Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MajorTom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Sep 2009, 3:47 pm

Anyone else play chess? I just love chess right now.

Decorequiem
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Sep 2009, 10:49 am

I dabbled in it during lunch breaks in high school and find myself dabbling in it on lunch breaks at work again, after several years of just not playing. I can't say I'm very good at it though, even if I don't make any obvious mistakes in my moves I simply can't foresee multilple moves in advance like I feel my co-workers do. So frequently I set up a good initial strategy and then everything just falls apart.

MajorTom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2009, 5:51 am

Decorequiem wrote:
I dabbled in it during lunch breaks in high school and find myself dabbling in it on lunch breaks at work again, after several years of just not playing. I can't say I'm very good at it though, even if I don't make any obvious mistakes in my moves I simply can't foresee multilple moves in advance like I feel my co-workers do. So frequently I set up a good initial strategy and then everything just falls apart.

Yeah, if you keep playing it you'll start to find yourself seeing a few moves ahead. I think it's worth it, chess is definitely a great hobby to have. It's the sport for people that don't really do sports. I used to play computer games, but I've just sold them all and replaced them with chess. There are some great sites if anyone's interested:

www.chess.com - online chess, articles and chess forum
www.chessgames.com -a large games database with biographies of the players
www.freechess.org - a good free chess server
www.chessbase.com - chess news site

Those websites are definitely worth a look. If you get serious about improving your game there are some great books available, but they're all quite expensive, so it would be best to check your local library before buying any.

luvmycutebaby
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2009, 2:24 pm

I got really into playing it on my computer in college and I even asked for a chess board for Christmas one year and got a really nice one. Wish I could find some real life people who like to play. I don't even think I've ever used the board. :(

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2009, 3:35 pm

I play occasionally when someone challenges me, once I observed a few matches I learnt how to play and since then I always sort of find a way of winning, to be fair no one particularly good has ever asked me for a game because in my school there are only about 1200 people so you are just unlikely to find anyone who is good.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 3:45 pm

I love it. It comes and goes as a major obsession of mine.

MajorTom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2009, 2:32 pm

luvmycutebaby wrote:
Wish I could find some real life people who like to play. I don't even think I've ever used the board. :(

You could join a chess club? I've only recently joined one and I've met lots of really nice people to play against. As for the chess board, I sometimes use mine to play through the games of grandmasters, though my most expensive set I just use as an ornament to impress visiting relatives.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 9:32 pm

Im just learning it for the first time in my life. My brother was the captain of the Chess Club when he was in junior high... though he hasnt played it for many years. I am not very logical in my thoughts so I dont think I will be a chess champion but it looks like fun. I had a really poor attention span when I was younger so I couldnt learn it, I just got bored.

Taking a break.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2009, 9:44 pm

luvmycutebaby wrote:
I got really into playing it on my computer in college and I even asked for a chess board for Christmas one year and got a really nice one. Wish I could find some real life people who like to play. I don't even think I've ever used the board. :(

If you gained a good knowledge of chess, schools & youth organizations (Boys & Girls Club, YMCA, etc..) could use adult volunteers. It's a way to make a positive difference and sharpen yor skills. Kids can be challenging, especially AS ones.

goybandrocks
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Sep 2009, 7:40 pm

I'm starting to learn.

TT1660
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2023, 11:45 am

I play every now and then on Chess.com. Old thread I know. Probably average a few games a week. Only low 1000s rating wise. So I wouldn't be much of a challenge to most here.

Some of my favourite openings are e3/Ke2, and f3/g4 as white. It's pleasant when the oppponent responds with e6/ke7. But I have only heard of this happening once between GMs, when results didn't matter.