College student with AS MURDERED by roommate

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 3:37 pm

Asmodeus wrote:
This story is curious, although it's reported in several places, none of them have either got a supposed motive, or that Jones has a mental condition.
People don't kill people for no reason, there had to be some motive, which so far hasn't been mentioned.

I imagine if the races had been reversed, many people would have little trouble coming up with a motive.

Maybe people could google Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom and trying to work out the motive there.

I suppose a hate crime is only a hate crime if the ADL or SPLC say so.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 4:16 pm

codarac wrote:
Asmodeus wrote:
This story is curious, although it's reported in several places, none of them have either got a supposed motive, or that Jones has a mental condition.
People don't kill people for no reason, there had to be some motive, which so far hasn't been mentioned.

I imagine if the races had been reversed, many people would have little trouble coming up with a motive.

Maybe people could google Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom and trying to work out the motive there.

Read the article I just posted. This guy had been smashing up the room with the bat BEFORE Hawkins arrived home. Curiously, the killer had been hitting himself in the head with the bat too. All this indicates some sort of psychosis, maybe the onset of schizophrenia. I doubt race had anything to do with it. The fact that the killer lunged at the cops with a knife in his hand, and was not stopped by what are called "pepper balls" basically beanbags filled with cayenne pepper, indicates somebody who was out of it.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 4:19 pm

The drug explanation appears reasonable, but I'll wait for the toxology report. So far all it says is he was interested in the book "The Spirit Molecule", and evangelised about it a little, nothing yet to qualify a motive.

codarac wrote:
Asmodeus wrote:

I guess so. Although personally I left race out of this entirely, student kills student, the reports didn't mention any race dispute, let's hope it doesn't get twisted into that.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 6:34 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
Regarding the victim defending himself. Knife to hand self defence is one of the hardest types, with the lowest positive outcomes. Knife to knife is difficult enough.

Don't you mean bat to hand? Says he was killed with an aluminum bat.

It doesn't say anything conclusively. But yes any weapon against no weapon is challenging. Aluminium bat offers some flexibility against it compared to a blade of the same length, but that doesn't make it easy. Aluminium bats are light, strong, easier to manoeuvre, less likely get stuck in things.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 6:35 pm

Asmodeus wrote:
I guess so. Although personally I left race out of this entirely, student kills student, the reports didn't mention any race dispute, let's hope it doesn't get twisted into that.

Codarac is not hoping to leave race out of it.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 12:17 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Tory_canuck wrote:
He should be executed for what he did.

Seconded.

Don't people usually get a fair trial before we start considering sentencing? From the DA (or Crown) proceeding with charges (1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder, manslaughter, etc) to the actual sentencing (if found guilty of the charges), there are many considerations. Was Mr. Jones insane (or in a psychotic state?, Was it premeditated?

Believe me, I am no bleeding heart - I don't believe in molly coddling criminals (although, I admit that I am not a proponent of the death penalty) - however, before immediately suggesting that this particular accused person be put to death, in a civilized society - there is a procedure of a fair trial which will determine degree of guilt and then appropriate sentencing thereafter.