Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2004, 7:48 pm

I just got back from the University of Memphis Open House, an event where you can take a tour of the university w/ a student or professor for free. i even got backstage clearance thanks to my dad, who is a part-time seinor at the Herff College of Engineering, which is part of the U of M.(that's the nickname for it.) they had everything, from an earthquake simulator to a soil liquification stunt where you could see a chunk of metal sink into a quicksand simulator, to a small robotic factory belt sim that took two parts and put them together, then sorted them by size, to a sample of porous concrete, to a robot arm challenge where you had to place a crystal block on another crystal block without touching them w/ your hands, to a REAL TESLA COIL!! ! it was quite fun. the only thing i regretted was that the Mech. Eng. students put up the hovercraft before i got there! They had built a primitive hovercraft that floated inches above the ground, and was still being developed (it had no horizontal propulsion system, so it couldn't move around). however, they put it up after lunch, and i got there about 1530 MT (3:30 CT). that was kinda sad, 'cause i definitely have an obsession about hovercrafts. i did a science project last year on them which won second place in the Scholastic Science Fair for my school (the winner had been a homemade hydroelectric generator)
which featured my own minuature radio-controlled hovercraft. i still have the project board, hehehe :oops: .

Anyways, has anyone been to a university open house or similar? if so, please tell me when, where, and relate your experience. If you are in college and have helped w/ a similar event, you are also welcome to post.

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

mentalman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Nov 2004, 2:10 am

Hey Archmage,

I am currently attending the University of Montana-Missoula's College of Technology (another U of M, by the way), freshman year. Back in August, I attended the open house, and really enjoyed it. It is a small campus, and the open house gave me the opportunity to meet most of my professors for the next two years (two-year Associate of Applied Science degree in Computer Technology - Information Systems Management Option) and grill them on their knowledge, and what I would be learning during my studies.

I also got to see the facilities, which included at least 5 computer labs, mostly a mix of Windows XP Pro/Windows 2000 Pro, with a Red Hat Linux or Solaris tossed in for variety.

The best part I thought though was all the people I got to talk to (at least 20) and how they were so excited to have me interested in attending the college.

Hope that's enough info - PM me if you want more.

mentalman

NanoTy
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2004, 1:37 pm

I am a freshman in college and I went to what is known as Connect with Tech last fall. I got a tour of campus and was able to spend the night with some sophmores. It was a great because it familiarized me with the campus and my dad, who is an alumni, was able to arrange a visit with one of the top nanotechnology researchers in the world, Dr. Z. L. Wang.
If know you want to go into engineering, then I would strongly recommend that you at least consider Georgia Tech, as its engineering program is the best in the South. It can be demanding at times, but I am sure that you can handle it.