Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 9:19 pm

As of today, I became the Director of the West Coast Asperger Women Association. I am trying to network females with AS and HFA so that we can form support groups to focus on women's issues and have an organized way to disseminate information to the women's community. If you would like to become involved, please let me know here or send me a PM. I'm also looking for volunteers in California, Oregon, Washington State and Idaho.

Our New Links:

http://www.myspace.com/westcoastawa

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Coas ... 9238806736

http://www.twitter.com/westcoastawa

Thanks in advance! I'd like to see us more united as a community of autistic/AS women.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 9:22 pm

Idaho doesn't count. :P

Congrats!

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 9:49 pm

I'm in British Columbia. That's close to Washington.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2009, 10:51 pm

Is there an east coast association?

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 3:40 am

Yes, there is an east coast association. The east coast is state by state, whereas we have a midwest and a new west chapter, that I have.

http://www.sharondavanport.com/

(To find a Chapter in your area.)

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 4:11 am

Thanks everybody! I've received three PM's about volunteering and I appreciate that so much! If you are also interested in putting your passion together with the passions of others to help AS women, I'd really like to hear from you.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 6:55 am

Dilbert wrote:
Idaho doesn't count.

Ssshhh. They don't know that.

The kind of people that get involved in organizations that have the word "Women" in the title think Idaho is a west coast state, but not Nevada or Arizona, which are both closer to the west coast than Idaho.

But it's okay, it isn't sexist, not like "White Race Asperger Association" would be racist.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 7:13 am

CanyonWind wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
Idaho doesn't count.

Ssshhh. They don't know that.

The kind of people that get involved in organizations that have the word "Women" in the title think Idaho is a west coast state, but not Nevada or Arizona, which are both closer to the west coast than Idaho.

But it's okay, it isn't sexist, not like "White Race Asperger Association" would be racist.

Welcome back CanyonWind! Instead of snapping at them, maybe you could offer to use your 'passions' to help them? :lol:

But seriously, it looks like AS women are forming organisations all over the place..and what are the AS men doing? A well organised group of AS men could bring a nation to a standstill if our requests were ignored. The world runs on computer software these days...

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 9:41 am

I felt like Idaho was close enough. I might skip it though. I'm thinking of Hawaii and Alaska though. Don't they count as west coast? I have a contact in Alaska.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 10:24 am

Congrats, WhiteTiger !

I suggested WhiteTiger for our AWA and made the connection between her and AWA and I'm proud of it, I think I made a wonderful choice, so why shouldn't I boast?

And ManErg, applause for your post ! !! !! !! !

CanyonWind should start a movement for men who claim their equal, non-sexist right to go to the Gynecologist.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 11:35 am

ManErg wrote:

Welcome back CanyonWind! Instead of snapping at them, maybe you could offer to use your 'passions' to help them? :lol:

But seriously, it looks like AS women are forming organisations all over the place..and what are the AS men doing? A well organised group of AS men could bring a nation to a standstill if our requests were ignored. The world runs on computer software these days...

Who's John Galt? ;)

I agree. I'm an engineer whose job is keeping a (small) part of the Interent working. We carry the burden of the World on our shoulders. Good social skills won't invent a longer burning light bulb or a new scientific theory or a nuclear reactor. They have acquired a lakeside mansion through my work, while I live in a rental apartment. If me and folks like me went on strike all these people would be screwed.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 12:04 pm

Dilbert wrote:
ManErg wrote:

Who's John Galt? ;)

I agree. I'm an engineer whose job is keeping a (small) part of the Interent working. We carry the burden of the World on our shoulders. Good social skills won't invent a longer burning light bulb or a new scientific theory or a nuclear reactor. They have acquired a lakeside mansion through my work, while I live in a rental apartment. If me and folks like me went on strike all these people would be screwed.

hmm, a union for engineers and technology workers on the spectrum would have to be open to both male and female, but it does sound like a terribly powerful idea. GO FOR IT.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 1:09 pm

Thank you so much again, Greentea! I've been busy non-stop since I accepted yesterday. I'm happy about the people so far who are interested in volunteering, and I'm looking forward to finding some more.

This is going to be a wonderful undertaking.. a broad network of aspie/autie women working together to make themselves known to the professional community and to the autistic community, to foster greater understanding and acceptance for our condition.

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 5:28 am

Dilbert wrote:

This is going off at a tangent, but it amazes me how "accepting" of being treated like 2nd class citizens we are. Thats those of us who have basically built and maintain contempory civilization. I've occasionally tried to throw a few suggestions of how powerful we really are to other geeks, but the feeling I get is that as long as they can play World of Warcraft for 6 hours every night, they're happy... :?

I may put this up on another thread, but a few years ago, somebody wrote a book that was about the IT geeks taking power, and that is where I first realised that there is a scam going on. That our employers are scamming those with the skills. I just can't remember the name of the book...help!! ! :? But that is where I first heard the idea that those who really run the show are not being fairly rewarded. I do rememember it had some gross sex scenes in it too, that seemed totally out of place given the overall plot.

Quote:
hmm, a union for engineers and technology workers on the spectrum would have to be open to both male and female

No, not at all. :wink: Women have their own groups, as this thread shows. Isn't it amazing how on a thread started by somebody who's created a female Aspie group to further the rights of female aspies, at the first mention of AS men doing similar, we have a suggestion that we have to let women in. :roll:

Maybe CanyonWind is right. Maybe an "AS Male Group" would be banned for being sexist. Ironic really as AS men are by far the majority, so from an objective view of "improving the state of the world", we should be addressing the AS male issues first.

That aside, I'm intrigued to find out exactly what such an AS group actually *does* to further it's interests.'Networking' (in the social, not computer sense) is exactly what I do not do well at all. So I'm curious about a bunch of people apparently similar to myself, trying to 'network'.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 10:53 am

ManErg wrote:
Quote:
hmm, a union for engineers and technology workers on the spectrum would have to be open to both male and female

No, not at all. :wink: Women have their own groups, as this thread shows. Isn't it amazing how on a thread started by somebody who's created a female Aspie group to further the rights of female aspies, at the first mention of AS men doing similar, we have a suggestion that we have to let women in. :roll:
you missed the point. there are enough women who work in IT and engineering that a special interest group excluding them based on their sex would be needlessly discriminatory. a group for women with a particular condition is not discriminatory because spectrum females are grossly underrepresented by advocacy groups and unrecognized by the medical and educational systems, and as a result disadvantaged when it comes to things like diagnosis and support.

if you want to talk about a support network for men on the spectrum, go ahead, and the merits can be discussed. male and female needs are different, so it would make sense, BUT a group whose bargaining power is based on the value of the professions represented should not discriminate based on sex, unless its purpose is to represent an historically underrepresented group.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 10:54 am

ManErg wrote:
Ironic really as AS men are by far the majority, so from an objective view of "improving the state of the world", we should be addressing the AS male issues first.
this statement is so offensive it made me want to throw up.