Page 4 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Minerva
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2006, 7:33 pm

reeses wrote:
Lately he's been going out more, which is great. I'm wondering if anyone here feels more comfortable after drinking?

f**k yeah. I can't survive in more club or party atmospheres without drinking. I become less sensitive to noise, and it makes me a bit more sociable. Kava can be useful to, but the affects are different.

applesauce
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2006, 5:25 am

Hrm. Obviously on this one I'm an oddball.

I hate drinking.

I hate the culture that makes people think getting drunk is cool, when actually it means letting your guard down, making yourself more vulnerable and putting yourself greatly at risk of public humiliation. Plus binge drinking makes you physically ill short term and long term.

To me it's a total waste of time. Having too much to drink doesn't make you less Aspie, it just makes you less prepared for a bad situation. If we're already naive and unable to read other people's reactions properly, we're even more likely to get hurt drunk.

If being completely wrecked is being more NT, thank God I'm not NT :S

Apple

HydroPurity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2006, 12:38 am

There is a very good chance I already replied to this post, very good chance. But I'm just gonna say what I probably said before. Drinking is the s**t, and it goes great with AS. It kills anxiety, for the most part. I can enjoy any situation drunk as long as I like the people or atmosphere. And the burn in your stomach is a reminder that life, can be heartwarming and cozy at times. Lets not forget that even with all the f*****g deushebags in the world, we can still get s**t faced and tell those sons of b*****s to make like ostriches and stick their head back up their ass. Many people say that after you turn 21, the fun of getting drunk goes away, I have a feeling that won't be the case for me.

car_crash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 May 2006, 11:39 am

HydroPurity wrote:
There is a very good chance I already replied to this post, very good chance. But I'm just gonna say what I probably said before. Drinking is the s**t, and it goes great with AS. It kills anxiety, for the most part. I can enjoy any situation drunk as long as I like the people or atmosphere. And the burn in your stomach is a reminder that life, can be heartwarming and cozy at times. Lets not forget that even with all the f*** deushebags in the world, we can still get s**t faced and tell those sons of b*****s to make like ostriches and stick their head back up their ass. Many people say that after you turn 21, the fun of getting drunk goes away, I have a feeling that won't be the case for me.

amen reverend. reading that makes me wish i was drunk right now.

i'm suprised you havent been snapped up for a budweiser commercial already :twisted:

Jont
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2006, 8:25 am

drinking is great, it calms my nerves gets rid of all my anxiousness/neverousness all my worries fly out the window.it gives one hell of a confidence boast.

only thing is my relationship with my GF has suffered severly becuase of this it would have been 3 years this september, if i hadnt gone and chucked it all away. to many times have i been insanely drunk and cheated,now shes lost and I don't think thigns will ever be the same again.so yeah being drunk is great but don't screw over the people close to you.

by the way im Jon new around here didnt know such places exhisted!

jmoney
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2006, 12:18 pm

I act too social and end up saying a lot of things I regret.

But it kills my anxiety and I actually feel normal when I drink.

When I'm stoned I just get even more paranoid.

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 2:39 pm

Well it's now been a month since I got back on the piss (working in a pub will do that to you), but I still haven't got drunk yet. Hoping to keep it that way. I'm insane enough when I'm sober.

PS - Welcome aboard Jont :D

You got to ask for it

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2006, 6:22 pm

Alcohol makes me depressed, which isn't surprising considering it's a depressant. So I don't drink it, even though it does lower my social anxiety. I've done some dumb things in the past while drunk, mostly having to do with the effect it has on my mood.

TijuanaLady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2006, 7:30 pm

jmoney wrote:
I act too social and end up saying a lot of things I regret.

But it kills my anxiety and I actually feel normal when I drink.

When I'm stoned I just get even more paranoid.

Exactly the same for me...

