did find the fact that I studied Further Mathematics very useful as these topics are studied again in a little further detail I believe. I believe this is certainly a magical course however.