Autism misdiagnosed with Retardation

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 3:51 am

I can remember going to an autistic meeting, and since people say that HFA is so similiar to AS, I thought they were going to understand me, but yet they spoke slow, behaved, walked, and stared at me with a ret*d stare, and they looked like they were stoned and took a hundred drugs. Many of them were "HFA", but they behaved like brain-damaged people, all of my AS friends behave much better, they have better eye contact, intellect, dress like PEOPLE, do not have stoned eyes, smell good, correct walking, and speech. The aspies I know are 75% or more NT than autistic, they have their own apartment, (something a can hardly imagine happening to those with HFA) they are much more similiar to NT's those with autism, they could go for NT's except when it comes to advanced socialization. I can't believe they misdiagnose someone, how unproffesional, many people like HFA people because they are seen as brain-damaged ret*ds, but they do not like AS people, because they........... I DON'T KNOW WHY!! ! If HFA people are so HF, what about me? Also I have noticed that downs people and ret*d people share retad faces with those HFA people, they all look ret*d, they look like children in them 8O. Aspies have NT faces. Me and my aspie friends were so disapPointed when we arrived, we thought we were going to meet other species, but we were greeted by a HFA who looked like a fallen angel, her skirt was white, I couldn't see any clothes under there except a nearly invisible pant, filthy hair, stoned eyes, completely white skin, spoke to me in a childlike, monstrous, horrible voice, the only things missing was to throw some blood and dirt at the skirt, then she would surely be that of a fallen angel, I wonder why her parents allowed her to go out in a town like that! If they were autistic, they would be hated, but since not, they have to be ret*d, because people like those, like a HFA guy that goes at my school, but yet they do not like me, I have done them nothing. Parents love their downies and ret*ds, but not autistics. Do you think this is misdiagnosing galore=?!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 4:43 am

I'd take ret*d over being an ignorant jerk, thanks.

Supposedly not a person, Daniel.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 4:48 am

Ditto.

I would advise the OP to make him/herself scarce before s/he gets entirely roasted by the flames of indignant WP denizens, because said roasting will be entirely justified.

Oh, and by the way, I think I know why they don't like you. You're a jerk, and it's got nothing to do with Asperger's.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 4:54 am

I don't know, this is a difficult question.

I've had a boss once (one among some others, I worked a lot in my life) who was really well educated and all, supposed great responsibilities in the company but... he smelled awful. Ah pouah!
Once, he managed to do a good job and he was so pleased and proud of his sucess, and also surprised I think, that he wanted to hug me. Ah! Pouah pouah pouah!

And you should have seen his children! Poor them. I saw them once, at a Christmas party of the company: 2 teenagers wrapped in clothes... how to put it... more than old fashion and too small for them, as if there were poor little things in a poor little family.
But I can tell you that the father made very good money, especially for what he was doing!

So...

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 4:57 am

For the smell, there are people who can't help it: because of medications, fears, because they sweat a lot, there are many different causes to smell not too good or even bad.

And it's not always possible to improve it, even having a shower everyday, put on deodorant, brushing teeth.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 5:04 am

And there are also works which stink and you bring back home those smells.
And I'm not speaking of working in a McDo, no, much worse than that.

For a non-smoker, I can be a very stinky person.
I've been told so many times :(

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 5:06 am

I think I've mentioned it about half-a-dozen times (why, I have no idea; it's just a handy example of ED, I guess), but I didn't learn to take regular showers until I was about nineteen or twenty. Seriously. If you're gonna look down on somebody for bad hygiene, you're being awfully picky. It's a really simple executive dysfunction problem that can get a "high functioning" Aspie just as easily as anybody else on the spectrum. It's not actually all that simple to engage in a boring, non-preferred activity to which you have a negative sensory reaction--and that's just once; now try making sure you do it every single day. I don't know if you guys who haven't dealt with the problem can really identify with it; but trust me when I say that hygiene failures are neither uncommon nor a sign that one should be institutionalized for one's own good.

Not that that obliges you to stay anywhere near the stinky individual, of course. I'm not fond of being near stinky individuals, myself, and more than one I've encountered seems to be quite neurotypical--just male and unaware that "stinky" doesn't make you more masculine.

Have you considered the effects of drugs on those people you were observing, by the by? Give me an antipsychotic (or Ritalin for that matter) and I look pretty dead-eyed myself.

... and you're seriously going to get on their cases about not being able to speak well? Yeah. Good luck with not making the pot/kettle association the next time you're stuck stuttering and monotone-lecturing and using canned pre-recorded messages in a conversation.