I become so extrovert when I drink and I feel extremly bad afterwards. I prefer to keep my thoughts and feelings for my self. I’ m an introvert and I like it!! I enjoy keeping things for my self.

a1kemi
Raven
Raven

14 Jun 2006, 5:45 am

Booze is almost the only thing I've tried that realy kills the anxiety for me. Infact after quite a bit I feel almost normal 8O . Here's the things that work for me from weakest to strongest:
Chamomile Tea
Decaffinated tea - the theanine increases GABA and would be perfect in raw form.
Valerian - good but causes an eerie feeling and nightmares.
Alcohol - unfortunately for my liver I require quite a bit before it starts to work.

Because it's not feasable to drink tea every 10 minutes all day and because of the obvious side effects of alcohol I'm not satisfied with any of these.

Nevertheless, I quite enjoy a bottle of wine or brandy while watching late TV on a weekend. Once drunk I write lyrics and poetry that probably only I will ever see. On the rare occasion that I hit the clubs, someone always says "you need to drink more, we'll get you talking". Sometimes it works but NO amount of alcohol ever allows me to dance.

Does anyone know a viable alternative to alcohol that actually works, preferably for longer than an hour or two? I've never had valium or been stoned, but strictly theoretically, are there better alternatives than alcohol?

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2006, 10:39 am

a1kemi wrote:
Once drunk I write lyrics and poetry that probably only I will ever see.

If you need any music for your lyrics, please let me know. After a prodigious amount of red wine, I tend to get on my computer and start sampling and remixing dance music that nobody will ever hear...due to my incompetence on the lyrical side of things... :wink:

You got to ask for it

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2006, 12:45 am

autisticon wrote:
The only time I can successfully communicate is:
a) When I'm drunk
b) When I'm stoned

So yes, its normal

sounds like me. i wouldn't call it too successful of communication, though considering the intoxication but verbalizing is certainly a lot easier and the invisible wall is torn down more easily, it seems. though i do notice that i'm probably one of the more aware people when i'm stoned.

muchacha
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2006, 6:22 am

deleted

Last edited by muchacha on 27 Jun 2006, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

muchacha
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2006, 6:29 am

a1kemi wrote:

Nevertheless, I quite enjoy a bottle of wine or brandy while watching late TV on a weekend. Once drunk I write lyrics and poetry that probably only I will ever see. On the rare occasion that I hit the clubs, someone always says "you need to drink more, we'll get you talking". Sometimes it works but NO amount of alcohol ever allows me to dance.

My sympathies! My dancing and my karaoke appearances ought to be sponsored by Brown Brothers.
a1kemi wrote:

Does anyone know a viable alternative to alcohol that actually works, preferably for longer than an hour or two? I've never had valium or been stoned, but strictly theoretically, are there better alternatives than alcohol?

Have you ever tried damiana before? It's a mildly euphoric/aphrodisiac herb that you can get in most organic grocery stores. One heaped teaspoon per pot of tea, I find that the effect is mildly similiar to ecstasy. Mods please note, I do NOT do that stuff anymore!! Be warned though, I've heard other people say they get nightmares from the stuff. Never happened to me, yet. :)

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2006, 4:52 pm

I like the taste of beer (and whisky), but I have been drunk a single time and did not enjoy the experience. That's probably a good thing since my family has a genetic predisposition to alcoholism.

I guess it helps that I didn't drink at all through the worst periods of my depression (and also waited until I was nearly 25... about a month after "the worst periods of my depression" (numb acceptance) finally ended)

Unfortunately it doesn't exactly operate like "liquid courage" for me; sometimes I become even more quiet when drinking.

SheDevil
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2006, 5:58 am

I am amazed that drinking/drugging is not more prevalent and more of a problem in the AS community. So many dealing w/ AS appear to be struggling, and/or undiagnosed and without medications that may help. Alcohol and drugs would be one step to self-medicate. (But then, an Aspie may logically weigh the consequences first).

Is drinking/drugging a big problem in the AS community? And if so, I wonder why we don't hear more about it.

SheDevil
(an NT on a discovery mission....trying to understand a friend)