Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 2:25 pm

I called my mom about a hole in the hose and then she said what? I then told her words one by one There-Is-A-Hole-in-the-hose etc. I HATE stopping and speaking slowly it's so irritating!! !!

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 3:22 pm

I talk fast if:

A) I'm excited
B) I have a specific way/order I wanted to say something and I know the listener is going to try to say something before I'm finished
C) I'm narrating my thoughts outloud and I know no one really wants to hear but I can't stop....

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 3:32 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
I talk fast if:

A) I'm excited
B) I have a specific way/order I wanted to say something and I know the listener is going to try to say something before I'm finished
C) I'm narrating my thoughts outloud and I know no one really wants to hear but I can't stop....

This and:
D) I've had too much caffeine.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 3:50 pm

^ Oh yeah that too :lol:

E: if my blood sugar is low and I'm shaky :P

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 4:37 pm

I used to talk too fast and mumble and not project my voice. That was one of the surprising things that antidepressants changed for me. Now that I have a son who talks too fast and mumbles and doesn't project his voice,I know why everyone was so frustrated with me. Once someone asked someone else what I had said and he said "I don't even bother to listen anymore." :oops: My son gets mad at me but I'm not misunderstanding him on purpose. It won't kill you to compromise Zelda Psychology. It's all part of the growing process. :)

devey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2009, 4:48 pm

I usually talk too fast especially when I'm nervous. I start to lisp and stutter if I go on for too long as words get mixed together through talking too fast. i try to deal with it by just taking a breath and calming down, and then trying to listen to the sound of my voice.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 6:17 pm

Aimless wrote:
I used to talk too fast and mumble and not project my voice. That was one of the surprising things that antidepressants changed for me. Now that I have a son who talks too fast and mumbles and doesn't project his voice,I know why everyone was so frustrated with me. Once someone asked someone else what I had said and he said "I don't even bother to listen anymore." :oops: My son gets mad at me but I'm not misunderstanding him on purpose. It won't kill you to compromise Zelda Psychology. It's all part of the growing process. :)

Thanks I guess I do need to grow with alot of the things I do. :-) Of course I don't want to be questioning every little thing I say/do either. :-)

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 7:40 pm

When I am nervous or manic I talk so fast that no one can keep up with me and tells me to slow down and also tells me that I jump around in my subjects. While in mania, its called "pressure of speech." I also do the other extreme, "thought blocking" triggered by anxiety, pressure, or severe depression even though its usually associated with schizophrenia. My thought processes slow down to when they totally stop, sometimes this can include my movements but its not as extreme as catatonia like I used to.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 8:29 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:

Quote:
Thanks I guess I do need to grow with alot of the things I do. Smile Of course I don't want to be questioning every little thing I say/do either. Smile

You're right,we are only human after all (or are we?). I just had the experience of seeing it from both sides. Believe me, slow down ,stop mumbling and speak up were the response to almost everything I said at one time.This continued until I was in my mid 30's.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

17 Sep 2009, 11:26 pm

Occassionally in certain situations.
One situation would be if I was trying to say something but people kept on interrupting me, then when they were all finished interrupting I would say it really fast to make sure that I didn't take too long and get interrupted again.
Another situation I talk fast in is if I have a lot to say about something. I don't do it on purpose, it's like my mouth is trying to keep up with my thoughts.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2009, 7:40 am

yes, frequently, esp w favourite subjects; i have so much to say.

my speech can be an avalance.

im dyslexic, and thought firebird quoted 'pleasure of speech', not 'pressure of speech'. pleasure of speech is true for me; i adore words.

i (cough) read dictionaries for enjoyment. words are beautiful- i have synesthesia; which is doubtless contribtary. some words sound/smeel/feel -oh- joyous, make me squeal in delight when i discover them..

read 200 year old welsh dictionary this morning for half an huor- time well spent, frankly.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 2:45 pm

I love words too misslottie. I liked finding out that berserk came from bear-shirt which used to be worn inside out to get riled up for battle. Every word is a puzzle to be deciphered. I have Barnhart's Concise Dictionary of Etymology but I find it doesn't dig deep enough for me. I want to know the historical and social background of a word. Do you have any book suggestions? I'm no expert.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 3:32 pm

I've had people tell me to slow down when speaking a lot of times before so I'd say yes. :lol: But it's annoying when I'm told to speak more slowly.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 4:49 pm

I always speak quickly. But then again, I do everything quickly. I speak quickly, type quickly, walk quickly, drive quickly, etc. I hate slowing down for anything or even anyone. It's one of my biggest pet-peeves.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 5:07 pm

Yes, I talk incredbly fast. It's because I have so many thoughts going through my head that I feel I need to get them out all at once, as quickly as possible. It's even worse when I'm talking about a special interest. I get so excited and bubbly about talking to somebody about my special interest that I speed up and don't slow down until my monologue is over.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 5:24 pm

I'm the opposite, I speak pretty slowly.