Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 2:49 am

Do any of you guys have trouble explaining things to other people? I have lots trouble with this, and I think it's because of my visual thinking (or mainly thinking in pictures instead of words), and/or something else. I remember reading a poem written by another aspie, who let Tony Attwood put it in his book "Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals". It was about how whenever they asked for milk, they got wine, and whenever they asked for other things, they got a totally different response than what they wanted. I can't post the poem here at the moment, but maybe later when I have more time.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

autisticon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Feb 2006, 8:47 am

yes, definately. It all sounds perfect in my head, but when I actually try to pass that knowledge it on it gets lost somewhere in the process.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 10:04 am

Oh, I do, which is why I really talking, which is why I am having a whole lot of trouble in one of my classes that requires class discussion. I have what I want to talk about all written down so I DON'T sound like an idiot when I try to explain myself, and what happens?--Instead of following the script I'd made based on LAST class, she stands up and starts talking instead of asking, in order, a question everyone had on the reading. It threw me off for the whole class, so when I DID get asked what I thought, on something I hadn't stopped to think about before, all I could do was stumble through an incoherent answer.

I can explain anything on paper, but verbal communication is something I have a lot of work to do in order to become competent. Oh well. At least I can write well, which a lot of people can not do.

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2006, 2:27 pm

i used to have a lot of trouble, and i still do! but i've found that i'm getting better. like in math i'll have no problem explaning how to do a problem. it gets much easier with time, believe me!

Jerick
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2006, 7:08 pm

oh definitely. i was trying to explain this question of a math problem to my teacher one day, and everyone laughed cause the teacher got confused and he didn't get what i meant. and i felt weird and alienated that day... it still happens. and when i went up to the board often to teach, everyone would make me sit down cause they would be yelling at me and i couldn't teach at all. i never enjoyed that part of AS at all.

Jerick
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2006, 7:10 pm

dexkaden wrote:
Oh, I do, which is why I really talking, which is why I am having a whole lot of trouble in one of my classes that requires class discussion. I have what I want to talk about all written down so I DON'T sound like an idiot when I try to explain myself, and what happens?--Instead of following the script I'd made based on LAST class, she stands up and starts talking instead of asking, in order, a question everyone had on the reading. It threw me off for the whole class, so when I DID get asked what I thought, on something I hadn't stopped to think about before, all I could do was stumble through an incoherent answer.

I can explain anything on paper, but verbal communication is something I have a lot of work to do in order to become competent. Oh well. At least I can write well, which a lot of people can not do.

and also i had a good mind for writing, but speaking.. not my thing.... you know i would alway sexpress my anger in writing? it lets me think about my thoughts clearly

GSDwolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2006, 8:58 pm

I have trouble explaining things. I know a lot about dogs and whatnot, so my friends are always quizzing me because they think that I think I know everything about them, but I really don't. Compared to experts, I know so little I should be ashamed to call myself a dog lover... I mean, I'm in junior showmanship, so I know a lot more than your average teen, but I mainly know the most about GSD's.

SuchBrokenDolls
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2006, 9:14 pm

I Usually end up getting frusterated so the teachers just stopped calling on me. But I understand, yeah it sucks

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2006, 10:52 pm

I usually tend to confuse people when I'm trying to say something - it's quite normal for me to have to rephrase or re-explain things a few times before the other person gets it. Like someone else mentioned, I can communicate well in writing, but communication through talking can take a lot of effort and patience. Half the time it seems like it's just not worth the effort.

AspieGurl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2006, 5:02 pm

i forget what i'm saying when i'm talking to ppl alot. it's like my mine is blank and i can't think.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

22 Feb 2006, 9:56 pm

Occasionally. Usually it's when I get so excited about a topic that I start hitting the person I'm talking to with serious detail overload. (This generally happens when someone is foolish enough to talk to me about dogs.)

Stallion_72
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2006, 12:07 pm

I have this same problem. I have a lot of trouble explaining even relatively simple things to people. Sometimes if I'm in a comfortable situation with friends it's way easier but most of the time I just give up trying to explain something to another person.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2006, 12:04 am

Sometimes. I sometimes stutter and say garbled sentances that don't make a whole lot of sense. This often isn't a problem if I'm writing it though, or if I really think out EXACTLY what I'm gonna say.

Now, if I don't have the words at all then that's something else entirely. Sometimes I have a specific image in my head but cannot describe it because I wouldn't know what to call certain things, because my vocabulary doesn't extend to those areas.

Jerick
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2006, 10:07 pm

Veresae wrote:
Sometimes. I sometimes stutter and say garbled sentances that don't make a whole lot of sense. This often isn't a problem if I'm writing it though, or if I really think out EXACTLY what I'm gonna say.

Now, if I don't have the words at all then that's something else entirely. Sometimes I have a specific image in my head but cannot describe it because I wouldn't know what to call certain things, because my vocabulary doesn't extend to those areas.

Veresae, I also have problems saying some sentences. for example, when i dont have time to think, i will say something that makes no sense whatsoever...

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2006, 4:51 am

I think it's a pain having to explain things to people, even in written form, which is why I'll keep this short. So, questioners, if you're asking something that requires more than "yes", "no", or "fine" for an answer, then it is you who isn't putting enough effort into the conversation. :idea:

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 6:30 pm

I am HOPELESS. I prefer writing in my LiveJournal because I can ramble around the point for however long until I hit the right words and phrasing. But I'm so very terrible at putting my thoughts into words - I'm not sure why. I just have a feeling and it's fine in my head; I know what that 'feeling' (thought) is. But when it comes to communicating that thought, it's a complete nightmare. Which makes debates a bit ... well, challenging but that's not the right word. I can never put across my side of the story properly and always come away feeling thoroughly idiotic and stupid, and just annoyed that I can't express myself.

Thank you for askign this - I wondered if I was one of a minority.