Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 2:19 am

Okay, so i was reading up on the whole "speech delay / no speech delay" thing in regards to Classic Autism / Aspergers... And it got me thinking about this stuff. So, i thought it might be interesting to hear what your first words were, in what context, and whether it was "on time" or delayed.. I'm sure some people here have interesting first words.. Mine were kind of strange. My first words, according to my parents, happened one day at my grandmother's house. Someone dropped a glass in the kitchen, and my grandmother walked it and said "lordy, lordy, lordy!"(that's one of those things she says in that kind of situation), and i repeated "lordy lordy lordy!"(echolalia maybe? lol) Before that i babbled nonsense sounds, but those were my first real words(on time, no delay).

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 2:27 am

My first word was "light" but I don't know the context. I said it when I was 10 months old, which I think is a little earlier than usual.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 2:35 am

Sati wrote:
My first word was "light" but I don't know the context. I said it when I was 10 months old, which I think is a little earlier than usual.

Me too!

My mother told me that my father was trying to change a light bulb and I pointed up and said "goddamn 'ight" :D

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 2:43 am

My first word was car. Cars were my first obsession.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 3:16 am

Ruh Roh

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 8:14 am

Just the usual mama/dada stuff. I was 9 months old, thing is my first word was early but sentences longer than 2/3 words didn't appear until the age of 5/6.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 8:44 am

Beats the hell out of me.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 10:14 am

My first word was very early - 5 months. I said "up" when my mom had put me down for a nap because I didn't want to sleep. No babbling nonsense like most babies, I used an actual word in the correct context. I think that's pretty neat :P

Mom says I was speaking in sentences by 1 year. I remember as a toddler listening to TV and people talking and reading books to pick up new words, figure out what they meant by the context and then use them correctly in a sentence to my mom. Always surprised the hell out of her and she'd ask me how I'd learned that word. I enjoyed shocking her with my vocabulary :P

I've always been interested in languages!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 10:48 am

"'Eyes not going to die?'" When I was 4 1/2 or so.

I didn't bother talking before then, for some reason or another.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 11:43 am

my first word that anyone heard was "no" (as far as my mother could remember (she is not alive anymore so she can no longer remember it)).

that is what i was told was my first word, and i was allegedly 3.x years old.

i somewhat remember the time before i spoke to any other person.

i remember repeating words i heard (when no one could see or hear me) when i was younger than 3.x.

i think i did not want to say words to people because i knew they were waiting with baited breath for me to talk.

i never "babbled" as a baby. i can not remember why because i can not remember when i was a baby of that age.

as regards my first word, my mother said i was pointing at something i wanted, and she chose the wrong thing, and i said "no....that" and pointed.

i can not remember the incident, so i can not verify, as a witness, it's transpiration.

i do not care if that was not the first word i spoke. it is the one i was told i said by the first person to hear me talk.

i know i said many words privately when i was alone before any curious ears were indoctrinated to them.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 5:01 pm

Actually, I think it may have been 6 months for me.... I forget the story... yeah 6 sounds right I think. :lol:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 5:50 pm

Ich fergessen...;)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 7:26 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
My first word was very early - 5 months. I said "up" when my mom had put me down for a nap because I didn't want to sleep. No babbling nonsense like most babies, I used an actual word in the correct context. I think that's pretty neat :P

Is this direct memory, or is it an account of your First Word told to you by another person?

ruveyn

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 7:29 pm

I also said "Light", sometime in my first January. I'd have been about seven months old.

Then I didn't say a word till I was three and a half... My mum pointed out the new moon, and I said, "did Daddy buy it?"

After that I would never stop prattling to my immediate family, and used a very wide vocabulary, but many people still thought I was dumb for ages, because I'd revert to silence in the presence of "strangers." (Like teachers, doctors, neighbours, visiting relatives, etc.) My Dad finally got me over my phobia of public speaking by teaching me poems to recite, giving me newspapers to read aloud. I remember before I started at school, standing on the kitchen table reading an article about Egyptian politics to a room full of gobsmacked friends of my Dad. One guy (who I remember vividly, he had blond seventies hair, and a red seventies beard, with nicotine stained fingers and a roll up dangling from his lip) said, "isn't she just parroting? She can't know what delta means?" I said, "delta is a letter in the Greek alphabet that starts from a narrowish point at the top and goes wider, it's used metaphorically to describe river mouths, because they look somewhat alike from a birds eye view."

I remember a lot of stamping of feet, and laughter, and hairy blokes slapping my Dad on the back.

Recently I asked my Dad about this, and he tells me I was either a week short of five, or a week after five... he can't remember. I started school a week or two later. Apparently after that he and my Mum had a discussion... some of the neighbours wanted to come and watch me "perform", and my Mum was adamant this would be bad for me, and put a stop to it. I think my Dad would have done too... but I do know he was painfully proud of me, having worried there was something wrong with me for years.

It may explain why he's so reluctant even yet to accept my auty diagnoses.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 9:24 pm

I'm pretty sure it was: waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

;)

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2009, 11:39 pm

ruveyn wrote:
mitharatowen wrote:

Is this direct memory, or is it an account of your First Word told to you by another person?

ruveyn

It's what my mom told me.