This just in: Mozilla: Firefox Users, Check Your Plug-ins

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Oct 2009, 4:54 pm

Mozilla: Firefox Users, Check Your Plug-ins

Quote:
Mozilla is now offering Firefox users a simple way to tell whether the browser's various plug-ins are up-to-date with the latest security patches.

Plug-ins are components installed by third-party software that power videos, animation and games in the browser, among other things. Outdated plug-ins can give malware an easy way into your computer, so it's important to make sure your browser has the latest, most secure versions. Even if you are normally vigilant about updating third-party software, occasionally a software update will fail to automatically patch its accompanying plug-in.....

Here is a direct link to the site: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 5:09 pm

Thanks.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 7:00 am

Is there a problem with Firefox / plugins at the moment?

Yesterday evening Firefox 3.5 (fully up to date) crashed on me twice. First time I've ever had problems with it. The vertical scroll bar kept locking up until web pages had fully loaded. On closing Firefox it gave a message saying it had crashed. Same problem when I ran it again.

Just checked the plugins as per Richie's link and three it could not detect the plugin version for. Do I actually need these three - I've not installed them myself, they must have auto installed at some point with other software:

1. Microsoft Office 2003, Office plugin for Netscape navigator.

2. Adobe Acrobat.

3. Windows Presentation foundation.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 5:25 am

^ I've disabled those three plugins. Interestingly the browser is noticeably faster at loading web pages now too. :?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 11:15 am

Interesting development.

Mozilla have just rolled out something that automatically removes Microsoft Net Framework Assistant which has forced installed itself on everyone's computer who had Visual Studio installed. Thanks Microsoft! Seems the Microsoft plugin has been responsible for causing Firefox stability problems and crashing it! A Mozilla pop up just appeared on my computer saying it has been removed due to these problems.

Microsoft had no business force installing anything in Firefox in the first place - let alone something that destabilises Firefox.

Hopefully Firefox will stop crashing now!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Oct 2009, 11:40 am

TallyMan wrote:
Interesting development.

Mozilla have just rolled out something that automatically removes Microsoft Net Framework Assistant which has forced installed itself on everyone's computer who had Visual Studio installed. Thanks Microsoft! Seems the Microsoft plugin has been responsible for causing Firefox stability problems and crashing it! A Mozilla pop up just appeared on my computer saying it has been removed due to these problems.

Microsoft had no business force installing anything in Firefox in the first place - let alone something that destabilises Firefox.

Hopefully Firefox will stop crashing now!

That just happened to me a few minutes ago, after reading the post I am quoting, I opened up my All In One side-bar/tool-bar and checked my add-ons and sure enough the M$ .NET framework thingy was in there.
Then I got a pop-up message that this add-on may be causing stability problems and I should hit the restart FF button to disable it. I'll see if there is any significant improvement in performance.

By the way this was on my net book running an earlier version (3.1.2) of Firefox. My laptop running
FF 3.5.2 has the MS Net disabled..

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 2:20 pm

I don't understand the need for extra plug ins, I only have Ad Blocker on, anything else is a waste of resources on my laptop

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 4:49 pm

Friskeygirl wrote:
I don't understand the need for extra plug ins, I only have Ad Blocker on, anything else is a waste of resources on my laptop

I also have Flash Block and NoScript both of which speed up web page load time enormously and make Firefox more secure against drive-by downloads of malware . I only have dial up internet so page load time is much more noticeable for me than others with broadband.

Regarding the plug ins that have caused the problem they were force installed by Microsoft without permission. Most people didn't even know they were there unless Firefox started crashing or misbehaving and happened to notice the plugins. Microsoft are a law unto themselves. I think it was scandalous that they meddled with Firefox without asking the end users for permission first.