Twilight books banned from primary schools

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 8:28 pm

i don't see why a primary school (k-5) library would have any of Stephanie Meyer's books anyway, especially because most kids under the 4th grade would need help reading a book that thick....then again, i picked up JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy in the 4th grade and read them cover to cover in under 2 weeks, but i'm a bookworm, always have been always will be...

removing the books from Jr. High libraries that already have them is more than just a little overboard, seriously. in my school district we had kids who were no longer virgins in the 7th and 8th grades so reading a book that skims over those scenes shouldn't be a problem! 8O plus, if a kid at that age doesn't know the difference between fiction/fantasy and reality, they should probably get their head checked.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 10:13 pm

THese books are highly popular from 5th grade up, mostly with girls.

My son wouldn't be caught dead reading the series, because to him its for girls.

There are sexual situations inappropriate for very young ones.

The reading level is not difficult; the lexile is suitable for many 5th graders (you can actually find the rating online). Basically, not that well written, no complicated language or themes.

I find it amusing if anyone is objecting on religious grounds, given that the author is a conservative Mormon.

I don't think books should ever be banned from a library, but parents should know what their kids are reading - or are considering reading.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 3:49 pm

I think that one reason why some people object to the Twilight series for religious reasons is because they don't like Mormons at all. The Mormon church is often called a cult by some Christians. Personally, I thought the Twilight series was badly written, but I'm against censorship. If it gets kids to read just as the Harry Potter series did, then I'm all for those books.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 12:12 pm

LostAlien wrote:
I have read the Twilight series. I don't think it's suitable for anyone under the age of 14. There are sexual scenes in the book. I do think that if I had children that I would tell them that the book is too old for them (if they were under 14). It's good that they were taken out of the junior section, it doesn't say that they are not in the older section.

The Harry Potter series is a totally different issue. The closest that this series gets to sex is kissing, which I think that all logical people can agree that most children have already seen someone kiss someone else, so can read about it. There is death and murder in the Harry Potter series, if the child watches the news, then logically they should be allowed read Harry Potter.

I agree 100%. Those kids are way too young to be reading about all the sex in the Twilight series (especially in the fourth book!). I haven't actually read them myself, but my mom has them all and I've heard every last detail from her.

And I also agree it was stupid for the schools to ban Harry Potter. My middle school actually liked it so much, they threw a Harry Potter party, which was awesome.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 1:40 pm

pensieve wrote:
I support this motion. The less people that read Twilight the better. It's an awful series.

I feel the same way. Last thing we need are more emo kids.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2009, 8:40 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
pensieve wrote:
I support this motion. The less people that read Twilight the better. It's an awful series.

I feel the same way. Last thing we need are more emo kids.

...and Mary Sues. :lol:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 8:17 pm

The Twilight books are overrated anyway.

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2009, 9:10 pm

Its wrong if was other pushing their religious belifes on others but maybe then the kids will actually read books we will still be reading in 20 years.I am sick of hearing about twilight.Poor bram stoker and all other pieces of vampire fiction are rolling around in their grave.

Not_a_hero
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2009, 2:19 am

Reminds me of the time that the somebody from the PTA or something wanted Enders game pulled from the shelves. The library teacher made a point of telling people that you had to ask for it at the front desk........it became one of the most checked out books in school history. Which was evidenced by the fact that its also one of the most beat up books the library still uses. The difference here being that Enders game is a fairly good book that is a cult hit in some circles and that twilight is about a mary sue who meets a vampire and goes off on a miniature little cliche romeo and juliet style playwright while raping the concept of literature and conceiving a strange bastard child of different books that just barely escape my memory.......

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 5:10 pm

This kinda reminds me of how there was a ban on Harry Potter books, as they're were seen as being satanic or witch-craft in some way..Honestly, there are so many books out there that a small minority is always going to raise an uproar about still, I'm glad that all books have not been banned..

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 9:15 am

ProfessorX wrote:
This kinda reminds me of how there was a ban on Harry Potter books, as they're were seen as being satanic or witch-craft in some way..Honestly, there are so many books out there that a small minority is always going to raise an uproar about still, I'm glad that all books have not been banned..

Yes, except there are various differences between the Harry Potter and Twilight books.

The Twilight books are more for an older audience which makes their bans from the elementary school more reasonable in this regard (considering all the indications of attempted rape and the like).

Harry Potter's ban based on satanic and witch craft indication is just plain silly. :P

If such were the case, I would want them to ban the Narnia books.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 11:11 am

buryuntime wrote:
This is great news!

I wouldn't want any child, well, anyone for that matter to be exposed to those books. They're terrible and offer nothing but bad ideas for teenage girls.

Agreed. Terrible ideas like not having pre-marital sex, or trying to break off relationships you consider unhealthy. (The only reason they didn't break it off was because it was nigh impossible too, they were that linked. Lesson: extreme depression can make you want to commit suicide.)

Besides, it was only Breaking Dawn that had the 'sexy scenes' in.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2009, 1:16 pm

I agree with this. Twilight paints a false image of what vampires really are. Glittering in sunlight? Proposterous.

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2009, 6:45 pm

Exactly now teenage girls are gonna see van helsing and the belmont clan of castlevania fame as cold blooded murders of their misunderstood boyfriend and not protecting humanity from hundrend years of darkness and from terrorizing poor romaninan villagers.Now vlad the impaler is viewed as a hollywood pretty boy.Just kidding LOL.