Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2006, 1:43 pm

It wasn't a personal attack. It was a rant. If it was a personal attack, I would be cussing and insulting her. When I'm angry, I need to rant about something or I will get even angrier. I didn't even mention her name in my thread. There's a reason for that.

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 1:55 pm

Cade wrote:
*sigh*

1 - a graphic image is called graphic for a reason. Saying things like "he doesn't post much," "we'd have to censor the default avatars too," "go get Foxfire," or "it's no worse than kids' TV" are all fallacious positions. It remains what it is, regardless to what B.S. you smear on it. Psychologically, it's well known that graphic images effect the mind is more immediate, more distressing and more intense ways than graphic words. This should be considered more the case with people who are psychologically vulnerable (including kids and teens, who are allowed to participate here) or visually domiant thinkers (as many Aspies and autistics are). This has nothing to do with being "PC" beause it is not about about morality, but about the possibility of causing someone distress on a psychological level.

2 - just because X is someone's interest and obsession or is "very important" to him or her, doesn't necessiate that person exercising a sense of entitlement over against the larger group. Participation in a community or group requires some degree of self-filtering. If members are allowed to participate who refuse to self-filter for the sake of cooperation and respect for the larger group, you can only expect this to alienate and ostracize other members, regardless to how you spin or who you blame. A willful lack of self-filtering is essentially psychological bullying, and like any bullying, the act of passively allowing it has a very broad influence over others and the overall social environment.

I'm actually pretty sympathetic towards Aylissa. I do think that she is being indirectly attacked, but not just by TB Samuri, but by everyone who's failing to see what's really going on here. We have a member that is distressed by the environment created here, and no one's seriously considering if this is the kind of environment WP ought have. No one's cosnidering that maybe there's been others alienated by this and perhaps others who have already left. But unlike Alyssia, just assumed that "This is how WP is" and rather than p*ss off the status quo, just didn't bother to say something before leaving.

I don't think the mods ought censor TB Samuri, but I do think he needs to be "big" about this and consider making more of an effort to be less rigid, reactionary and self-serving. He's purposefully obfuscating Alyssia's original criticism - a criticism of one image in a specific context - and making it into an overall personal attack, which I don't see is the actual case. I feel TB Samuri is off the mark there, and needs to recognize the difference and that there is certainly opportunity here to be more cooperative without having to deny what is meaningful to him.

Furthermore, his insistance that "this is important to me" only strengthen my feeling that it's more about entitlement to do as he pleases rather than it being a necessary element of his ongoing interests. I understand most of us, including myself, come to this forum with many negative experiences of being criticized, ridiculed and ostracized for being different, but that shouldn't mean we get a free pass to do whatever we want here. Rather I think we should take this as an opportunity to learn cooperative skills and make progress in our personal development in a more forgiving and understanding social environment.

Blood dripping on a person's mouth is not a graphic image. Even less so when it's an animated picture, and you can't even be sure that it's blood on the face unless told. It's an internet forum. No it doesn't mean that people should run amok with graphic images, but people should at least be able to choose their avatars in peace. Aylissa overreacted which lead to the Rage thread, and she complained that it was a direct insult to her even though she wasn't even named in it. So then what happens? Aylissa does the same exact thing that she accused TB of doing by starting this thread.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 2:03 pm

Reposting from RAGE thread since it seems applicable here.

Sophist wrote:
*trying to be a mediator*

TB, you felt you needed to talk about this, right? It doesn't sound-- at least to me-- like you're really complaining about aylissa but just weary of people saying the same things over and over to you. But it can be hard to talk about it on a forum where the other person is there. It's inevitably going to make that person (aylissa) feel uneasy. This is the reality of it and it doesn't help anyone to just say "Well, that's their problem if they can't deal with it". I'm not saying you've said anything of the sort, but I'm trying to head it off from going in that direction just in case. If it creates a rift between two members, feeds the frustration, then it is both members problems.

aylissa, you have seen a lot of the personal pain of those affected by Tuberculosis. This is very heavy and no doubt has greatly affected you to the point where if someone is taking it lightly, you feel you have to say something.

TB will likely always have a fondness, despite how unsual it might be, for Tuberculosis. That's not going to change. He's also had that avatar for quite some time, and my suspicion as to the reason why it's never been brought up as an issue is because nobody ever noticed it-- I mean, closely. But by now, there's been a bit of a precedent set (i.e., the avatar has been allowed for so long it would be unfair to remove it now) and the moderators, in view of more recent events, are trying very hard to find the Golden Medium of moderating but not overmoderating.

TB, in future, it might be best (to avoid anything like this again) to discuss your concerns regarding a situation and certain members outside WP or via PM. I know it's not fair, but the reality is that both you AND aylissa are members of this forum and somehow have to "live" together with hopefully as little problems as possible. If you feel you need to talk about something that might get another member up in arms, it might be wiser to discuss it one-to-one with someone else. Like talk to the moderators, many of whom are always very welcoming to lend shoulders.

aylissa, like I said in the other thread, if you have an issue with someone's avatar or anything of the like, it's best not to post any requests in public but via PM to that member or to the mods. But no worries, I'm just restating that since this is kind of a continuation thread.

