Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jackdumpster
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Sep 2009, 2:21 pm

I'm planning to get my GED this spring, you guys think I should go for it? What options will this open me up to? Should I go to adult education classes (free), will they help me study and stuff?

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2009, 4:41 pm

I got my GED last spring (it took me about 3 months) and I am currently attending college.

You should definitely attend the adult education classes and learn the skills that are necessary pass the GED test.

It's not very difficult to pass the GED test at all! (at least, it wasn't for me) If I were you, I would see about starting the process as soon as possible so that you can go to college and have a job on the side.

Go for it!

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 8:06 pm

I wish I had done that. Go for it!

DirkWillems
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2009, 10:44 pm

Definitely get it.

I had to find this out the hard way. Taking the GED and earning a score of 3100+ qualifies you for the Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship. To the best of my recollection, to be awarded this scholarship the GED test center adminstrator/coordinator has to nominate you as a student who shows remarkable potential by an outstanding GED score. I would not rely on them to do the nomination without some sort of nudging involved. I scored around a 3200 or 3300 and qualified for the scholarship but no one bothered to tell me until I found out myself a year past the deadline.

To receive the award you must be nominated and awarded within a year of your test. If you find out a year too late like I did, you don't get crap.

It's $1500.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 10:40 pm

DirkWillems wrote:
Definitely get it.

I had to find this out the hard way. Taking the GED and earning a score of 3100+ qualifies you for the Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship. To the best of my recollection, to be awarded this scholarship the GED test center adminstrator/coordinator has to nominate you as a student who shows remarkable potential by an outstanding GED score. I would not rely on them to do the nomination without some sort of nudging involved. I scored around a 3200 or 3300 and qualified for the scholarship but no one bothered to tell me until I found out myself a year past the deadline.

To receive the award you must be nominated and awarded within a year of your test. If you find out a year too late like I did, you don't get crap.

It's $1500.

Do the requirements for this scholarship vary by state? I got this scholarship while in CA, but I never took the GED. It paid for ~40% of my undergraduate tuition. 8)

DirkWillems
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2009, 4:28 pm

Stinkypuppy wrote:
DirkWillems wrote:
Definitely get it.

It's $1500.

Do the requirements for this scholarship vary by state? I got this scholarship while in CA, but I never took the GED. It paid for ~40% of my undergraduate tuition. 8)

They vary to a small degree. Most states I think if you graduate high school or complete a GED you are eligible but specifically if you have a GED you must be nominated by the testing center coordinator. The amount in most states is $1500.

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

01 Nov 2009, 8:55 pm

Yeah go after the GED. I took the test and passed it the first time.