There needs to be some documentaries...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

bistromathics
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2009, 7:39 am

to help people on the specturn learn social skills, especially like holding friendly conversations with people, with examples of conversations that they pick apart piece by piece and discuss the significance of each part of what the participants are saying. Hopefully in a more intellectual manner than some of the videos I've seen about social skills, which have been about teaching BASIC BASIC skills like how not to pick your nose when people are talking to you :) So, does anybody know of such a thing, just like a sort of documentary about more advanced social skills topics that people on the Aspergers end of the spectrum might find difficult to comprehend?

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 8:14 am

No but your topic got me to thinking about the behavior help IMO I truly need! My behavior has already landed me in trouble in College and a job so IMO have someone a Psychologist observe my behavior (me not knowing or it'd make me nervous of course) then they'd talk to my boss/coworkers etc. and then the Psychologist would report back to me they had issues with Y and X and here is how we can change that and give me direct tips on fixing my behavior (When I mention this to my therapist he said that'd break confidentiality and he wouldn't be able to do that.) :-( My Psychology teacher came to your house and saw you in your own environment a GREAT METHOD IMO. :-)

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2009, 8:36 am

You don't really need anyone to do it for you Zelda you can do it yourself. First of all read at least one book about body language (some are better than others), as soon as you start reading you should notice things that you're doing that maybe you'd be better off not doing.
More importantly you'll be able to tell why other people are doing certain things (things you wont have noticed before) and what they mean. Once you've a good idea of that you can then really start looking at how your behaviour differs from everyone around you.

I think it's important to do it in that order or there could be a lot of misinterpretation. Learn about NT behaviour before looking at your own.

I've only been doing this recently and have only just started looking at my own behaviour and it's a big shock I tell you. I knew I stimmed a lot but found out yesterday that I go into overdrive when people are around. Every one else is so still. It's hard to believe how tolerant people have actually been of me over the years if i've been this twitchy all along.

Anyway noone's going to make professional adult social skills documentaries until there's money to be made from it so your best bet is to learn it yourself. There's a lot of literature out there on the subject. Do an amazon search for 'communication skills' 'body language' 'small talk' 'socialogy' 'interpersonal communication' etc read the reviews before buying anything, if any of the reviews say 'everybody knows this stuff anyway so what's the point in this book?' then that's going to be useful to you.

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 8:53 am

Sociology and psicology books (professional ones) are also very good expecially if you focus on a particular subject (for istance: "Why teenager do that?") in NT-life there are groups (nerds, football/cheerleader, surfist crue, scientist society, large consulting societies, etc..) every group has is own rule and untold rule. After the basic knowledge you must choce wich group is best fitting for you. For example I grow up in a sea-side village near Rome, I had the year before learned how to interact with my "age-group" that I went to university at Rome to study physics. I was shocked how basically anything I have hardly studied didn't fit in.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 9:11 am

Thanks for the advice. :-) I'll look into some of those book topic you guys mention. :-)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 5:43 am

Quote:
not to pick your nose when people are talking to you

But how else are you meant to get them to go away? :?

Quote:
So, does anybody know of such a thing, just like a sort of documentary about more advanced social skills topics that people on the Aspergers end of the spectrum might find difficult to comprehend?

I don't, unfortunately, but I think that something like that would be a great idea.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I