I prefer drugs other than alcohol 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I drink every day 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
I drink every day and ALL day 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 78

immanuel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2009, 3:04 pm

I fit the in recovery option. Tho I have an alcoholic father, which may nor may not have contributed to it, it was definitely mainly owing to my general inability to fit in and feeling different that I started drinking alcoholicly.
Interestingly enough, if it was my aspergian alienation from others that started my drinking, it was my aspergian obsessive interests that stopped me: I decided I wanted to go back to uni to learn about philosophy. Had I not had that intense interest, it's no exaggeration to say i'd be either dead or miserably "dry drunk". So I guess in this respect as is a mixed blessing.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 3:10 pm

You need an option that says, "I've never tried alcohol." There are teenagers here, and adults who don't even like the smell of the stuff--I mean, come on, anything that smells like that has got to be a serious sensory aversive. Blecch.

Coffee, now... that I can give an opinion on. But alcohol just seems like it'd taste nasty. I don't like the smell of it, even the kinds that my grandparents insist taste good, so why in the world would I drink it, just to get silly and uninhibited? I don't like being silly and uninhibited as it is, because I always stick my foot in my mouth when I am, or lecture on for ages about my latest special interest and put everybody to sleep. I think I'd be a horribly annoying drunk. Everyone within ten feet would randomly get either my life story or a lecture on some random science topic. Plus, I like my brain the way it works now, not some other way.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 3:14 pm

Callista wrote:
You need an option that says, "I've never tried alcohol." There are teenagers here, and adults who don't even like the smell of the stuff--I mean, come on, anything that smells like that has got to be a serious sensory aversive. Blecch.

Coffee, now... that I can give an opinion on. But alcohol just seems like it'd taste nasty. I don't like the smell of it, even the kinds that my grandparents insist taste good, so why in the world would I drink it, just to get silly and uninhibited? I don't like being silly and uninhibited as it is, because I always stick my foot in my mouth when I am, or lecture on for ages about my latest special interest and put everybody to sleep. I think I'd be a horribly annoying drunk. Everyone within ten feet would randomly get either my life story or a lecture on some random science topic. Plus, I like my brain the way it works now, not some other way.

Agree with this guy. I've never even tasted alcohol, bad memories and experiences. Should have an option of "Alcohol is Anathema" to quote my earlier post ^_~

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 3:28 pm

I drink wine with food maybe once a month or so. I will have a beer or two on occasion.

Spirits are rare for me. I drink only whiskey on Burns' Night. I can probably count the number of other times I drink spirits during the year on one hand.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 3:43 pm

Vyn wrote:
Callista wrote:

Agree with this guy. ^_~

I believe Callista is a female Aspie :) .

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 3:45 pm

I have issues with somewhat severe social anxiety...and I have had a tendency to drink in order to diffuse it.
I don't really drink casually when I am doing stuff around the house, and I can generally go without drinking as long as I am not in public, but I am often subjected to socially and sensory-intense situations...and I feel the need to drink because it helps me relax and not feel so uncomfortable and overworked...

My good AS-ish friend has been a heavy beer drinker for years...It helps him deal with sensory overload...he views alcohol and pot as medicine, without which, he is very uncomfortable...
He openly admits to being an alcoholic...I'd say he is a functional alcoholic...
Hard liquor can cause him to have meltdowns though, so he usually avoids it

I can also have meltdowns if I drink too much and am out in public and there is no place where I can go to be alone.

My main partner Flakey (who is sorta ADD/PDD-NOS) has a tendency to drink to excess at times...for the same reason he says--social anxiety
He doesn't have meltdowns, but he can become very difficult to deal with...

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 3:54 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
Vyn wrote:
Callista wrote:

Agree with this guy. ^_~

I believe Callista is a female Aspie :) .

Woops! I'm quite sorry for that mistake. Should add a gender view thing to the quick profile on the left, I HATE getting peoples gender wrong when I refer to them ><

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

Cowbird
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Oct 2009, 4:24 pm

I've had a few drinks in my life but it has none of the effects everyone told me to expect. It does nothing for me at all, and tastes like battery acid. (People pay money for this?)

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:31 pm

For me drinking was always a social thing. I don't usually drink when I'm by myself, and I'm by myself a lot lately. I like going to bars or parties with friends. Also, booze is expensive and I'm poor. :roll:

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:47 pm

Vyn wrote:
Alcohol is anathema to me. The mere thought of consuming it is enough to put me into a nervous state. I avoid it like the plague and can't go near it, or anyone drinking it.

Now, I don't have anything against people that drink it, unless they let it basically rule their every waking thought. Just have massive mental control issues and anything that lessens that is simply anathema to me.

Actually yeah I feel like that too. Alcohol is just a really nasty habit.

Just noticed your profile. TSgt or MSgt maybe? ;) Eglin, Tyndall or MacDill?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:53 pm

I don't drink. Don't like the taste, and I am not sure how it would react with my Paxil.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:54 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
I believe Oscar Wilde once said;

'There is only one thing in the world worse than being drunk and that is NOT being drunk'..............or was it Churchill.................or R****T Do**ey Jr, or perhaps George Bush?

And as Homer Simpson once sai,

"To alcohol: the cause of, and solution to all of life's problems."

Way to quote Homer!! !

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 5:03 pm

immanuel wrote:
Interestingly enough, if it was my aspergian alienation from others that started my drinking, it was my aspergian obsessive interests that stopped me: I decided I wanted to go back to uni to learn about philosophy. Had I not had that intense interest, it's no exaggeration to say i'd be either dead or miserably "dry drunk". So I guess in this respect as is a mixed blessing.

That is probably the closest to my own experience: Drinking gave me a feeling of finally "fitting in" somewhere (beginning at age 24), and my special-interest obsession for detail and precision later (at 31) protected me from the sober-drunk-sober-drunk-sober-drunk-dead experience of so many real alcoholics today. In the presence of a horror movie I usually like to call "Recovering-ing-ing-ing", I am a life-student of "Alcoholics Anonymous", the book.

Poll Category: permanently recovered

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 5:54 pm

For one summer I drank a lot and it was the most social summer of my life. I drank because I felt awkward and unhappy at parties where I only knew a handful of people, and I also feel uncomfortable around drunk people. But it didn't take me long to realise that I don't like how I feel when I'm drunk. I have enough depersonalisation when I'm sober and being drunk just made it worse. Also I would blurt out more things than usual and so became even more self conscious than usual - some things still haunt me now even though I know for a fact that the other person doesn't even remember me let alone that specific conversation.

If I ever drink now, it's only because I really like the taste of pomegranate cider. But it's rare that I do, and I drink very small amounts.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Oct 2009, 6:28 pm

I used and abused alcohol as a so-called "social lubricant" and all it did for me was make me
a world class as& of myself and in the end it nearly killed me. I have been sober, cigarette and drug
free for eight years now.

zombiepanda
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Oct 2009, 6:58 pm

I drink occasionally. But not at bars; I'm an ANTI-social drinker. :p I can actually think pretty well even after several drinks of whiskey/soda mixed (what I usually drink. I hate most beers and the fact they make you need to pee 5000 times). I'm not like my old roommate, who was truly an alcoholic. I'm not so addicted I can't go without alcohol more than 2 days or have withdraws like him.

Everyone I know gets extreme when they are drunk but me, haha. I don't make a fool of myself, get angry, none of that. I just get tired and have really bad heartburn. And get hungry.

Btw, I'm drinking right now, consequently.