Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 2:43 pm

Boy, talk about curiosity flying away.

CTV.CA

Quote:
FORT COLLINS, Colo. — Officials in Colorado are trying desperately to figure out how to rescue a 6-year-old boy who may have floated thousands of feet into the air in a homemade balloon aircraft.

Television footage showed the makeshift aircraft rising steadily through the air. It's located about 64 kilometres north of Denver and heading eastward.

"We were sitting eating, out looking where they normally shoot off hot air balloons. My husband said he saw something. It went over our rooftop. Then we saw the big round balloonish thing, it was spinning," neighbour Lisa Eklund told The Associated Press.

It's not clear yet, however, whether the boy is still on board, as the basket has been swinging from side to side. If a person were on board, the basket would presumably remain weighted below the helium-powered craft.

"Apparently a 6-year-old boy had climbed in the access door and is in the device at this point," Kathy Davis, a spokesperson with the Larimer County sheriff's office, told CNN. "We have contacted the FAA and one Air Force base, and a balloon company, and we're trying to determine the best course of action."

"We're just going to have to respond as best we can," Davis said. "This is a first and we'll do what we need to do."

The balloon is capable of reaching 10,000 feet, according to Eloise Campanella, another spokesperson for the sheriff's office.

Several local news agencies with helicopters have reportedly offered to help with the rescue effort.

It's not yet known whether air traffic controllers have been able to pick up the balloon on radar.

I can only wonder on how they are going to get the poor boy down.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 2:45 pm

I just checked CNN, they got the balloon down, but there is no one inside.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 3:02 pm

My god what a slow news day :roll:

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2009, 3:24 pm

The balloon is down but the child is missing, it is possible he may have fallen out.
Click here as this is a developing story: http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/15/colora ... index.html

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2009, 5:17 pm

They found him. He was in a box in the attic. Still developing story.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Oct 2009, 5:22 pm

Sigh of relief....

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/15/colora ... index.html

Found in a box in the attic of their home...

And the family was into extreme experiments...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/15/colora ... index.html

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 5:43 pm

deadeyexx wrote:
My god what a slow news day :roll:

Yes, it would only a little boy who went missing under extreme circumstances. Personally, my little cousin does that all the time.

I saw the first few minutes of the Wipe Swap they were on, and those kids are going to get killed before they're twenty. Maybe this will be a bit of a wake up call.

Three years!

Klint
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 5:53 pm

My instinct was telling me since I first heard about the family's unusual behavior that the boy was fine at home and this was just some sort of weird publicity stunt by the parents. :)

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 6:17 pm

This reminds me of the story of that guy in the lawn chair with all those helium balloons or something that floated for hundreds of miles...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Oct 2009, 6:20 pm

Kinda OT but I can really see how somebody could say a balloon like that would be an UFO is they it.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 6:43 pm

I bet a lot of people are pissed off...especially since they had to call in an air search and grounded planes at the nearby airport. :lol:

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 10:07 pm

I tried to find the wife swap to post it here but only found some crazy music video they made with the kids about how PJ's and toliets are for Wussies <cleaned up the word> didn't think it was suitable to post but if you care to go look it up I belive it saids alot about what kind of losers these kids came from. 8O

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Oct 2009, 10:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6UONWC ... r_embedded

If you do a hoax like this do not let the six year old talk. :lol:

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2009, 10:43 pm

I've seen the first episode of Wife Swap, and yes the family is very weird. The other family on the show is a over the top safety nut family, where the 2 boys are afraid to go in the woods because a coyote might eat them. They are even afraid to use the microwave, because it will give them cancer and other stuff as well.
They second episode the Heene family switches lives with another weird family and the mom is a psychic.

The second show is now on youtube if you want to check it out.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2009, 5:18 am

Turns out the whole thing was a hoax by the parents - they did it for the "show"! The kid accidentally let on while being interviewed by CNN.
I wonder if the parents will have to pay for the rescue costs or the cost of shutting down an airport?

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 3:49 am

TallyMan wrote:
Turns out the whole thing was a hoax by the parents - they did it for the "show"! The kid accidentally let on while being interviewed by CNN.
I wonder if the parents will have to pay for the rescue costs or the cost of shutting down an airport?

I can't be bothered working out the maths but I don't believe that such a small balloon filled with helium could ever lift a six year old boy.

If they can prove that it was a hoax then the father should go to jail.

I wouldn't punish the children by bankrupting the family but if they gave the parents a thousand hours of community service cleaning the streets then go for it!