'Princess' and other tiresome names
Love 'em! 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
Hate 'em! 85%  85%  [ 58 ]
Total votes : 68

ttqs84
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2009, 12:29 am

how many of you despise being called 'princess' or any other titles relating to royalty, affection, or beauty?

personally, they make me cringe! i hate the word 'princess' because it just doesn't describe me at all. princesses associates with being spoiled, selfish, rich, dependent, high-maintenance, ignorant, and stuck-up. i see little girls playing 'princess' dress-ups, dolls, and tea parties. only to believe in these fairy-tale fantasies that someday their prince will come and save them, leading them to think they're perfect, and that they get everything they want. what's up with that? where are the future women leaders? inventors? or all of those women who can handle the jobs as men do. seriously, girls need to wake up and stop listening or watching the likes of Spear Britney, Lady Tata, Lindsay Lowc**t, The Hills, Gossip Girl, Disney Princesses or any of that s#!t!

i'd rather get credit or compliments for my mind & work rather than my looks or getting these 'cutesy' names.

what do you think? and please explain.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 12:50 am

My aunt calls me her princess :D

ttqs84 wrote:
i see little girls playing 'princess' dress-ups, dolls, and tea parties.

I still do these things and love it!

ttqs84 wrote:
princesses associates with being spoiled, selfish, rich, dependent, high-maintenance, ignorant, and stuck-up.

I've been called most of those things before, perhaps they are true about me.

I also call my cat Miso my little princess.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 1:37 am

Hmm... no one has never called me princess... might be 'cause I'm a guy. :lol:
If someone uses any nickname for me, it's usually Varg (Wolf). Go figure ehh? ^^

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 2:18 am

I'm currently playing through "Super Princess Peach" on my Nintendo DSi. It's a solid Mario side-scroller except the usual roles are reversed since you play as the princess rescuing Mario/Luigi.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 4:14 am

Someone I was with would address me or refer to me using feminine names (but not as bad as princess). For instance, they would frequently refer to me as woman (usually in the sentence "For gawd's sake woman!"). In the end, I managed to get them to substitute that one and call me man. I think they were afraid of how I reacted to the other version. I am not a feminine person and found such names, even when used affectionately, inappropriate for various reasons.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 4:59 am

Someone I was really into referred to me as 'precious' in a letter and it made me cringe because all I could think of was Gollum. :lol:

apparently all just "talk"- :(

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 5:27 am

I've heard the word "princess" used in a derogatory fashion to address someone, mostly because they were bossy and spoilt (my ex BF's sister used to address her younger sister as "princess" all the time for those reasons).

I prefer "Madame" for myself :P.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 6:27 am

Yes a princess means someone who expects to be waited on.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 8:22 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Yes a princess means someone who expects to be waited on.

well, at least it warns people straight off! :D

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 11:20 am

Hmm... apperently I'm a girls "bby"... Don't really know what that means, exept that I'm "special". (Stating the obvious :lol:)
She's cute though, so I don't mind. :D

(She's much cuter than that, but I don't have any photo of her, just this pic I made. :?)

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 1:15 pm

To me these names usually feel slightly derogatory for some reason. Somebody called me "Sunshine" the other day...and I couldn't help but feel like maybe he was being slightly insulting.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 2:29 pm

I never liked being called cutesy names either, until I started being called ma'am 8O . Most people mean no harm and are just trying to be friendly, but personally, I think I'd prefer even a "hey you."

JessicaDayla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2009, 5:18 pm

Just call me Jess, or Jessica... Dayla is alright too, but I prefer Jess. Call me any cutesy name, and I'll have your head on a platter. I am not your princess, I am a woman who likes to do her own thing, treat me as such.

ttqs84
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2009, 5:51 pm

^^^i seconded that notion!
but why are girls so fascinated with the whole 'princess' s#!t? maybe it's a way for society to brainwash them into becoming weak, submissive, spoiled, dependent, and mean. what happened to our future women leaders, scientists, positive role-models, etc?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 6:18 pm

number5 wrote:
I never liked being called cutesy names either, until I started being called ma'am 8O . Most people mean no harm and are just trying to be friendly, but personally, I think I'd prefer even a "hey you."

OMG! I understand the 'Ma'am' cause I know what I meant when I called someone ma'am and I was just sure THEY meant the SAME THING too! after awhile I embraced it even making my middle name Anneke so my initials were MAM.

now, I don't care - just don't startle me.

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 8:57 pm

ya, like don't get your panties all in a bunch just cause of a custsy name.
Maybe they don't know your real name or believe a cute term of endearment is appropriate.
Your not going to change it, so rather that get totally up-tight learn to accept it, blow it off, smile & nod.

Besides I am sure there are lots of other colorful nouns and adjectives that could be used in their place.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.