Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bozewani
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2009, 1:18 pm

Just a question. NTs say we are weird so define wierd.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 1:22 pm

Functioning in an unexpected, irregular or otherwise unique manner. I'm guessing...

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 2:11 pm

I've been called weird before many times and I certainly don't go out of my way to be eccentric. I dress for comfort and I'm quiet by nature so I'm not sure why people think I'm weird. I don't put on a false mask. Is that the weirdness?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 2:23 pm

Weird in NT speak = incomprehensible, mystifying, unusual & enigmatic.

It means they don't get you. Your perspective is askew from the norm, therefore sometimes your behaviors may appear odd and unexplainable (not to you, to you it all seems perfectly rational, even preferable to what 'most' others might do).

But they notice, they just can't follow the train of thought that led you to do things the way you do them, thus "you're weird" (strange).

Usually, the phrase seems to me to be a humorously deprecating exaggeration, but then I, too, am 'weird', so I could be misinterpreting the intent of the remark. It may be an outright insult.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2009, 3:19 pm

Weird is generally a pejorative term that has almost no precise descriptive value. If you hear that someone is "weird", without additional information you know almost nothing about the person other than she/he is being put in negative light.

Of course, as Willard suggested, most pejorative words, including weird, can be used on oneself and among close friends as self-deprecating/inside humor. In any event, I don't consider myself weird. Different, yes, but not weird. It may please our detractors, but I don't think it helps our cause to describe ourselves to the general public as weird.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 3:36 pm

:? Most people I like would be offended to be told that they WEREN'T weird.

TheCurs
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Sep 2009, 4:26 pm

Weird - not fitting in I suppose. Personally I've always thought anyone who was so eager to fit "the norm" (whatever that is) must be pretty weird. Been called weird plently of times and everytime it was by the type of person I wouldn't cross the road to piss on if they were on fire, so now when it happens I just laugh inside at them and turn the other cheeck and thank my lucky stars I wasn't born narrow-minded and easily pleased.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 5:21 pm

There's relative weirdness and there's universal weirdness. Relative weirdness is a sociological, (sub)cultural, and socially constructed thing, while universal weirdness is a biological thing. Defining is the easy part. The hard part is knowing where the line between both of em are, when they overlap, how much they overlap, and the dynamics of overlapping.

Example of relative:

Fashion trends
Invented gestures
Taste in music
Knowledge of current things (music, movies, the world, etc.)
etc...

Examples of universal:

Facial expressions
Body language
Instinctive gestures
The way you walk
The way you talk
The desire to socialize (We are commonly thought of as social beings)
Your pattern of thinking
etc...

Since the part about "Your pattern of thinking" is hard to define, I'll give an example:

NT: Hold on, I need to go buy a bong from that head shop across the road. I'll be back in a second.
AS: A second? Are you serious? It'll take 12 seconds to cross the road at the average walking pace, and if the lights are red, it'll be red for 30 seconds starting from when it got red.
NT: ...You're weird

As you see in this conversation, common aspie traits are: Fixation on small details and literal interpretation. Both traits oftenly overlap, and the results can be awkward lol. An NT knows that a second isn't literally a second, and since they don't fixate on little details as much as we do, the exact time it takes to get back isn't important. Our literal interpretation comes from the fact that we don't fill in the blanks of what has been said (which is why the aspie in this convo felt the need to point out the lights).

So yeah, try not to overanalyze what I said. The concepts are cut and dried, but the details are complicated. I'm trying to help you, not give you a psychology trivia. Long post short, just remember there's three things: Universal weirdness, relative weirdness, and an overlap between the two.

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 11:09 pm

Weird = Awesome

I can't remember any time in my life when I ever wanted to be normal. I always wanted to be different. My kid tells me I'm weird and I say thank you. Unfortunately nearly everything in my life is simply "different" and fails to achieve the transcendence of genuine weirdness.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 3:07 pm

wierd is subjective. enough said.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 4:31 pm

Bozewani wrote:
What constitutes wierd

My answer:
And just what is it that constitutes the assumed normal that it is contrasted with?

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 4:36 pm

Weird is basically anything abnormal and out of the ordinary. Since we do not fit the norm, our kind is considered weird.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 6:13 pm

"Weird", is acceptance in denial. :lol:

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 6:29 pm

haha :lol:

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 10:00 pm

My mother used to hate it when people called me weird or unusual. She used the term "unique."

I like the term "weird," myself. :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2009, 10:49 pm

Everyone has their own definition of weird, but it often means any act or belief considered undesirable to that person.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!