Page 1 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Phoenix22
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Oct 2009, 8:17 pm

it seems pretty new that female aspies are getting recoginzed as being different, similar but diferent. this liist is a start.
http://help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58d4f6 ... d4f6a.html

sbwilson
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Oct 2009, 8:36 pm

I can identify with nearly everything on this list.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 8:44 pm

Whoa-maybe 1 or 2 don't describe me.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 8:45 pm

sbwilson wrote:
I can identify with nearly everything on this list.

Ditto.

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2009, 9:11 pm

That is very, very good. Irisrises feels a little bit like she's 'typical', a very new experience for her. She doesn't identify with every detail but the general picture is eerily familiar.

Best of luck to the author in her work.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 9:13 pm

Yep, just a few out of the bunch that don't really fit me. I don't think I'm particularly artistic, although I do play with crafts, and I don't think of my habits as being particularly rigid. I've come close to public meltdowns, but haven't had one yet and haven't been dangerously misdiagnosed yet. The rest describe me pretty much perfectly.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 9:25 pm

I fit most of those traits (all but a few), although I am dx'ed NLD rather than AS. Although possibly many AS females match the items on that list, I would bet that many geeky, but non-AS girls, also fit that list.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 9:41 pm

I am very much hyperlexic, eccentric, and as androgynous as you can get with large 'girls'. In fact, the ONLY thing on here that doesn't apply to me is the public meltdown, though I would have had one had my old boss not been made of win.

If these can be whittled down into some sort of diagnostic criteria, that would be brilliant. Then maybe, we female Aspies wouldn't spend all our time looking for answers where they caint be found.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 9:43 pm

the bold ones pertain to me

Dresses comfortably

Eccentric

Doesn't go out much. Will go out with partner only or children if she has them

Will not have many girlfriends and will not do 'girly' things like shopping with them or having get-togethers to watch chick-flicks

Is youthful for her age, in looks, dress, behavior and tastes. Some may call it emotionally immature

Sometimes has meltdowns in public, sometimes over seemingly small things (sensory issues usually)

Is very outspoken at times, mute at others

May or may not want to have a relationship. If she is in a relationship, she probably takes it very seriously but she may choose to remain celibate or alone

Often musical, artistic

Usually loves animals but not always due to sensory issues

May have many androgynous traits despite an outwardly feminine appearance

May have been misdiagnosed as bi-polar or manic depressive. Probably given scads of different medications by doctors (and often those doctors are dismissive and insulting)

May be highly educated but will have had to struggle with social aspects of college. May have one or many partial degrees

Can be very passionate about a course of study or job, and then change direction or go completely cold on it quick as lightning

Usually smart as a whip, yet sometimes can be thick as porridge. Again, due to sensory overload and cognitive processing issues

May not have a strong sense of self, and can be very chameleon-like, especially until older (forties, fifties)

May have a strong interest in computers, games, graphic design, inventing, things of a technological and visual nature

Most of the time, she will be a self-taught reader, hyperlexic, and will possess many other self-taught skills as well. Many of those skills will be traditionally thought of as male

She may like rules, discipline, regulation, despite unconventionality; order in chaos. Because of this, she may seem old-fashioned in some ways--very Jane Austen or Emily Bronte in thinking and manners, which will seem contradictory to her progressive nature

Very rigid in certain habits, again which will contradict her seeming spontaneity

Needs control over her world

She sometimes seems like one of the guys, but if she likes a male, she can be extremely, noticeably awkward, and even, when younger, stalker-ish. This is because she fixates and doesn't understand societal gender roles.

thats 16 out of 22 are me

Last2Know
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Oct 2009, 9:45 pm

Thank you for this... I fit Every. Single. One. I'm blown away, especially about the misdiagnosis and being given "scads of medications". Yep, spent the entire '90's being (mis)diagnosed and medicated. What a waste.

L2K

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 9:48 pm

not me.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 10:01 pm

Aspie girls sound so awesome

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 10:15 pm

I fit everything but the misdiagnosis.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

08 Oct 2009, 10:16 pm

Very, Very Close. Hit nearly every one. 8O

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2009, 10:21 pm

I think a lot of these fit me well..... however.... I wonder if it doesn't just describe a personality type rather than a disorder? ASD's are based on a totally different set of criteria that are a lot less subjective...... So far as describing a "stereotypical AS female" is concerned.... the list could work.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 10:29 pm

whipstitches wrote:
I think a lot of these fit me well..... however.... I wonder if it doesn't just describe a personality type rather than a disorder? ASD's are based on a totally different set of criteria that are a lot less subjective...... So far as describing a "stereotypical AS female" is concerned.... the list could work.

wow, me too, stereotypically AS. Who knew? :roll:

Merle