Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 8:48 am

It's looking like I might have to. I remember doing a meteorology course and hating it (I'd ask questions but the teacher wanted me to stick to the chapter we were currently on plus as a meteorologist he didn't go too indepth about the WEIRD 2004 Hurricane season we were having so he wasn't that great IMO) I vowched never to do one again but I think I might have to. :-( (I want to become a Psychologist which my parents are against but I'd just be getting my AA then I can go to a dorm and University to become a Psychologist. :-) Any tips for doing online courses?

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 9:47 am

I took on-line courses through the California educational system and I also got a paralegal certificate on-line. I much prefer it to being in the classroom.

You may want to consider being a psychologist who does assessment (psychometrist.) I have an MA in Psychology and can't work with people due to AS. But, something like that I could probably do if I weren't disabled in other ways.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

studentM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2009, 10:59 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
Any tips for doing online courses?

My school is online, plus three conferences a year at the campus. I do my academic work through the computer, and then my clinical training in person.

I've found I'm able to get my assignments done and makes A's, but I miss the classroom interaction. I'm not extremely social, so it's not so much to make friends or interact with peers, but I do crave having the information offered in a variety of ways, as opposed to sitting in front of my computer screen day after day.

I renewed my CPR/AED last weekend, and it was so motivating - having the vocabulary used, hands on activities, class discussions about various scenarios - that I'm going to go back for EMT training.

If you're going for a degree online, and will be doing all your course work this way, you just have to pace yourself during the semester and be very disciplined and focused about making the most of your time. Speaking from experience, it's easy to get behind if you procrastinate.

Observer20
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2009, 12:33 pm

It depends on the school and what is being offered. A lot of those online-only schools are nothing more than degree mills.

I had to take Internship online, I had an internship lined up before the class, but the work was so stupid, we had to write on a message board every week. It was nothing more than stupid busy work.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2009, 8:48 pm

I'm taking an online course this year, I'll tell you how it goes :) I wish I had more to tell you right now.

Daniella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2009, 5:15 am

I'm doing a course in webdesign. Signed up through the internet. Got the materials sent to my home and I'm studying at home now. Every now and then I have to make some assignments and send it to them. I'll be having two exams somewhere next month.

It works for me. I'm gonna go further with these courses and learn more about webdesign.

If I'm ever going to do any school I doubt it'll be one which I'll have to attend to a lot.

sarbear1987
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2009, 1:48 am

I took three online courses so I could graduate on time last May. They were very, very easy for me. The best thing about them is that you can pretty much do them at your own pace; due dates are assigned, but the professors usually give you way more time than you'll need to complete them, because they know that you have a life.

I had no problems with the coursework (I tend to get distracted in person, so reading the lectures/assignments was easier than listening to them) but the test-taking was nerve-wracking. I suffer from horrible test anxiety* so going to the test center, being on a computer and taking important tests when my degree depended on me passing was pretty scary. But some people much prefer that to scantrons and #2 pencils and not being able to backspace.

If you don't have test anxiety, or computer test anxiety, then I say "It's completely easy and much more fun than sitting in a classroom on a sunny day".

*I just got my learner's permit, not because I didn't know the Rules of the Road, but because I had such computerized test anxiety that I had to run out of the DMV in tears on two previous occasions... :oops:

http://youtube.com/posthumorously = my vlog

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 6:40 pm

I have an online Philosophy course and a Biology course that meets once a week but most of our work is online. I really prefer meeting in class to online stuff. Online I can't really ask questions and if I don't get an A, I don't get any feedback from my teachers about what I did wrong. I'm getting better grades in my non-online classes. And I have to check all the time to look for new assignments and to see when things are due, in class it's just easier to keep up with things. And I just feel like I'm learning more there.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2009, 8:27 am

I've taken a few courses online (Environmental Science and Abnormal Psychology last spring, Women's Health and Human Sexuality last summer, and right now I'm taking Psychology of the Internet the first half of this semester and will take Human Growth and Development the second half) in addition to taking classes on campus. I've found that online classes are usually less stressful than on-campus classes. I generally don't even read the book until I'm taking the test (since tests for online classes tend to be open-book).

I think taking a combination of online and on-campus classes is the best option if you want to take online classes. It allows you to take a full course-load without your schedule being to stressful (since you can log in to online classes whenever you want. My Psychology of the Internet class is a 3 credit course, but I've been only logging in for maybe a half hour or so each week and I'm getting an A), but you still get the experience of going to campus. I think I'd get bored and just not want to do anything if all of my classes were online, but one or two at a time is manageable.

You can still ask questions in online classes by sending the professor an email, or by posting on the class discussion board if the class has one.

ValleyBridetoBe
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2009, 9:48 am

I did a Veterinary Assisting course online and I was very successful with it.
My marks in "real" school were not very good, but my average with the online course was around 96%.

I have 3 cats (show 2 in cat shows) and 1 rabbit, and wanted to volunteer for SPCA.

I might do another online course on Conservation next.

The tests were open book and only 20 multiple choice questions.

TuDoDude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Sep 2009, 8:50 pm

I was done with school before home computers were so prevalent. I had to suffer through classrooms. I would have gladly completed my entire degree online given the opportunity.

zeldapsychology wrote:
It's looking like I might have to. I remember doing a meteorology course and hating it (I'd ask questions but the teacher wanted me to stick to the chapter we were currently on plus as a meteorologist he didn't go too indepth about the WEIRD 2004 Hurricane season we were having so he wasn't that great IMO) I vowched never to do one again but I think I might have to. :-( (I want to become a Psychologist which my parents are against but I'd just be getting my AA then I can go to a dorm and University to become a Psychologist. :-) Any tips for doing online courses?

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 1:42 am

I took intro psych online and I preferred it to a classroom setting.

juliekitty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 1:50 am

I've done a few and they rule.

You are judged on your written work, which means neurotypical spur-of-the-moment glibness is for once no advantage.

Review all submissions carefully before posting or submitting and you will do well.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 3:47 am

Yeah, I like them better than writing.