tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 8:44 am

And here I thought the wrestler The Undertaker was in trouble :P

Seriously, though, I can't see the appeal of that kind of diving. You'd have to be seriously bored or really bonkers to want to try it...

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:23 am

Seems odd to me that people would do this, it's not something that I understand.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 11:23 am

It does at first seem like a no brainer, but when you think of it if the people doing it are jumping into deep water from a reasonable height and are good divers / swimmers then they could do it. But I would not dream of ever doing it myself.

I worry that young people who do not know what they are doing might try it and get it badly wrong, as the lifeboat man (Ray Barton) said "get it wrong and you end up with a tombstone".

I have to admire the men of the RNLI, they are not paid and they are brave and skilled men who are in the same class as the pararescue man Jack Brehm. I have read his book "That others might live" and he was some very good things to say about what a hero is. Jack commented that a "normal" firefighter who enters a burning house to rescue a goldfish is more than a hero than a sports star who does well at his sport.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 1:45 pm

In the US, "tombstoning" is often what is called making etches of the tombstones using paper and a pencil. I was shocked to find people jumping off cliffs in the UK and calling it that!

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 1:52 pm

This wasn't called anything other than a double dare, back in the day when I used to do it. Nowadays, they give it a cool name, and call it an extreme sport. Why am I always twenty years too late to be cool? :roll:

05 Sep 2009, 2:07 pm

I once jumped off a cliff into a river.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:24 pm

I just don't see the point of it. There's plenty of sports in the UK that could give you the adrenaline rush without killing yourself! Isn't it like basic instinct NOT to jump off high stuff? It's becoming a serious problem for the RNLI.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 4:30 pm

Trainspotting, for instance...;)

There's a place in Mexico where they've done this for years...same result.

But then, there's people who jump out of perfectly good airplanes....;)

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 8:58 pm

Yeah when I was a kid we just called it look at the dumb drunk. 8O