Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 10:22 pm

What are your favorite AS-related books? Anything you've found to be particularly helpful, insightful, enjoyable, well-written, etc.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2009, 10:44 pm

Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships by Temple Grandin and Sean Barron.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 10:46 pm

My daughter handed me Born on a Blue Day and insisted I read it. She said I'd like the author. It took me a while to get around to it, but I did enjoy the book.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 11:33 pm

Countless ones....I also found Born on a Blue Day particularly insightful, as well as Thinking in Pictures by Temple Grandin and the Nobody Nowhere series by Donna Williams.

As for AS resources, I'd recommend Just Give Him the Whale by Paula Kluth/Patrick Schwartz,which focuses on tapping into special interests as a motivating factor for Aspies.

On my bookshelf right now sits More Than Just Little Professors: Children with AS in their own words by Lisa Barrett-Mann. It's an amusing and lighthearted look into the interesting language abilities of those on the spectrum.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 11:39 pm

Atlas Shrugged!

LosFrida
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2009, 11:40 pm

Born On a Blue Day and Songs of the Gorilla Nation are my favorite memoirs. My favorite information book is Tony Attwood's Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2009, 11:46 pm

LosFrida wrote:
My favorite information book is Tony Attwood's Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome

Totally forgot about that one!

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Last edited by anneurysm on 22 Sep 2009, 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Sep 2009, 10:07 am

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, by Tony Attwood
(Excellent overview of AS - very informative.)

The Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships, by Temple Grandin & Sean Barron
(Rules for getting along in NT society, along with explanations of how the rules apply in different situations.)

Mozart and the Whale: An Asperger's Love Story, by Jerry & Mary Newport
(NOT the same as the movie - an in-depth look into an AS/AS relationship.)

Thinking in Pictures, Expanded Edition: My Life with Autism, by Temple Grandin
(Part bio, part reference. Very enjoyable.)

Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships, by Ashley Stanford
(The best feature of this book, is that the author goes through the DSM-IV criteria for AS & relates each item to how it might affect relationships. The emphasis is on acceptance & understanding. )

Asperger's From the Inside Out, by Michael John Carley
(Well-written bio/reference. Good tips for how & when to disclose.)

Ask and Tell: Self-Advocacy and Disclosure for People on the Autism Spectrum, by Ruth Elaine Hane, et. al.
(Everything you every wanted to know about how & when to disclose your AS.)

Send in the Idiots: Stories from the Other Side of Autism, by Kamran Nazeer
(Insightful look into the adult lives of former students of a school for autistic children.)

UnusualSuspect
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2009, 10:52 am

My favorite is Women from Another Planet? I've read a lot of others and enjoyed most of them, but when an individual writes about their own experience, it's often something that I can't really relate to. Women from Another Planet? is a collection of personal stories and discussions by women all along the spectrum.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2009, 7:59 am

It's never been proven that he was an aspie - and I'm normally sceptical about the practise of retrospectively diagnosing dead people - but I think Franz Kafka's three novels ("The Trial, "The Castle" and "America" are all books whom aspies could readily identify with. They all feature central characters who struggle to make sense of an alien world whose rules and conventions they lack an instinctive understanding of.

Of course, being works of fiction they're no use in terms of providing practical coping strategies, but they make for fascinating reading nontheless.

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 8:04 am

Constructing Autism: Majia Holmer Nadesan

Excellent historical account of autism research and heavily questions many of the current theoretical assumptions about autism and AS. Highly recommended.

'An ideal of total self-sufficiency. That secret smile may be the Buddha's but it is monstrous seen on a baby's face. To conquer craving is indeed to conquer pain, but humanity goes with it. That my autistic daughter wanted nothing was worst of all.' Park

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 8:05 am

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

ruveyn

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2009, 8:22 am

I don't like complete personal anecdotes or fiction:

High-functioning Individuals with Autism, is my favourite.

Sarafina7
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Sep 2009, 2:19 pm

"Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon