Initiating physical affection

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

aspie-gf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2009, 7:25 pm

I've been seeing my boyfriend for 10 months now. We're having alot of problems, but I love him. Three months into the relationship he told me he has Aspergers Syndrome - I guess he couldnt explain the way he'd been acting anymore. A friend of his recently told me that he didnt believe my boyfriend has Aspergers. I've read alot about AS and initiating affection, and apparently this is very rare. He's the most affectionate boyfriend I've ever had, always has his arm round me, initiates pretty much everything - is this normal for someone with AS?

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 8:03 pm

There are as many different kinds of "affection types" within people with Asperger's as there is out in the "typical" population. I have two sons on the spectrum, and BOTH of them are really quite affectionate.

He sounds nice! Enjoy the affection!

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2009, 8:36 pm

If a person with Asperger's can show affection, it tends to be an unusually large amount of affection. I can be that way. Right now I'm interested in a girl and like to give her a hug each time i see her. People with Asperger's have trouble knowing how much affection is normal to give.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 9:07 pm

It's not unheard of. I am one of those who initiates.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 3:14 am

kingtut3 wrote:
If a person with Asperger's can show affection, it tends to be an unusually large amount of affection. I can be that way. Right now I'm interested in a girl and like to give her a hug each time i see her. People with Asperger's have trouble knowing how much affection is normal to give.

^^ Yaaye, I believe I very much agree kingtut3. I believe I find great difficulty in initiating affection as I believe that I do not understand if a certain action is appropriate for the individual in question.

Optician_Of_Urza
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2009, 5:00 am

I never know how much affection is appropriate unless someone sets some precedents first. For example, a girl I know at uni hugs everyone, and is very affectionate towards her friends. So with her, I don't hesitate to be affectionate, but with others I don't know what is appropriate.

Gremmie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 7:40 am

I rarely initiate affection and generally just quietly accept any hugs people want to give me as I don't really know what's appropriate and don't want to make any fuss over anything. I am friends with other aspies though who started giving me hugs the second time we met, so yeh it definately differs between people.

racooneyes
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2009, 8:02 am

aspie-gf wrote:
A friend of his recently told me that he didnt believe my boyfriend has Aspergers.

This is kinfd of off topic but why if it took him 3 months to tell you are going around telling your friends about it? This is information that can seriously affect a persons life in a negative way if it gets out. Talk to your folks or people on the net not someone in or potentially in his social circle. It's out now and since she's skeptical (obviously she must be a neuro-psychologist or some other kind of AS expert) it probably means she has a poor opinion of him, do you really think she'll keep it to herself?

get all confused and then mix up the dates.

aspie-gf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2009, 8:51 am

Thanks for the replies :)

Quote:
He sounds nice! Enjoy the affection!

He's just gorgeous! Intelligent, quirky and funny. The only thing that bothers me is the the aggression, but hopefully he'll be able to control it eventually.

aspie-gf wrote:
A friend of his recently told me that he didnt believe my boyfriend has Aspergers.

Quote:
This is kinfd of off topic but why if it took him 3 months to tell you are going around telling your friends about it? This is information that can seriously affect a persons life in a negative way if it gets out. Talk to your folks or people on the net not someone in or potentially in his social circle. It's out now and since she's skeptical (obviously she must be a neuro-psychologist or some other kind of AS expert) it probably means she has a poor opinion of him, do you really think she'll keep it to herself?

My boyfriends friend, not mine. The only person I've told is my mum.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2009, 5:59 am

some are more closed off than others.

your BF is a little like me then possibly. i initiate things, not with a s**t ton of people though. and oddly it's like a practiced art form to me. i've gotten comments before from different girls that quite frankly i'm one of the sweetest people they know, beautiful personality, etc. idk, just when i see someone i like, i just go into an "aim to please, courteous, & witty" mode. i can be very affectionate at such times. it makes me happy to make them happy. making the people i like happy also gives me feelings of self-validation i suppose. at least one thing i can seem to do right when i can manage it.

the whole situation is somewhat amusing to me. because i'm not sure why i am the way i am.
being single as i currently am, i suppose i might be doing it because perhaps at heart, i'm an attention-whore. no better way to get it than to give it.

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2009, 8:37 am

If someone leans in to give me a hug I usually kinda give them one back, but usually halfhearted cos I don't want to but easier to than to get the slack for rejecting. Same with handshakes. WHY does everyone need to shake my hand!?
I rarely initiaite unless its with friends, family or I am feeling the need to show someone how much I appreciate them, usually, but not always, during hyperness.
When I had a crush I neer initiated anything with him, it was always up to him cos I felt bad for liking him and was too scared of rejection.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2009, 11:11 am

Could be his touch sensory too, you're one of the few people who's natural hug feels comfortable to him, and thus can "cuddle" with comfortably. Just be sure to teach him your limits and make sure he understands the when and where for it. Bear in mind, im looking at this quantitatively given my lack of social experience in the matter. Other than that, i wish both of you well. :D

aspie-gf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Oct 2009, 9:28 pm

Thanks for the replies :D

PlatedDrake wrote:
Could be his touch sensory too, you're one of the few people who's natural hug feels comfortable to him, and thus can "cuddle" with comfortably. Just be sure to teach him your limits and make sure he understands the when and where for it. Bear in mind, im looking at this quantitatively given my lack of social experience in the matter. Other than that, i wish both of you well. :D

Thankyou :) Yeah I dont think he's very affectionate with many other people. He's mid 20's and I'm his first girlfriend, but I guess it comes naturally to him. I'm NT and physical affection does not come naturally to me - I have to wait for someone else to initiate it. I guess I've been lucky with him.

euphoria_revisited
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2010, 11:22 pm

Seanmw wrote:
some are more closed off than others.

your BF is a little like me then possibly. i initiate things, not with a sh** ton of people though. and oddly it's like a practiced art form to me. i've gotten comments before from different girls that quite frankly i'm one of the sweetest people they know, beautiful personality, etc. idk, just when i see someone i like, i just go into an "aim to please, courteous, & witty" mode. i can be very affectionate at such times. it makes me happy to make them happy. making the people i like happy also gives me feelings of self-validation i suppose. at least one thing i can seem to do right when i can manage it.

the whole situation is somewhat amusing to me. because i'm not sure why i am the way i am.
being single as i currently am, i suppose i might be doing it because perhaps at heart, i'm an attention-whore. no better way to get it than to give it.

Same here, on all points. Wish others would adopt the make others happy makes yourself happy philosophy though.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 11:53 am

Every Aspie is unique, we all affected in different ways and at different levels by each trait. Saying someone does not have AS because of one behaviour shows complete ignorance of how Asperger's works.