Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 7:39 am

I had lived my first 17 years of my life in Texas, particularly in the outlying areas of Dallas county. I know that is northern Texas, but it is in the south none the less. For all those 17 years, I had never heard any racist attitudes outside of TV or history textbooks. However, when I moved to Minnesota, first in Saint Paul and now I'm on the Minneapolis side, back in 2003... well in these 6 years I have heard more racist attitudes and remarks in person than I have ever heard on TV or in history books... WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH THAT?!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 7:49 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I had lived my first 17 years of my life in Texas, particularly in the outlying areas of Dallas county. I know that is northern Texas, but it is in the south none the less. For all those 17 years, I had never heard any racist attitudes outside of TV or history textbooks. However, when I moved to Minnesota, first in Saint Paul and now I'm on the Minneapolis side, back in 2003... well in these 6 years I have heard more racist attitudes and remarks in person than I have ever heard on TV or in history books... WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH THAT?!

Visit Boston sometime.

ruveyn

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 8:11 am

ruveyn wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Visit Boston sometime.

ruveyn

I think I read you saying something about Boston in another thread. ... I'd probably want to shave my beard before I ever go there, it is bad enough here.

Sometimes when I am stared at on buses or in public, I would like to go right up to one of these people and say,

"Be very afraid of people with beards, we're all Romulans!! ! Boo!"

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 10:45 am

All types of -ism are bad, k? <.<

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 12:10 pm

phil777 wrote:

Your criticism would be valid for generally all of the words ending in -ism, like communism, capitalism, consumerism, evolutionism, atheism, etc...

But I can find no fault with electromagnetism, as it is quite necessary for life to exist and atoms to hold together.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 12:23 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I think I read you saying something about Boston in another thread. ... I'd probably want to shave my beard before I ever go there, it is bad enough here.

Sometimes when I am stared at on buses or in public, I would like to go right up to one of these people and say,

People do seem to respond strangely to beards. I wonder why this is?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 12:28 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
phil777 wrote:

Your criticism would be valid for generally all of the words ending in -ism, like communism, capitalism, consumerism, evolutionism, atheism, etc...

But I can find no fault with electromagnetism, as it is quite necessary for life to exist and atoms to hold together.

I won't argue about the utility of electromagnetism or that of a syllogism, or synergism, or pugilism, or pointillism, or infantilism, or mercantilism, or botulism, or somnambulism, or dualism, or verbalism, or herbalism, or legalism, or mongolism, or formalism, or diabolism, animalism, or thromboembolism, or surrealism, journalism, or paternalism, or denominationalism, and so forth and so on.

But electromagnetism does not hold atoms together. That's another force.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 12:32 pm

Orwell wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

People do seem to respond strangely to beards. I wonder why this is?

IDK, fear of Arabs, Iranians and the like, or hatred of Jewish people who don't shave. Possibly the notion that we have evolved razors out of our bums so that we no longer have to look like primitives, of whom all people who live primitive lifestyles or otherwise don't have money are absolutely 1000% certain to be criminals. IDK though.

Could even be a fear of Willie Nelson.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 12:36 pm

Sand wrote:

Electromagnetism holds the electrons and the protons, the essential part of all atoms such as hydrogen-1, together.

The strong and weak forces hold the nucleus together.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 12:42 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:

Electromagnetism holds the electrons and the protons, the essential part of all atoms such as hydrogen-1, together.

And they separate every time an ion is created which not only doesn't destroy the world but it is the basis for all chemistry.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 1:14 pm

I've lived in NY my whole life, all over the state. I've noticed that the places with the most racial diversity seem to have less in the way of racism. The places out in the sticks seem to be loaded with it. I don't know if this applies to the rest of the country or not. It makes sense though because people are generally afraid of what they do not know. I think we can all agree that there is still racism all over the country. It just appears in different ways. Down in the south, I think they're all just out in the open about it, whereas in the north, people try to hide it. A neighbor of mine said she wouldn't take her kids to a certain park because of all the "city kids." Down south I think they would just say "black people." Either way it pretty much sucks.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 3:02 pm

ok so i was referring to -ism's mostly as ideologies. <.<

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 5:11 pm

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:

And they separate every time an ion is created which not only doesn't destroy the world but it is the basis for all chemistry.

An ion can be either total or partial loss of the electrons, or in the case of the alkali and alkaline metal it would be the donorship of their valence electrons to other ions which have more electronegativity than ionization potential. The thing about the electromagnetic force is that all chemistry of life revolves around it. The strong and weak forces hold together the nucleus, but if there were no electromagnetic force their would be no such things as ions... there would be no attraction based on charge differences. There would be no chemistry other than nuclear chemistry.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 5:13 pm

phil777 wrote:
ok so i was referring to -ism's mostly as ideologies. <.<

That is mostly what the suffix refers to.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 5:50 pm

The modern suburbs are highly segregated, but more specifically by socio-economic stratum than by race or ethnicity. Home developers put in neighborhoods with houses looking practically identical, with some minor variation depending on what the buyer is willing to pay for. But, once your are in, your lower-middle-class status is solidified. There is no escape.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 6:43 pm

pandabear wrote:
The modern suburbs are highly segregated, but more specifically by socio-economic stratum than by race or ethnicity. Home developers put in neighborhoods with houses looking practically identical, with some minor variation depending on what the buyer is willing to pay for. But, once your are in, your lower-middle-class status is solidified. There is no escape.

Throughout the course of my life, I have lived in a house, 5 apartments, two trailers, and once in a motel for a few months. The neighbors have been a fairly random mix when it comes to outward appearance, but it's not really their income that determines whether they have bias for or against people based on outward appearance. People with high incomes can be nice or business-nice, but I have not known wealth to absolve this... rather it usually adds, in addition to racism, a kind of superiority complex which would be like a patrician attitude in regard to the proletarians and plebeians who are all, without a doubt, desperate and evil criminals.