Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 12:42 am

I'd love to be married some day. But romantic love seems something inattainable for me. I'd be lucky to get a date.
...It's a nice dream when I can shut off the cold parts of my mind...

AJY
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2009, 8:44 am

I have been married 3 times. Every marriage was a disaster, including the current one. In fact, out of all my relationships, the only happy ones were FWB arrangements with both partners free to do whatever with other people.

The most important aspect of any relationship is that both partners must want to be with one another. That's the only thing that matters. I do not need the government, church, family or any other azzhole to give their permission to be with one another or hold two people together by any means.

As a man, the way I look at the marriage is this:
Imagine going to bed with your girlfriend and suddenly finding Uncle Sam joining in. And, that Uncle Sam is one ugly homo... with the tool the size om Empire State building. The whole situation may not be good for my rear.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 11:40 am

Yagaloth wrote:
I'm 36, and there's not very much of my life left, so "'til death do us part" isn't that much of a commitment.

:o 8O

WHAT?! Why - are you planning on kicking the bucket at 40, or something?! Good grief, man! :roll:

~Steve Jobs

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 11:48 am

AJY wrote:
As a man, the way I look at the marriage is this:
Imagine going to bed with your girlfriend and suddenly finding Uncle Sam joining in. And, that Uncle Sam is one ugly homo... with the tool the size om Empire State building. The whole situation may not be good for my rear.

A hole new definition to the term "Foreign Oil Market" :lol:

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 11:59 am

Metal_Man wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
Metal_Man wrote:
Been there, done that. It's not worth it and will never do it again. I have a girlfriend and she lives in her house and i live in mine. We see each other when time permits. That is the ideal relationship.

Sounds like it to me. I take it you are both independent minded? (not in the "hey I'm an independent person" attention seeking dependent person).

I really don't get the whole fixation with marriage.

We are both independent minded and don't need a full-time live-in partner. We both want someone in our lives but don't need one. Big difference between want and need.

I agree. I started a thread about that awhile ago. I have no desire to get married again, or live with someone, but I enjoy companionship and I would happily be involved with someone under those circumstances.

EnigmaticPhilosophy
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2009, 12:48 pm

HELL f*****g NO. I absolutely REFUSE to ever get married. In fact, a girl wanting marriage at any point in time is a major dealbreaker for me.
Marriage is far too much work for nowhere near enough reward, and the matter of divorce is just UGH (long, arduous & expensive court battles, one side gets at least half of all the assets/custody of the child - usually the men get screwed over here but I've seen it happen to the women too). Not to mention having to deal with the other person every day, all day. Unless the two people are truly, madly, deeply in love, I just cannot imagine why anyone would want to put themselves through that.
IMO if two people REALLY care for each other than they don't need a ridiculously expensive ceremony & legal documentation to prove it - the affection that they have towards one another is more than enough proof.
Marriage IS NOT about love, it is about financial stability and familial preservation - therefore, problems arise when people try to make it about love. Don't believe me? Then just look to the American divorce rate for an example.

I can relate to what Metal_Man wrote. I too am a very independent person and don't need a full-time partner either. IMO a significant other is indeed a want, not a need - and more people seriously need to understand the difference between the two. It doesn't get you a degree, or a decent house, or a decent job. And it won't get you a paycheck, nor will it get your bills paid either.

Last edited by EnigmaticPhilosophy on 04 Oct 2009, 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 12:53 pm

EnigmaticPhilosophy wrote:
HELL f***ing NO.

Soooo....I'm guessing that's a pretty definite no, eh? :lol:

EnigmaticPhilosophy
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2009, 12:57 pm

CelticGoddess wrote:
HELL f***ing NO.

Oh yes, a definite no indeed. I'm too much of a lone wolf for marriage. And IMO it's not worth all the BS that it involves, either. I wouldn't mind a relationship, but so long as we both give each other some space.
Like I said - for me, an SO is a want, not a need.

Last edited by EnigmaticPhilosophy on 03 Oct 2009, 1:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 1:07 pm

CelticGoddess wrote:
HELL f***ing NO.

Oh yes, a definite no indeed. I'm too much of a lone wolf for marriage. And IMO it's not worth all the BS that it involves, either. I wouldn't mind a relationship, but so long as we both give each other some space.

I get what you're saying, and I don't disagree (see my posts above) I was just making a joke because you came out swinging with a pretty powerful hell no and it made me smile. ;)

EnigmaticPhilosophy
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2009, 1:14 pm

CelticGoddess wrote:
CelticGoddess wrote:
HELL f***ing NO.

I get what you're saying, and I don't disagree (see my posts above) I was just making a joke because you came out swinging with a pretty powerful hell no and it made me smile. ;)

uhh, glad I could make you smile then. :lol:
I may be young, but at least I know what I want outta life. 'Tis best to figure stuff like this out sooner rather than later - it saves a whole lot of time & trouble (and drama).

Awithliving
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Oct 2009, 2:30 pm

I don't wanna get married. But you know, heh, the things you can do for love. It's a pretty beautiful thing.

CrinklyCrustacean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 3:42 pm

Yes I do, and I'd like to have a family as well, but not yet. I'm too young. :)

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 11:28 pm

No.

I don't think I could handle my space being invaded.

Merle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2009, 11:42 pm

Yes, I would want to get married.

But do I expect or plan for it to happen? No. I actively campaign against it. As many people have posted, privacy, the ability to live one's own life and the hassle of a 'worst case' scenario divorce are all major risks.

There is an ideal in the back of my mind. Of the perfect person, of the perfect relationship and of the perfect setting. If the stars align, the person falls into my hands and the realm becomes reality then I'll be married.

But marriage for the sake of marriage? Just to try it out? No. I can be very happy/content with a relationship which does not include the attainment of marriage.

Yagaloth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2009, 3:53 am

SINsister wrote:
Yagaloth wrote:
I'm 36, and there's not very much of my life left, so "'til death do us part" isn't that much of a commitment.

:o 8O

WHAT?! Why - are you planning on kicking the bucket at 40, or something?! Good grief, man! :roll:

The last 15 years of my life have gone by in a rapid blur, and I don't expect things to slow down any. Maybe I'll live to 100 or more, who knows... but even my 100th birthday will be here before I know it.

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2009, 7:25 am

I do want to get married, but I also want kids and a family. Still, I'm willing to wait to make sure it's with the right person. I'm just glad that my girlfriend wants the same things.