PhD for cash, is it right or wrong ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 12:59 pm

Some German profs have got into trouble over PhDs for cash, what do you think ?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090822/ap_ ... estigation

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 1:05 pm

Wrong. How can you have competent professionals on the field if they bribed teachers in order to get their P.h.D s? They'd be a threat to the people (in sectors such as public construction) due to their incompetence.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 4:29 pm

It sounds like fraud, and the long term consequence will be that a PhD will not be worth much.

ruveyn

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 6:03 pm

It does seem fraudulent, but I hope it isn't.

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2009, 8:06 pm

it seems that lots of people have wrong assumptions on what phds do. phd is typically given to you after you make a new discovery on a very specialized topic (new can be very much "new"). rarely that produces something useful thus the fake diplomas do not worry me at all.

i hope any of you would research more on these in case you want to go to grad school so can have a real data on the value and life of phds. a comic yet realistic approach is done in piled higher and deeper comic.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 2:27 pm

Since everything's gone 'credentialed' (at least in the business world; you can hardly get a job without expensive training), it's inevitable that eventually this mentality would leak into the academic world...

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 11:22 pm

Very wrong... simply put.......it undermines academic intergrity and gives some people anvantage unfair advantage over others.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

27 Aug 2009, 11:01 pm

I don't think anyone could truthfully say that they think this is right.
This just reinforces my opinions on money & society.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 6:27 am

I have a PhD in Divinity and I am a legal minister of religion.

Years ago I sent $25 to a church in California and they sent me the papers.

Just call me "Reverend" or "Doctor". :D

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 3:55 pm

Most PhD theses in Divinity read like this...

"God did it."

They tend to be very brief :?

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 10:54 pm

What!? God got off his holy behind and made you a doctor or reverend? I want pics xD

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2009, 1:42 pm

Very wrong, and a disgrace to their fields. PhDs are intended to represent expertise in a given field and the capacity to contribute to its body of knowledge. These PhDs do not necessarily reflect these things, and are therefore illegitimate.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 2:53 pm

ruveyn wrote:
It sounds like fraud, and the long term consequence will be that a PhD will not be worth much.

ruveyn

I agree. If you can get a degree just by paying enough bucks, it doesn't say anything about your skills anymore.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 2:25 am

I disagree with the notion that by paying a bribe for one's PhD does not add to the newly-minted Doctor's skill set and knowledge.

By being asked to pay for their PhD, the doctoral candidate gets valuable education on the way the world really operates. He is guided through the process and attains the skills necessary to successfully bribe one's way into a better paying job or financial opportunity. If he fails to complete the bribery exercise, his exposure vis a vis law enforcement is greatly limited, so he can make errors throughout the bribe-paying process that might result in a lengthy prison term if not fully practised in a setting that minimizes risk to the student. Once the doctoral candidate sucessfully demonstrates the ability and skills required to sucessfully bribe his professor and attain his PhD, then he is qualified to go out into the real world and has learned to offer and accept bribes according to established procedures kept in place to thwart undercover operatives.

This is arguably perhaps the most important skill he will learn during his education, for even a top-notch researcher will find himself ostracised in the community if he cannot complete, where such action is both customary and necessary, a bribery scenario without being detected by persons not involved in the transaction.

"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it." - bribery suspect, after denying any knowledge of bribery occurring regularly in his industry.