Oooh, they're funny looking smelly people who can't talk right! Let's all run far far away and feel majorly superior! :roll:

Autism Memorial:

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 5:14 am

I can't run very long.
I can run fast but for a short distance.

Do I have to feel inferior to a young man who is more than 30 years younger than me and non-smoker I'm sure?

:|

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 5:18 am

bdhkhsfgk I've noticed you've been in a raging fury for the last several posts. I don't know what's going on in your personal life but maybe you should resist posting and go kick a wall instead. There's a saying-Don't $hit where you eat- in other words don't mess up a good place to be. 8O

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 5:38 am

I kinda doubt Downs people get treated better than the aspies anyway. They get nothing but pity and people thinking they're big infants. I wouldn't want that any more than I like being rejected for being weird. Actually, I think I'd like it less, because at least a weird person is presumed to be making her own decisions and isn't called "a cute little thing" much past the age of ten. there's something really insidious about people writing you off as an object of pity or a little angel or something of that sort; it completely takes away the reality that you're a human being, and an adult human being at that. No, I don't envy them for it. The best you can aspire to among people who treat you like that is the status of a pet dog.

I'd rather be hit by somebody who saw me as a threat or an easy target, than patronized by somebody who saw me as an angelic little not-quite human. But that's just me. Trust me, disabled people of all sorts get all sorts of prejudice. Some people are just more polite about it. I don't think it makes it any easier to live with.

Autism Memorial:

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 6:41 am

zena4 wrote:
And there are also works which stink and you bring back home those smells.
And I'm not speaking of working in a McDo, no, much worse than that.

For a non-smoker, I can be a very stinky person.
I've been told so many times :(

For work, there is nothing you can do if you stink after that. If you stink after you've taken a shower, there is nothing you can do with it. Hovewer, if you REFUSE to go to the shower, that makes you stink both psysically and "stink" as a person. Everybody should shower, but I refuse to think that a downie/ret*d or a HFA person should not shower, at least the HFA people, they should be able to do all the things I can do, and shower is NOT an exception, something of the easiest you can do, and it is goodk, I am very happy I am smart enough to shower myself, so nobody has to molest me in the shower like a pedophile, the worst combination is being a ret*d girl who has to get showered by her dad, NASTY, although he probably loves it.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 6:48 am

Callista wrote:
I think I've mentioned it about half-a-dozen times (why, I have no idea; it's just a handy example of ED, I guess), but I didn't learn to take regular showers until I was about nineteen or twenty. Seriously. If you're gonna look down on somebody for bad hygiene, you're being awfully picky. It's a really simple executive dysfunction problem that can get a "high functioning" Aspie just as easily as anybody else on the spectrum. It's not actually all that simple to engage in a boring, non-preferred activity to which you have a negative sensory reaction--and that's just once; now try making sure you do it every single day. I don't know if you guys who haven't dealt with the problem can really identify with it; but trust me when I say that hygiene failures are neither uncommon nor a sign that one should be institutionalized for one's own good.

Not that that obliges you to stay anywhere near the stinky individual, of course. I'm not fond of being near stinky individuals, myself, and more than one I've encountered seems to be quite neurotypical--just male and unaware that "stinky" doesn't make you more masculine.

Have you considered the effects of drugs on those people you were observing, by the by? Give me an antipsychotic (or Ritalin for that matter) and I look pretty dead-eyed myself.

... and you're seriously going to get on their cases about not being able to speak well? Yeah. Good luck with not making the pot/kettle association the next time you're stuck stuttering and monotone-lecturing and using canned pre-recorded messages in a conversation.

Oooh, they're funny looking smelly people who can't talk right! Let's all run far far away and feel majorly superior! :roll:

Wow, not being able to take showers after the ag of 19 or 20, medal. The age one should learn to take a shower is around 15, that should be normal, one does not need to shower more than one time per second day, unless you have exercised or trained, or going to a party for example. It's very dangerous if you do not take a shower per second day, you may end up getting SEVERE damages, you can get all kinds of nasty things on your body + being extremely sick, + STINKING LIKE BLACK HELL. One of my aspie friends........ Takes a shower one time in a week or two weeks, I sniff his hair; ......... ........... :eew: :eew: :eew:. I feel very sorry for those who cannot shower themselves, I myself takes a shower per second day, but I do it at night, because my hair gets a ll messed when I step out, but gets good the next morning :P

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 6:50 am

zena4 wrote:
I can't run very long.
I can run fast but for a short distance.