Let's just all try to get along. Live and let live. Peace and prosperity. And maybe TB and aylissa can go their separate ways for awhile so each can have a little time to think about more pleasant stuff so the moderators don't have to do anything like locking any threads for awhile.

~Sophist as Mod...

I personally hope nobody leaves because I think everyone's well-intentioned but just getting defensive. Taking a bit of a break might be a good idea. And also what Jetson mentioned of blocking the avatar.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

hybrid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2006, 4:29 pm

Nomaken wrote:
Why is the blood in his avatar so offensive, horrifying, or disturbing?

Bleeding from the mouth like that makes me imagine that he is probably injured internally in a possibly lethal way. But that is a big assumption. And there is nothing really graphic about that picture. All you see is a little fluids running down the sides of his mouth. No tissue damage. It could be ketchup for all you know.

Being distractingly disturbed by the mere sight of a bit of blood is rare. Tons of blood is more common, and tissue damage disturbs a lot of people.

Lol, look who's talking

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2006, 5:00 pm

My friend Akina was unable to join the site, but she wanted me to post this here:

"There are more disturbing pictures on educational television, even the ones we watch in school. To get upset over something so little is a waste of life, in which should be precious to someone like you, seeing you hate such a harmless picture as this. All you are doing is causing people to become irritated. I won't choose a side, but I would like that you don't get so upset over such an image that is actually not as bad as you think. Tuberculosis is a disease, and even though blood isn't the greatest, it's a lot better than nudity and it isn't that bad. I really don't want to sound rude, but this drove me crazy X.X" oiii, hopefully this will end soon."

She also says that we should just drop the subject and that we should make an agreement about not discussing this anymore.

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Jan 2006, 5:09 pm

I don't see why you don't just change your avatar. It's not that big of an imposition. I know its your right to have it, but you've had bloodless avatars before, and alyssa seems to be upset.

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2006, 5:11 pm

I just don't feel like changing it, because I like it. But if people keep whining about it, I'll probably just leave because then everyone will shut up.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 6:01 pm

I agree with your friend, TB :) and everyone should just drop the subject and move on and be happy.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 6:11 pm

TB_Samurai wrote-
Thank you, Nomaken. Your avatar may be offensive to some because it's kinda freaky looking, but no one complains about that, and you've had it for a long time.

Are you kidding? Nomaken's is worse than yours! I have jokingly complained about it a couple of times but had no response. (I didn't really expect it to change, anyway. Like someone is really going to say,"Oh, I'm sorrry. I didn't know that my avatar would bother anyone. I'll change it then.") (That'll be the day!) Now that the image isn't moving and eating someone's head, I don't feel so sick. I do think that the blood is disturbing and if that's O.K. then how far can we go with graphic stuff? Should we try and find out? (Please don't rant about me, I mean you no disrespect.)

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 6:14 pm

Cade wrote:
*sigh*

1 - a graphic image is called graphic for a reason. Saying things like "he doesn't post much," "we'd have to censor the default avatars too," "go get Foxfire," or "it's no worse than kids' TV" are all fallacious positions. It remains what it is, regardless to what B.S. you smear on it. Psychologically, it's well known that graphic images effect the mind is more immediate, more distressing and more intense ways than graphic words. This should be considered more the case with people who are psychologically vulnerable (including kids and teens, who are allowed to participate here) or visually domiant thinkers (as many Aspies and autistics are). This has nothing to do with being "PC" beause it is not about about morality, but about the possibility of causing someone distress on a psychological level.

I agree with you wholeheartedly and am even devising a more neutral website for people with Asperger's syndrome who rather avoid the risk of being offended, disgusted, or outright disturbed. For those of you who know HTML, I've included the document markup! :D
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "ISO/IEC 15445:2000//DTD HTML//EN">
<html lang="en-US">
    <head>
        <title>Nonoffensive Webpage</title>
    </head>
</html>

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 6:19 pm

I agree trolling threads should not be allowed.

But I don't think anyone should have to change their avatar because of 1 person being annoyed by it.

Quote:
Lol, look who's talking

Word G.

Nomakens avatar is the stupidest avatar i've ever seen. That image should be banned in 78 countries.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 6:43 pm

note to self;

gum disease imminent.
make dental appointment pronto.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 6:45 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
Nomakens avatar is the stupidest avatar i've ever seen. That image should be banned in 78 countries.

I don't think it's stupid. Gruesomely mesmerizing might be more accurate though... 8O :lol: 8O :lol: 8O :lol:

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 6:48 pm

Nomaken's avatar used to creep me out, but I gradually got used to it.

SB2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 7:38 pm

did i miss anything good?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2006, 7:50 pm

Sean wrote:
Nomaken's avatar used to creep me out, but I gradually got used to it.

It doesn't gross me out or anything, I just don't like it. It has two anime people on it that look like they're about to kiss, 2 things in my opinion that are stupid.