TUSCOLA- 10yr old expert on vacuum cleaners - Undiagnosed ??

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2009, 6:50 am

No mention of Asperger's in the story.
I could be wrong but this is so stereotypical it very likely.
Maybe someone should suggest this to him and his parents?

-----------------

TUSCOLA, IL--Most little boys collect things like baseball cards or hot wheels.

But not the 10-year old xxxxx.

He has a thing for vacuum cleaners.

He 's been collecting them since he was three years old.

While other kids dream of Disney World, xxxxx's favorite vacation destination is the Hoover Museum.

"I take them apart and see if there's anything wrong with them," said xxxxx.

And the 10 year old is such an expert on vacuums that he can tell which model is running by its sound.

xxxxx hopes to work in a vacuum shop when he grows up, if not sooner.

Reported by: Scot England/WAND TV

Unique hobby for a 10 year old boy

Last edited by flamingshorts on 06 Sep 2009, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 8:04 am

I'd be surprised if nobody has suggested it yet, but I don't see what harm it could do. It does seem incredibly stereotypical.

MNJWP
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2009, 9:03 am

I thought of that right away. He reminded me of, well...me as a kid, only my obsession was World War 2. I could tell you the most obscure information about the war by the age of 6. I carry that one with me today.

There is a video of him too, and its pretty incredible how well spoken he is. He reminds me of my son a lot.

06 Sep 2009, 9:28 am

He has to have other traits besides that. If he doesn't, then he just happens to have that trait. I found it odd the OP would X out his name but yet his name is in the article.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2009, 9:38 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
He has to have other traits besides that. If he doesn't, then he just happens to have that trait. I found it odd the OP would X out his name but yet his name is in the article.

I realised it might not be correct to discuss this due to his age. Publically discussing a 10yr old isnt perfect. Perhaps the thread should be deleted or moved to the Members area. What do people here think?

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 9:57 am

Depends what the mods think.

My son can tell you all sorts of specific things in minute detail... for example, today after church he absolutely gobsmacked a couple of old ladies (not literally) by informing them how he could tell that Oliver Cromwell had been in the area by the condition of our Saxon church. He then walked round it, showing them where the cromwellian soldiers had done the damage, then pointed out where the recividist Catholics had later on tried to put their secret marks in the area. It was a fascinating, and incredibly informative lecture from a thirteen year old. Since we got back, I've been online checking his resources, and yes... he's spot on.

That's just one of his interests (he's massively into history, but also human biology, astronomy, and sci fi.) I'm not sure if a near photographic memory and a high IQ should mean you're asperger's or not. His diagnoses isn't based on just that... but you have to admit, when our kids get going, they can be pretty cool.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 11:14 am

flamingshorts wrote:
No mention of Asperger's in the story.
I could be wrong but this is so stereotypical it very likely.
Maybe someone should suggest this to him and his parents?

The kid has an unusual hobby. Let him be.

ruveyn

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 1:34 pm

I'm pretty sure I saw this kid on Leno's Tonight Show over a year ago and he was ten then. I thought the same thing at the time, but I must say, he was very gregarious and talkative with Jay. Knew his vacuums like Jay knows cars.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2009, 3:00 pm

Video from youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXnrXw1WvvA

I think he's great...

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2009, 6:46 pm

Hello Captain Obvious that kid a walking stereotype Aspie. Seen this report on Attack of the Show. Lol'd at the wedding skit.