Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

hairmonster85
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Sep 2009, 9:40 am

http://stores.lulu.com/hairmonster85

It's free to download, and hoping to turn it into a legitimate magazine/business/non-profit organisation

Thanks,

hairmonster85
should post here more than I do

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 12:29 pm

I suggest you foward this to some organisations, you might become their press arm or be funded. I looked through the first issue, it looks professional enough. :)

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2009, 9:34 pm

Yes, your magazine is well done and you have clearly put a lot of work into it. The insertion of political rants into an AS magazine, however, might be off-putting to many.

hairmonster85

16 Oct 2009, 10:46 am

It is a bit angry, but it's through frustration at being unemployed and being put through several ineffective charities since graduation three years ago. I'm applying for a grant ATm, which if I get it, could be as much as £2,000, so I could get it off the ground.

Thanks for the comment :)

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 8:35 am

I find it interesting how anti-capitalist you are, yet, you are engaging in writing your own magazine, publishing it and wanting to turn it into it's own self-sufficient medium. As far as I can remember back from economics class, this is called enterprenuism, and it can only exist in a capitalist society!

The problem as I see it with capitalism is not necessarily that capitalism is bad, but that we need more intellictuals to go out and make money on their own, instead of waiting for big corporate conglomerates to hire and support them. There are many ASD people that have done this over the years and have become quite successful. These people would not have been able to do this in non capitalist countries. The problem exists when the government gets in the way of people trying to make something of themselves and make a viable, self-supporting business. This typically happens through over-regulation, or over-taxing.

I believe that sometimes autistics can be our own worst enemies. Here we are wanting to become viable, contributing members of society and be self-sufficient like everyone else, yet we lobby the government to give us this and give us that and restrict this and that. The results of all this is that we become dependant on government to support us, and due to all the restrictions and taxation, could never make it on our own.

I speak this based on the fact that I own and operate my own business. I started it because nobody would hire me, or if they did, I wouldn't stay hired for any length of time. I am glad I live in a capitalistic society that has allowed me to support myself. The biggest challenge I have in keeping my business operational is not competition from other business or a lack of business, but government regulation and taxes that make it harder and harder to keep the doors open!

hairmonster85

06 Nov 2009, 10:12 am

I'm intending to run it as a horizontally-organised Workers' co-operative, as that's the only way in which I believe it would work. Also, I couldn't care less about profit, and the main reason I want to do it is so that I and other autistics can work on it and write about issues that affect us