Do I have to feel inferior to a young man who is more than 30 years younger than me and non-smoker I'm sure?

:|

Don't feel inferior to me, I am expected to be in good shape as of my age.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 6:50 am

Aimless wrote:
bdhkhsfgk I've noticed you've been in a raging fury for the last several posts. I don't know what's going on in your personal life but maybe you should resist posting and go kick a wall instead. There's a saying-Don't $hit where you eat- in other words don't mess up a good place to be. 8O

I will end my rage soon enough.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 6:54 am

Callista wrote:
I kinda doubt Downs people get treated better than the aspies anyway. They get nothing but pity and people thinking they're big infants. I wouldn't want that any more than I like being rejected for being weird. Actually, I think I'd like it less, because at least a weird person is presumed to be making her own decisions and isn't called "a cute little thing" much past the age of ten. there's something really insidious about people writing you off as an object of pity or a little angel or something of that sort; it completely takes away the reality that you're a human being, and an adult human being at that. No, I don't envy them for it. The best you can aspire to among people who treat you like that is the status of a pet dog.

I'd rather be hit by somebody who saw me as a threat or an easy target, than patronized by somebody who saw me as an angelic little not-quite human. But that's just me. Trust me, disabled people of all sorts get all sorts of prejudice. Some people are just more polite about it. I don't think it makes it any easier to live with.

Downs people ARE seen as angels, they are valued very much by society, they are loved, they love, have jobs, and good friends, hovewer I can not understand why aspies are looked down upon, i wonder if I bought up a subject about a famous aspergian would get me more respect? Either it would or they would not respect the famous aspergian anymore, I would love to do that, maybe.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2009, 7:13 am

Those people probably looked stoned because they were stoned. You said they "took about a hundred drugs". Probably only 2-4 drugs but that will do it.

There is something really heartbreaking that I've seen in some posters who are very intelligent and Aspergian. It's the tendency to rank people as better or worse depending on percieved intelligence or actual IQ score- as though all humanity were on a linear scale going from "worthless" to "superior" depending on IQ score. Part of this is that the developers of IQ tests actually say "superior intelligence" for those who score above a certain number which gives those people a real jumping off point for this feeling. What is the opposite of superior? Inferior. It takes an act of will not to go there. There is also an "eff you" element to it (very understandable)- a way of saying to the NT world at large, "you think you're better than me because you can do (----) and I can't? Well maybe I'm better than you because I scored (----) on an IQ test and you scored lower. Smarter is better."

Whenever I've read those sorts of posts, my first niggling thought is, "if a high IQ score makes you "superior" to the average=scoring NT, how do you feel about your lower scoring HFA and LFA brethren?" Sadly, now I know. If a high IQ score makes you feel like a better person than an average scoring NT, those who scored <100, or heaven help us <70 are practically the scum of the earth. Per this post. It breaks my heart.

Why does it break my heart? I'm not selfless and openminded. I used to see the world with a sharp line drawn between those of "normal" intelligence and those who were "ret*d". I didn't despise the "ret*d" but neither did I feel any kinship or commonality. They might as well have been a different species. Some people don't need a slap upside the head to get out of the mindset, they never had it in the first place (Callista, as a rather obvious example). I didn't get a paradigm shift until my autistic daughter quite literally flunked an IQ test, earning her the label of LFA. I googled my brains out and came to the conclusion that she was smarter than all that, the IQ test underestimated her. That was phase one of the paradigmn shift. Then I did a lot more soul searching and came to phase 2 of the paradigm shift. She didn't lie on the other side of the line with me and the other "good scorers". The line was imaginary. The test didn't just underestimate her. I underestimated ret*d people in general. I didn't give them the credit they deserved for the unique ways their brains worked. I didn't accept them fully as unique humans regardless of how "smart" they were. Why is smart a necessary precondition of worth?

For the record, my daughter looks and smells great. She is- quite frankly- beautiful. (It even says "attractive" in her medical assessment. That seemed so bizarre to me that I questioned the doctor, who told me that "every little bit counts". I suppose it was some roundabout way of saying "no malformations".) Not that beauty is a precondition of humanity either. Just saying. She isn't "stoned" because she's on the lowest possible dose of the weakest possible medication. You might even enjoy talking to her, LFA though she is.

Shout out to Callista: Long before Google led me to WP, it led me to Callista's blog. That blog was a vital part of my re-education and eye-opening. That and having somebody I love score very low on the IQ test.